In principle I can understand why they are so upset about it. Disney obviously ignores the canon in which many Fans believe very strongly and we spent almost 20 years about getting all the different comics (published and produced mostly _not_ directly by Disney, like the 6NA) and sequels into a consisting storyline. And now they seem not willing to answer all the questions, instead they continue with the next generation. However, I still think we need to wait a bit until we saw the first episodes to fairly judge about it, or at least when more information about the story are released.
In the worst case I will handle it in the same way as with the "Timon and Pumbaa" series, mostly ignore the episodes, except for the few good ones, like "Timon's Story". And I guess it will be the same with TLG (*g*), there will be bad and (hopefully) some good episodes, still mostly consisting of childish story games (I guess), but with small drop of hints, which either fills some plot holes of the movies, or create new ones to discuss about it. xD

I also checked the web for releases in other countries, but at least for Germany I couldn't find any. Since we have a Disney and other kids channels I'm quite sure they will not produce it for English speaking countries only. That would be a waste and Disney always focus on the global market and not US alone. Although I fear the title will be stupid here, either completely in English (which I'm fine with, btw), or something like "Die Loewen Patrouille"... *shudder*