It's not a matter of people feeling that any mention of the religion is bad, it's the unfair treatment of the religion in comparison to other beliefs, as I already explained. There is a big difference between normal exposure and exposure specifically in favor of a single belief system. And honestly, I don't mind some excess exposure of Christianity, because I understand that there are many Christians in the US. It is actually a small minority of atheists that rally against things like God stamped on money, which is part of the reason that's not been changed yet. However, for someone to come in and say that Christians are being oppressed or under-represented when they already have an extreme advantage is just absurd. I'm not arguing for less representation of Christianity in all circumstances, I'm arguing against more, while you seem to be arguing for more, which is why I ask the question, just how much do you want?
No, it IS a matter of that. That is what I am talking about...and your differentiation between that, and "unfairness" is wrong. Your argument is PART of the movement I am describing. I believe you are misunderstanding my argument here. We are discussing Christianity...as the religion in question. I am saying, that I believe that attacking Christianity on the basis that it is unfairly represented in public etc is wrong. I am not stating that there is a major movement of people dedicated to irradicating all religious expression. I am stating, that there is a group of people in this country that are intent on lessening the public representation of Christianity based on political correctness, political motives, or an all out dislike of religion (Christianity is the largest target). So, your argument that you believe it is represented unfairly is precisely what I am talking about.

Again, that's a small minority of people who freak out over the simple mention of the word God. What the majority of atheists are upset by is the encouragement of Christianity above any other belief system. You should hardly feel threatened because of a select few people complaining about the use of the word God in a school play. I don't see why that makes you say, "America is not religious enough."
Apparently you believe this is a discussion about atheists and Christians? I am talking about THOSE people...the people who DO react that way. I am not saying that all atheists hold this point of view. I didn't even mention atheism. The Democratic Party supports the views of the people I am against. The ACLU does as well. Those are not miniscule, minority groups...they are major groups with a lot of influence. If your view is right..that most atheists are upset about Christianity being displayed above others...then the majority of atheists support the measures I am arguing against.

Before I reply about those court cases, I shall look them up and read more about them. Can you give me the title of the one about the 12 year old, so I can look it up as well?

To reply about what I did read on that case of the drugs. The claim by that church was based on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. They did not claim they needed it to "understand God". It was used in a tea during a ritual that was essential to that churches beliefs. I am not stating that I agree with the ruling, but I am painting the picture that they did have a legal reason to challenge this. They are also not a major Christian sect...as they are part of a small group from Brazil, so this type of ruling is very rare. As for evolution being brought up....well, it still seems to hold out in every school, in every state, and in every college. I don't think YOU need to worry about a threat to that pseudoscientific theory anytime soon. Any mention of it usually does not assert that there need to be mention of God. Most of the time it is simply that they state it is not supported well, which IS the case.

I'd like to hear some specific examples and why you feel they're problematic.
And no, the exact words "separation of church and state" are not in the Constitution, but the sentiment is clearly implied. The definition of separation of church and state is "no government sponsored religion."
Sure thing, I am about to leave for work..but I will look some up, and get some from the book I was just reading. I stated that I understood the definition...and being as it is...there IS no state sponsored religion. However, "seperation of church and state" is cited numerous times when religion comes into contact with school, as if any connection or mention will result in Christianity being the state sponsored religion.

How long were you an atheist and how vocal were you about it? I'm not nearly as vocal about my atheism as many Christians are about their Christianity, but if I were I can only imagine how people would treat me if how people react to my atheism now is any indication. People who know me are understanding and respectful, but extremely religious strangers are not. I'm not saying this never goes both ways, I'm just saying it seems to be socially acceptable to belittle or bash atheists, but it's considered intolerant or rude to belittle or bash Christians. I'd just like some consistency is all. I don't want to have to walk on eggshells around the beliefs of others but I want those who debate with me to treat me with the same level of courtesy that they'd want me to show them.
People bash Christians ALL the time, and it is applauded by the left, and even perpetuated by them. They perpertuate the idea that every stance that Christians take..no matter the facts is because they are a religious "zealot". You disagree with evolution?! You must believe in God and think the world is flat!

I don't see where you get this idea that atheists are "bashed" all the time. They are criticized..sure...but that is allowed from anyone, on any subject. I notice you said "extremely religious people". Well, it sort of makes sense that those people would react more harshly to you. Now..I highly doubt that if someone who was devoutly Christian asked you "do you believe in God" and you said "no" they would start "bashing" you. That isn't what their religion teaches...and anytime I have answered that question that same way..their next response is "why not?". I don't believe that most moderate Christians would react that way either.

Here is that same person you mentioned, stating how the AMerican Atheists filed that same lawsuit about the pledge we were discussing that you stated most athiests don't support:

"Sherman: American Atheists filed the Pledge of Allegiance lawsuit yesterday. Does the Bush campaign have an official response to this filing?"

The answer isn't really important...obviously they didn't like it, but regardless they support the very things I am arguing against. The funny thing you also forgot to mention is that that was not our current Presdient. That was his father, George H.W Bush. Not to mention, just because he has the belief that belief in God is important to America...and thus does not support atheism, does not mean he is going to revoke the citizenship of these people. That was his personal belief...and unfortunately for you, there are others who share it. Right or wrong, it isn't important unless someone enacts a law proclaiming atheists are not citizens.

I will continue later...I have like 6 minutes before I have to leave for work.

~Kiva