Guys. GUYS.

Disney Junior Plans Preschool Series Based on ‘The Lion King’
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/...the-lion-king/

Who's excited? I'm excited.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ah there is already a thead about it. I read it on twitter and was wondering if TLK meets the Avengers can work. At least there is something new and it is a valid point indeed that Disney hasn't released anything really new about TLK, although it is one of their most successful movies. I suppose the series couldn't be worse than "Timon and Pumbaa".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't think I would be as excited as I am after reading that article! And new toys!! Oh gosh, it's a frugal person's worst nightmare!

Just one thing... does Kion really have to have a pawprint mark on his shoulder?

Also, so Kiara just like... doesn't exist?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe it's playing after SP and Simba has another cub, or what is now very up-to-date is to take old series/movies and create alternative time lines...
    But I think we should wait for a while until some new information are released, because usually this early the data it is not very reliable. And who knows, perhaps they have a logical explanation for it, which will be during the series revealed. Although I fear that it is something only for entertaining younger kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if SP was ignored entirely (expecting that, actually), let alone the writers bothering to explain anything with the new cub.
    Quick offhand impressions:
    Pawprint tattoo?
    "Kion" seems like an odd name. "Kio" in Swahili means "mirror" in the context of being identical/copy of something, but maybe I am reaching here (probably yes).
    Will still buy a plushie. I am addicted. Help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kanu beat me to this thread, haha xD

Out of all the people to tell me about this first, was a good friend I know who has no interest in the lion king xD

I'm very looking forward to this 8D

About "Kion". Since it's directed to pre-school audience I'm going with the idea it's just Lion but just with a "k" xP Something that children can relate to easily =3

maybe the paw print is a birthmark .? Again in real life the chances of that are very slim, but it's pre-school. I don't mean all this in a negative way . I'm very excited to see this when it's done 83

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know, I know... that fact that it's a preschool series will certainly make for interesting viewing. So interested to see how that maps out.

Yeah, won't be surprised if they ignore SP either.

I also suddenly have a mega urge to get drawing Kion. New official character! Awesome
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerane View Post
    Also, so Kiara just like... doesn't exist?
    ...YES!!! AHAHAHA YES! >D

Seriously though, omg! Preschool or not!

Guys, just think if there are new other cubs!

And they're redesigning the hyenas too, omgomgomg! Must see what they do there!

Ahhh, awesome x)

Kion... Lion plus Kopa? XP

So now we all know what happened to him...he was taken into a top secret program, given superhero powers, like the ability to erase future events *cough* SP *cough*, and returned with a new code name!
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Previously "Kitty17794" :) Miss Mandz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am so stinking excited for this. Lion King is being introduced to a new generation!!!! That's amazing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cleargreenwater View Post
    So now we all know what happened to him...he was taken into a top secret program, given superhero powers, like the ability to erase future events *cough* SP *cough*, and returned with a new code name!
    Hahaha! I'm very curious about what they're gonna do with the canon though. I'm not a big fan of alternate storylines...

Also, I'm so happy that this is being made in freaking 2D!! They could've gone for sucky 3D along the lines of Sofia the First, but they didn't! Wheee! On top of that, those screenshots do look pretty close to the style of the film, which is super awesome. I expect semi-decent puppet-style Flash animation regardless, but still xP

And the premise of the show sounds just like the TLK cartoon I wanted as a kid too, so I really can't wait to see what becomes of this. Soo excited xD

Kion plushies, here I come, haha!

-----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh wow, I really like this news.

I'm glad they're continuing the legacy of the Lion King through pre school series. alternate storyline or not, I'm very excited.

(12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Previously "Kitty17794" :) Miss Mandz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been thinking about possible plot line, and this is what has struck me: Kiara and Kovu are in line for the throne whenever Simba chooses to stand down. But this leaves Kion, Simba's youngest, without a title... and Simba with the fear that Kion may follow the same path of jealousy that Scar once took. So wise old Rafiki makes a suggestion -- give Kion something to do! Something to make him feel just as important. But never did Simba imagine that the Lion Guard game he created for his son would actually become real, when Kion actually manages to save them all. And that would be the contents of that first full length movie.

Perhaps wishful thinking, but I feel like that's the best way to tie all the canon together? Unless they do decide to ignore TLK2...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    TLK2 characters WILL be included!
    The show will follow Kion, the second-born son of Simba and Nala.
    (...)
    Mufasa, Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki, Zazu and Kion’s older sister Kiara will all make appearances, but the show will focus on the creatures of the Lion Guard, a series of new characters including a honey badger, a cheetah, a hippo, and an egret.
    Source: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/10/di...off-lion-guard

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I can only imagine what it would look like ... *blah*

I hope they make something decent out of it, but it'll probably look like all sequels look, lol.

*I'll let myself be surprised* haha

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've found a better source... the best source - press release from Disney Channel:
    Disney Begins Production on "The Lion Guard," an Animated Disney Junior TV Movie and Series Inspired by "The Lion King"

DISNEY BEGINS PRODUCTION ON "THE LION GUARD," AN ANIMATED

DISNEY JUNIOR TV MOVIE AND SERIES INSPIRED BY "THE LION KING"

Disney Television Animation has begun production on "The Lion Guard," an animated television movie and series that continues the story introduced 20 years ago in the acclaimed Disney animated film "The Lion King." Geared towards kids age 2-7 and their families, "The Lion Guard" television movie will premiere in Fall 2015, and the subsequent series will debut in early 2016 on Disney Junior and Disney Channel.

The wildlife education experts at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park will serve as consultants on "The Lion Guard" stories, which will incorporate themes of conservation, family and community while also highlighting problem-solving, creative thinking and diversity. Author and Swahili expert Sarah Mirza is the language and cultural advisor.

Nancy Kanter, Executive Vice President, Original Programming and General Manager, Disney Junior Worldwide, said, "The story of 'The Lion King' has deeply touched families around the world since its original theatrical release 20 years ago. We look forward to introducing a whole new generation of kids to both the Disney legacy characters and to new friends and heroes."

"The Lion Guard" begins as Kion, the second-born cub of Simba and Nala, assumes the role of leader of the Lion Guard, a group of the bravest and brightest tasked with preserving the Pride Lands. Instead of assembling a team of young lions to serve with him, Kion challenges tradition by calling upon friends he believes are the best choices – Bunga, a fearless honey badger; Fuli, a confident cheetah; Beshte, a happy-go-lucky hippo; and Ono, an intellectual egret. Stories will include special appearances by Mufasa, Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki, Zazu and Kion's older sister, Kiara, the future Queen of the Pride Lands.

"The Lion Guard" movie and series were developed by Ford Riley ("Special Agent Oso"), who also serves as executive producer. Howy Parkins ("Jake and the Never Land Pirates") is director. Christopher Willis ("Mickey Mouse") is the composer.

Originally released in June 1994, the Academy Award-winning animated film "The Lion King" is a Disney story with long-lasting appeal and creative interpretations across multiple Disney businesses.

The lifetime global box office total for "The Lion King" is $987.4 million; its 2011 3D re-release was #1 for its first two weeks; its Grammy Award-winning soundtrack sold over 14 million units; a Tony Award-winning musical, now in its 17th year on Broadway and with 10 productions in eight languages currently running worldwide, has been seen by over 70 million people around the globe and is the highest-grossing Broadway production in history. The North American tour and the Broadway show each surpassed $1 billion in ticket sales while global ticket sales surpassed $5 billion worldwide (from 22 productions). The Lion King is one of the biggest home entertainment titles of all time, and the direct-to-video release of "Lion King 2: Simba's Pride" is one of the best-selling direct-to-video releases of all time. "The Lion King" franchise also includes 85 episodes of the Emmy Award-winning animated television series "The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa" and popular attractions at Disney Parks and Resorts. Twenty years since the film's release, "The Lion King" also continues to resonate with millions of fans who connect with the enduring story and timeless characters through a wide range of products, including nursery décor, bedding and junior fashion.

Marking the animated film's 20th anniversary, a special edition of the soundtrack exploring the stories behind the songs will be released June 24 as part of Walt Disney Records' Legacy Collection. An electronic dance music version of "Circle of Life," by music producer/composer/DJ Mat Zo, is on the recently released DCONSTRUCTED, a collection of EDM remixes of classic Disney songs.

In its first year reporting public ratings, the 24-hour Disney Junior channel ranked as the #1 preschooler-dedicated TV network in Total Day in Total Viewers, among Kids 2-5, Girls 2-5 and Boys 2-5 and Women 18-49, towering over Nick Jr. by double digits and Sprout by triple digits. Disney Junior, the daily programming block for kids age 2-7 on Disney Channel, is home to the top two telecasts in cable TV history among Kids 2-5, Girls 2-5 and the #2 preschool cable TV telecast ever in Total Viewers, Adults 18-49 and Women 18-49 -- "Sofia the First: The Floating Palace" and "Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess." The animated series "Sofia the First" ranked as 2013's #1 TV series in Girls 2-5 and cable TV's #2 series in Kids 2-5 and accounted for five of cable TV's Top 10 telecasts of the year in Kids 2-5, and 17 of the Top 20 TV telecasts in Girls 2-5. 2014 to-date, "Sheriff Callie's Wild West," "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" and "Sofia the First" are the Top 3 series across all preschooler-dedicated TV channels in Total Viewers, Kids 2-5, Boys 2-5 and Women 18-49 (order varies per demo).

Press materials are available at www.disneyjuniormedianet.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DisneyChannelPR @DisneyChannelPR

Instagram:http://instagram.com/disneychannelpr
    Source: http://disneychannelmedianet.com/***...l/pr67238.html
    Two pictures from the press release avaliable in HD resolution at: http://pridelands.eu/hd/folder113.html
    Last edited by Nit; June 10th, 2014 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting. Very surprised to see Disney acknowledging their non-feature animation sequels aside from home video re-releases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I found this out this morning I just about lost it with happiness haha :P I'm really looking forward to this! It will be interesting to see how they incorporate Mufasa as a secondary character; I also wonder if they will have any of the original voices.

Avatar drawn by Azerane - thank you! :3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Looks very cute. I think Jake and the Neverland Pirates have a cute animation style too, and I'm glad to see this show will be animated that way, in 2D. I wish I could get a job working on this show. Seriously, I am feeling like the only animation jobs out there are for 3D and I am just not enjoying working on Maya. (A computer modeling and animation program) But it is animated for preschoolers, if you ever watched that Jake and the Neverland Pirates, (I've watched a quite few Disney Junior shows when my nephew was living with us) the characters would ask questions out to the audience of kids, like "Where is it?" "How many doubloons are there? Count with us!" And they start counting. So it might be like that.

But maybe not, I don't know. Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First aren't like that. (At least I don't remember them being like that) But the story lines are super simple and such. Still, excited to watch this for the cute art animation style and to see more of TLK universe. A brother for Kiara huh? So I wonder, how is Kiara is going to be included, is she going to be a cub or an adult? Just because she was an adult at the end of Simba's Pride... I thought maybe Kiara wasn't going to in the show, but it has been confirmed that she will be from the Disney articles that people quoted.
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Awesome!

I think they kind of had to recognise the sequel, since there is a lot of Kiara-and-Kovu merchandise out there (I really think there is no comparison to any other Disney sequels in terms of how much merch SP has) and they're pretty well-established characters. And Kiara is the "future Queen of the Pride Lands". No mention of Kovu becoming king. Huzzah! I like where this is going so far

Also, a honey badger character! How cool is that?

-----

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Being a preschool serie, i don´t think we will see great stories and animation, but i really hope that i´m wrong....