Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Same-sex Marriage.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll be the first to admit that it is a little strange to be walking down the street and see two people of the same sex kissing or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against it, but being brought up in a society where that is viewed as being wrong, and it's not very common to see, I think it simply has that effect. Or maybe it's because I'm straight and picturing a girl kissing another girl is gross to me. Do gay(or whatever term you want to use) people find it gross when they see heterosexual people kissing?

I have nothing against same-sex relationships/marriage though, I think people are entitled to get married to whoever they want to marry. Who's to say that a certain type of person can't fall in love with another certain type of person. It's just stupid, it's basically stopping people from being who they truly are, which is really quite horrible. It's limiting a person's freedom.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The thing about marriage (at least in this country) is that it is a religious construct controlled mainly by the folks in charge of religious organizations; yet being married entitles one to certain legal and social benefits, despite that little thing called the separation of church and state I've heard so much about. Equally beneficial "domestic partnerships" and the like are the obvious solution to this, but in my state and in many others, even those sorts of unions are neither issued nor legally recognized (in case you happen to have been issued one elsewhere).

I don't want to delve into a discussion on religion, but I'll say this: for something I do not participate in, Christianity has a startlingly powerful stranglehold on things like this in my personal life. This makes zero sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerane View Post
    Do gay people find it gross when they see heterosexual people kissing?
    No, but I guess that's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kihari View Post
    The thing about marriage (at least in this country) is that it is a religious construct controlled mainly by the folks in charge of religious organizations; yet being married entitles one to certain legal and social benefits, despite that little thing called the separation of church and state I've heard so much about. Equally beneficial "domestic partnerships" and the like are the obvious solution to this, but in my state and in many others, even those sorts of unions are neither issued nor legally recognized (in case you happen to have been issued one elsewhere).

I don't want to delve into a discussion on religion, but I'll say this: for something I do not participate in, Christianity has a startlingly powerful stranglehold on things like this in my personal life. This makes zero sense to me.

No, but I guess that's just me.
    You can have a marriage license issued by a court system, you do not need any sort of contact with any person in any religious organization at any time to become lawfully wedded. This is not a Church and State situation, there is no respect to specific religion, and non-religious people have a perfectly viable means of becoming married through the courts. Various religions practice marriage, and given that a vast majority of Americans practice some sort of religion, it's just practical that the religious leaders sign the marriage license.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pntbll248 View Post
    You can have a marriage license issued by a court system
    Quote Originally Posted by The Missouri State Constitution
    That to be valid and recognized in this state, a marriage shall exist only between a man and a woman.
    ^This (ironically enough) can be found in the State Constitution's Bill of Rights; most states have similar laws that also take advantage of the Defense of Marriage Act.

This is not a Church and State situation, there is no respect to specific religion, and ... given that a vast majority of Americans practice some sort of religion, it's just practical that the religious leaders sign the marriage license.
    I hope you'll forgive my cynicism, but the vast majority of the opponents of same-sex marriage, whenever the issue comes up, are certain religious figures, their most devout followers, and the politicians who either subscribe to their views or rely on them for monetary and political support.

Every. Single. Time.

You are right; there is nothing on the books interlocking marriage and religion. The same cannot, however, be said for the situation as it is found in reality, which, this being a social issue, is where it really matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...the vast majority of the opponents of same-sex marriage, whenever the issue comes up, are certain religious figures, their most devout followers, and the politicians who either subscribe to their views or rely on them for monetary and political support ... there is nothing on the books interlocking marriage and religion. The same cannot, however, be said for the situation as it is found in reality, which, this being a social issue, is where it really matters.
    Couldn't agree more with that statement, and also commend you for refraining from painting all religious figures with a wide brush and were precise in your accurate accusations.

There are religious groups out there within religious organizations that are accepting of homosexuality, gay marriage, and equal rights; they're just not as vocal as the side you pointed out, sadly.

There was once a time, not too long ago in the world's history when power was given to very few individuals based on whom you were born to (royalty & nobility), everyone else had to listen to them. This eventually ended (though many including myself would/will argue it constantly attempt to resurface). There was a time when being of African descent meant slavery, but this eventually ended. There was a time when being a woman meant being subservient to men, this eventually ended. There was a time when homosexuality was treated as a mental disorder, this eventually ended (though it tries to hang on). I like to believe that with all injustices, this fringe on equality will too pass - it may take years or decades, but eventually it will pass; I call this inevitability evolution =)

I was left to my own devices. Many days fell away with nothing to show. And the walls kept tumbling down in the city that we love. Great clouds roll over the hills, bringing darkness from above. We were caught up and lost in all of our vices. Oh where do we begin; the rubble or our sins? But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing's changed at all?