Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Bambi Featured on Time Magazine's 'Top 25 Horror Movies'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bambi Featured on Time Magazine's 'Top 25 Horror Movies'

This film placed 20 on Time Magazine's Top 25 Horror Movies.

"Amazing that the first movies parents took their tots to in the 30s and 40s were the early Disney features. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Dumbo all exploited childhood traumas. Parents disappear or die; stepmothers plot the murder of their charges; a boy skips school and turns into a donkey. Kids were so frightened by these films that they wet themselves in terror. Bambi, directed by David Hand, has a primal shock that still haunts oldsters who saw it 40, 50, 65 years ago."

Link: Bambi, 1942

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it didn't shock me and I don't have any fears of it

the first movie to really scare me when I was a kid was Congo, that one terrified me for a few months after I saw it and then ID4 did the same for a few months after I saw that...then I kind of changed my mindset about movies and started to look at them as to how they were made versus how they are trying to scare me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is that a joke? Bambi? I mean they have got to be kidding.
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bambi?! Well Sharifu said it already.........I mean come on.. O_o
    The only movies to ever actually scare me when I was a kid were 'It' and 'The Storm of the Century' ( the latter was a mini series....)
    Siggy pic made by Simba '04

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's a horror behind those cute faces
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The movie that scared 4 year old me was The Exorist, yes I watched it xP

Frankly I didn't understand much of Bambi the first time I saw it, I got it when it was released sometime in the early 90ths :E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    actually, it is quite traumatic. maybe not for our generation because we're desensitized to these things. But my drama teacher always tells the story of how he went to see bambi when he was little and he cried to loud his parents had to take him outside xD

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bambi never really frightened me, though it did anger me a bit when I was a kid - fire and camping safety had been rammed into my head since birth and it pissed me off that the stupid hunters left their campfire unattended.

The Wizard of Oz, on the other hand, scared the bejesus outta me.
    XD

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dunno bout the rest of you couldn't sleep for weeks
    Members I have had the pleasure to meet: STM [x2], Sharifu [x2], Taneli [x2], King Simba [x4], Shadow [x1], Nathalie [x2], Lucy Lioness [x2], This Land [x4], Daniel [x2], Nephilim [x1], KanuTGL [x2], Revo [x1], Naline [x1], FCSimba [x9], Leorgathar [x1]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Lunarcat
    actually, it is quite traumatic. maybe not for our generation because we're desensitized to these things. But my drama teacher always tells the story of how he went to see bambi when he was little and he cried to loud his parents had to take him outside xD
    I'm sorry but I fail to see how Bambi is traumatic. Yeah, it's very sad that Bambi's mother was shot and died, but it's not like you see it happen, you don't even see her afterwards at all... And dying is apart of life, it's very sad, but everyone has to deal with it in life. If Bambi is considered traumatic, then The Lion King should be 10 times more traumatic... Seeing Mufasa scream and fall to his death after his brother digs his claws into Mufasa's paws and then heartlessly throws him off, and you just see all the pain and tragedy, and it doesn't happen off screen like Bambi.
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    well yeah I guess I can it being dramatic for generation that wasn't used to animations. But even then I don't really count it as horror movie. I can name easily over 50 movies that are more scary than Bambi. Actually I don't even see where it's scary in anyway. As said before you don't even see Bambi's mother's death, just hear a shot.

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sharifu
    I'm sorry but I fail to see how Bambi is traumatic. Yeah, it's very sad that Bambi's mother was shot and died, but it's not like you see it happen, you don't even see her afterwards at all... And dying is apart of life, it's very sad, but everyone has to deal with it in life. If Bambi is considered traumatic, then The Lion King should be 10 times more traumatic... Seeing Mufasa scream and fall to his death after his brother digs his claws into Mufasa's paws and then heartlessly throws him off, and you just see all the pain and tragedy, and it doesn't happen off screen like Bambi.
    But consider this.

Bambi was released over 65 years ago, as oppose to The Lion King's 11 year history. You really (and I mean really) don't know what it was like back then; it was simpler times back then, and something like this really could have a traumatic effect on you.

As someone said earlier, there's so much bad things in the world nowadays that people are desensitized to this sort of thing, but if I was alive back then, "I would actually get up in the middle of the night and make sure my parents were still alive."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Lunarcat
    That's because we shelter our kids these days--at least for the first eight or so years. Yes, they see some violent previews, may play video games that have mock violence, but many kids have never seen a film or read a book where they get attached to the characters and first learn the real impact of violence. All the movies are so sunny today--Enchanted, The Spongebob Movie, Holes, Shrek 3, Because of Winn-Dixie, etc. Not to mention T.V. shows like Hanna Montana . We live in a safe, fuzzy world. I was just at the library when a mother was asking the librarian for books for her eight-year-old "where the dog doesn't die". Reading Where the Red Fern Grows helped me deal with my own pets' death and subsequently my great-grandmother's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bambi? You'd think they'd put TLK up there before Bambi. You know, cause of the confrontation between Scar and Simba as well as Mufasa's death.