Quote Originally Posted by Kossu View Post
Finally, another thing that still baffles me to no end...and it seemed to be coming from the trailers was...the lack of colour and contrast. Colour is so very important in the visual arts to establishing mood. To evoke feelings like happiness, fear, hope etc. Just like music. And yet. The film seems for the most part washed out. Flat. Like a documentary from the 90s. It seemed to me like the most succesful mood-setting scene was battle for Pride rock, where the colours were inevitably darker. But for the most part, the rest of the movie, doesn't deliver on that point. The most colourful scene of the 1994 film, "I just can't wait to be king" seems so boring and has lost its energy and life. I don't understand how a professional studio like Disney is okay with this washed out, amateuristic photographic style. It's like they aim for a 90s documentary style. I just don't get it. And it makes me sad, because I think that to an extent, better colour mood-setting would have helped made up for the lack of the characters expressions and help illustrate better the emotions they were experiencing.
We've seen it tonight in "super screen" (and wow, it was bad if you have sensitive vision, or get headaches quite easy, like me, was glad it was over, haha).
BUT ...
I also did think the coloring was a bit bland, not much contrast.
But it may all just depend on the theater and their screen.

Tonight was very vibrant, and lots of contrast! Much more colorful then the previous 2 viewings I saw at the cinema in town.
For this super screen viewing, we had to go to another theater.