Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Frozen

Disney's upcoming feature film.

Anyone excited? I'm trying to stay as optimistic as possible Most of the trailers are pretty much on par with the ones for Tangled (and they were bad. Really bad.) but Tangled turned out to be a really good film, so I'm hoping it'll be the same way for Frozen. The one above is the best trailer so far, I think. But look at what they're claiming at 1 minute 48 seconds... :P

I'm not sold on the character designs (especially not Olaf's) and it seems very unoriginal to have an animal who isn't a dog behave like a dog... again... But otherwise I'm really interested in the storyline. I can't recall seeing a full-blown Disney feature production focus on the relationship between sisters before.

Also the setting is inspired by Scandinavia. And there's a character named Anna xP I'll be in the UK to see it when it premiers on the 6th of December regardless

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I know nothing about the original story, but Olaf rocks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It probably makes me a terrible person on a Disney board, but the stupid snowman thing they're really pushing in it is so ugly/dumb looking/visually unappealing & annoying that I'm checked way out of this one already, sad to say. Unless everyone here starts coming in with some shockingly rave reviews, its a pass >_<
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm with you CGW, I really feel that the snowman is poorly designed and there is a bit too much of a focus on him. Really hoping the story pulls through though, as I really want it to be good! It has promise, but not sure how it's gonna pan out.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not gonna lie, I will see it. Just because I am a Disney fan. But I agree, the snowman design is so gross looking, I really don't want to have to look at it too much. It's just *too* ridiculous, I think. Though this is CERTAINLY better than the other preview I saw. Which was just the snowman and the caribou. e_e I guess we have to remember that they are still targeting these films at kids, as much as we want them to get on with it already and start making stuff for us big kids too. x3 You'd think they'd realize that there's a market for that by now....oh well.

Also, I think it's funny how they always try to use TLK as a way to get people to want to see the movie. Using our nostalgia and love of TLK to garner interest in these new films with promises of it being just as good. Oh Disney... x)

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Twitter Instagram Facebook

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
    And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    aww, no love for Olaf haha

Most things I'm reading, why people don't feel like seeing it, is because they know the original story, and find that Disney may have gone a bit too far away from it then they usually do.
    Sure they alter stuff for the happy endings and such, but I have been reading bad things, that it's not close to the original anymore at all.

I didn't even knew it came from a H.C Anderson book, lol.

So yes: the snowman rules! haha

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmmm yep... exactly the same feelings I had with Tangled when the trailers came out, with a ridiculous movie title and all. And yet, just like with Tangled, it could end up surprisingly good. I'll too be carefully optimistic, it still looks somewhat promising, and I'm sure it'll have some good and catchy songs. And well, I also cringe when I see Olaf's design and silly acting, he's so darn awful xP but I'll still give the snowman the benefit of doubt as well. Who knows, maybe in the movie he'll actually have a chance to shine

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The story used to be based on The Snow Queen (and was gonna be 2D *sob*), but I've heard it said by the creators that the story is pretty much an original now - hence the title change. I'm pretty sure they could've thought of something better than "Frozen", but one-word titles seem to be all the rage right now...

I'm hoping that they're putting an emphasis on Olaf in the trailers to attract kiddies who think he's funny, but that he will be a little less awful in the actual film. I thought Rapunzel seemed like a terrible, really uninteresting character too in the trailers for Tangled.

Soo, I'm staying optimistic, haha.

-----

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You know, it might be a case like with Ray, the firefly in The Princess and the Frog. I didn't like that character in the trailers, I thought it was pretty stupid, but didn't bother me as much in the actual movie. Actually, I found his love story with a star kinda sweet, and it did move me when he passed away and became a star to join his Evangeline.

Maybe Olaf can bring something like that, who knows. Although yeah, I could be wrong and he could just be a kids magnet.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I heard it was going to be based on The Snow Queen, I was excited - The Snow Queen is one of first stories I remember my grandma reading to me and it's always been a favorite. I knew that it was going to have to be Disneyfied, but the finished product does seem more like an original story and I'm glad they changed the name. In fact, it kinda annoys me when I read that it's "loosely" based on The Snow Queen - "loosely based" is an understatement..."inspired by" seems more fitting, at least to me.

Also not a fan of the character designs, but I think that may be because I'm tired of blonde-haired, big-eyed princesses...i recently saw Tangled and now I'm like "BLONDES! BLONDES EVERYWHERE! WHICH PRINCESS IS WHICH?!" The Snowman needs a one-way punt into the depths of Mount Doom.

I've read enough about it and seen enough clips to make me feel that it's not worth my money to see it at the cinema, but I will probably rent it when it goes to DVD.
    It does look beautiful and entertaining, but I need to recalibrate my expectations and separate Frozen from The Snow Queen. Then, I'll be able to enjoy it for what it is...instead of constantly comparing it to what it is "loosely" based on.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Who has seen this and what did you think? Without spoilers? I'm trying to decide if I should see it in theaters or wait until it comes out.

And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have seen it twice, and it really is a great film. Olaf is not as annoying like the trailers made you think. He's really the cutest thing ever. The songs are great. Let It Go is the song Disney will likely push for come Oscar time. The story was great, the characters are all likable even the villain who I will not reveal since there are likely many who haven't seen it yet. When people say it's the best since TLK they're not lying it really is though I'll take it a step further and say the best since Hunchback since up until now that was my favorite Disney movie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow, that good huh? Hmmm...I'm still going in skeptical since I've been let down before...but maybe I'll go see it tomorrow. There is a movie theater about a 5 minute walk from where I live and the whole city is shut down due to a huge ice storm right now so I haven't left my apartment in two days....maybe I'll go do that. x3 Here's hoping for the best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I heard about that ice storm you guys are having, but yeah go see it it's great.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I saw it with Adam on the 6th (on release day, woo! 8D) and... Well. I don't... know xP

Adam loved it and thought it was amazing. I think I need to see it a couple more times to really get the feel for it. I liked it, I did, but I wasn't blown away by it like I was after seeing Tangled for the first time. I wouldn't call it their best since The Lion King, but I think that if you're undecided on whether to see it or not, you should go. Sometimes I need to watch something a few times before I decide what I think and I'm pretty sure that I'll grow very fond of Frozen once I've seen it a couple more times, hehe.

Olaf wasn't the super annoying sidekick I feared and Sven was as much a reindeer as he was a "dog", so that was a relief :'D There were some plot twists I wish I hadn't known about before I saw it, but there are a fair few clever ones. Maybe if I hadn't known I would've been more "wowed" by the film straight away.

My main issues with the film are the animation and the character designs. There wasn't that much brilliant, shining animation going on and waay too many rubber faces :C There were so many shots that would have gained so much if they had been done in 2D. At the same time the effects work is incredible and they just wouldn't have been able to do that in 2D.

The character designs aren't a cohesive whole. Olaf and the big snow... creature work very well on their own, the people look okay on their own and the animals are fine on their own, but if you put them all in one shot they just don't... fit together. And that's a real shame.

Also, yes, in the credits it does actually say "Inspired by The Snow Queen"

-----

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KanuTGL View Post

Also, yes, in the credits it does actually say "Inspired by The Snow Queen"
    That's a relief - now, if only we could get all of the online articles to follow suit. ^__^

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KanuTGL View Post

The character designs aren't a cohesive whole. Olaf and the big snow... creature work very well on their own, the people look okay on their own and the animals are fine on their own, but if you put them all in one shot they just don't... fit together. And that's a real shame.

Aaaah, thank you! You put into words exactly why I don't really want to see it that much. For me, animation is all about visuals (though good storytelling is a definite must) and I think that is what really bugs me about all the trailers and what I've seen, I just couldn't put my finger on it. They are so stylistically different, it all clashes visually--THAT is what it is. Thank you for clearing that up for me, I couldn't figure out what about the movie was turning me off without knowing anything about it. I just knew something seemed off.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm not getting the "let it go" love yet ... I haven't seen the movie yet, probably won't till it comes out on DVD, but looking at what the character looks like, the voice just really does not fit for me.
    Might change if I can actually see the 2 combined.

I like Demi's version much better right now.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    OK, I feel I need to comment again

Last night I saw the movie scene from "Let it go", and I stay with my first opinion.
    The song is very powerfull, and it is really beautiful, but I still feel the voice doesn't fit the character, at least not when she sings.

Watched a few languages by now, Dutch/German/Flemish/French/Finnish/Spanish/Danish.
    Loving all of those. Who'd have thought I'd like a Disney song in my own language, I usually hate them.

And Veronica Mars ????? haha
    I actually thought it was Kirsten Dunst who would be doing the voice for Anna, I always mix those 2 up.
    I love Kristen Bell, she so pretty <3 haha

I got the deluxe soundtrack, I'm so in love with the instrumental songs, I always love those.
    Loving all the songs in general too.
    "Love is an open door" is so catchy and cheerfull ^^

I'm finding the scene in "Let it go" where she lets her hair down, so beautifully done ... the movements she makes are really pretty and fluent!

For the rest, I'll have to wait for the DVD, lol.

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw it, and I sort of have a... weird mix of emotions about it? Like, on one hand, it was actually better than I thought it would be, but it wasn't... good? The character designs were lazy, the music was forgettable, it felt more like some straight to DVD crap rather than a big budget Disney affair. Plus I'm reaaaally not a big fan of what Disney's doing with their princess movies lately--changing their names to some random adjective (Tangled, Frozen), focusing on comic relief characters/the male love interests in the trailers, ugh. And for a movie supposedly about the bond between sisters, they hardly have any screentime together, which I thought was disappointing. x__x Anna was waaay more screentime with her love interest.

There were some things I was pleasantly surprised by, though. Elsa is a great character, and I loved the relationship between her and Anna--it's too bad neither got a lot of screentime. They did something interesting with the whole "true love will break the spell" trope at the climax, which I wasn't expecting and really, really liked. Let It Go was a good song, beautifully preformed, but the animation during that scene is soooo awkward it's better just listening to the song on its own, I think. Like Elsa looks directly at the camera at the end and flashes some random Dreamworks sexy face to the audience, what the heck. :/

Also, I hated the snowman at first too but he's so not bad on film, really.