While it's a good idea to be mindful of trash, processing, and packaging associated with foods, I would argue that the food we eat has far greater impact on the environment in terms of nutrient-rich pollution runoff, direct release of greenhouse or ozone-depleting gases, and the introduction of invasive species/strains. If you enjoy prairies, don't eat wheat products. If global climate change keeps you up at night, avoid rice like the plague. If the prospect of global famine from phosphorus scarcity is a major concern, go vegetarian. I don't do any of those things, because the amount that I care about these subjects is less than the amount that I care about delicious things. Eating less processed food when possible certainly is a good idea for plenty of health reasons.

Small, locally-owned farms are by far the greatest offenders when it comes to pollution and gas emissions. They're hard to regulate, there is little incentive for them to participate in long-term, often experimental techniques, and there is little leverage against them except for the most egregious violations. Even with shipping emissions, the world would do much better in these matters to have all their food shipped from a few well-regulated mega-farms rather than a million locally owned farms. There are drawbacks to that solution -- spoilage of food, outbreaks of disease (harming both humans and agriculture), corporate monopolies, and violation of personal freedom and autonomy. Plus, there's something to be said about helping local families by buying locally. In the end it's people that matter, for me anyways.

As an aside, I have no problem with responsible fracking.