Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lion King... in College?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    We were talking about taxes at dinner tonight and how they've taken most of what I've earned this year and I was trying to figure out how much I'd get back after April. Aaaanyway, I was confused as to why my account is smaller than it should be and my mum said "You have to remember how much you spent on those Lion King tickets," and I said "But that was only $1000, where's the rest of it? Oh wait... that sounds REALLY sad. 'I spent $1000 on Lion King tickets'... I need help." That money wasn't part of what I was talking about, it just hit me how obsessed it sounded.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Kimbai
    Yeah. People seem to think once you are past 13 you can't look at any cartoons. Well I say, BUNK THEM!

Someone didn't tell my either parents that. My mom actually encorages me to watch cartoons and Disney movies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well nothing TLK'ish has really been mentioned in college so far, although in school, quite a few people used to make jokes up about it... and if I remember rightly, it has been mentioned a few times in discussion.

Originally posted by Kimbai
    Yeah. People seem to think once you are past 13 you can't look at any cartoons. Well I say, BUNK THEM!
    That used to be similar to what my sister used to think. She used to say that I was "too old" for watching TLK and that it was only aimed at younger children... it really used to annoy me to be quite honest.

Anyways, I think we've proven her wrong. My mum likes TLK, and she's now 51, so it just proves people of all ages can watch it.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes. It accually is aimed at all ages, so excuse me for saying it was mostly aimed and younger people earlier. There are little hidden jokes for adults and teens in movies like Lion King that you may not notice when you were younger. Example:

When Timon tries to save Pumbaa from Nala, he is like "Geez, why do I always have to save your a-AAAAAA!"

he was gonna say "***" I just noticed that when watching it no too long ago. I never noticed it when I was younger. And that is only the many hidden adult jokes in the cartoon. ^^ It is for all ages, and not just TLK, but every cartoon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Little Mermaid is FULL of little jokes and things aimed at adults. Like when Ariel gets turned into a human, a child wouldn't realize that she's naked but as an adult, you realize it And a bonus, if you've been to the beach, you know it's no fun to get sand in some places and then it's funny.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agreed XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What would you guys say is the limit of how much The Lion King should effect what you do for school?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would think that as long as it's on topic and appropriate for what you're doing, go for it. I wrote a comparison of TLK and Hamlet for my junior level college english course. Yes, I got an A. I think I even used it for an ecology essay once. It was on a test, I don't really remember. And in middle school, we had to create an island nation for social studies using geography terms...mine was TLK based. We had to write up a constitution and a sample set of laws. I did mine in Swahili with TLK influence from my Mufasa book of advice. I'm of the opinion that if it helps you learn material, who cares if it's a "kids' show".

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As a design, I put Simba pic on the project this week. Classmates loved it. ^^ The first thing they said was "Hey its Simba! I love Simba." Heck they didn't mind at all. They went on saying how Lion King is the best movie.

See? Only dorks think TLK is babyish. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You got into Yale? Wow, congrats! My dad went there back in '72 or something, it's definetly a hard school to get into, especially now. Did you have great grades?

And no, unfortunately the title of "best disney movie ever" doesn't apply to TLK with my friends/classmates. They always either say Aladdin or Little Mermaid. It's unfortunate, really... oh well.