Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: The Lion King Theory

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Lion King Theory

On the internet you'll find many theories about disney and how the movies are connected.
    I came across some other thoughts or theories.
    One of them claims that Mufasa was responsible for the great draught.
    YOu don't believe it? Go see for yourselves!

http://disneytheory.com/2014/05/18/thelionkingtheory/

As for me, I still don't think that really happend. I believe these elements are there for dramturgical reasons and not because Mufasa pulled the strings.

But what do you think?

"Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."
    ~ Brom, "Eragon".

Thank you for that nice Avatar, Atimon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Crazy guy... Despite the fact, that he doesn't explain _how_ Mufasa actually cause the drought or how he is able to manipulate the weather, I don't understand why he should do something like that. We know from the movie that Mufasa is true at heart and not a person to come up with such a deceptive plan (this is more something to be worked out by Scar). Unless I underestimate him so much, but I don't think so.

I still believe that the "Remember who you are" scene is something which comes from Simba's heart, because deep down he knows where he truly belongs and Mufasa in the cloud is just an symbolic representation or imagination of Simba to transfer the message to the audience. And a drought is nothing which is very unusual for a savannah in Africa. Okay granted, it is bad timing for Scar and he can not directly be blamed for it. But the way I see it, is that this is the normal life cycle in a savannah. There is (heavy) rain for a couple of days only, the time when most cubs were born/survive, because prey is rich and this is the time when Simba grows up until he escaped from Scar. Then usually comes a long dry period, which also can occasionally last more than a year (time of Scar's reign). And (by coincidence?) Simba used the changing weather to his advantage and overpower Scar and took his rightful place.

The real neat thing about it is there is no need for a superior being involved somewhere in this chain, but you still can believe it if you want, e.g. that Mufasa soul is "really" appearing in the clouds or in Simba's imagination. This is what the movie is also about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mufasa did not cause the drought, but his absence as a peaceful/balanced ruler did... which I suppose you can twist around to mean that he caused it. But ultimately, it's all about story telling. If Scar had ruled a lush kingdom, Nala would never have gone to find Simba.

So yes, the weather/climate in TLK is a tool for telling the story, not so much a result of the story, I don't think. I'll call it a measurable, visual reference to the abilities of the ruler. How do you tell a good King, by speaking to his subjects of course.
    That which you manifest is before you.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is the first time I've heard this theory. While interesting, it's not something I'm inclined to believe.

Even if Mufasa did actually become some kind of spirit that had weather powers, going about things in that fashion makes for an overly complicated plan with too many possible outcomes.
    ...I mean, I simply cannot imagine Mufasa chillin' in the clouds, looking over his magical chessboard, eagerly rubbing his paws together and muttering "Ok, so I'm moving this pawn here, and because that happened, THIS pawn over here is going to do this...and if that pawn doesn't cooperate, Imma gonna possess this thundercloud and MAKE them listen...because MY PLAN DEMANDS IT!"

What if Nala had taken off in the opposite direction? What if she never found Simba?
    Would Mufasa have sent a plague of locusts to redirect her?

...what if he DID? What if he did and we have no idea 'cause we never saw it in the movie?!
    Oh, so many things open to conjecture.

*scribbles this idea down for a fanfic that she'll probably never write*

Quote Originally Posted by Kirauni View Post
    I believe these elements are there for dramturgical reasons and not because Mufasa pulled the strings.
    Indeed, this is the same the boat I'm in. *nodnods*

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.