Katali rolled onto his side and stared at the other cub. Takara was looking the opposite direction from him, not moving. "Don't you see how stupid this is?" Katali said, loudly to get his attention. "Fighting all the time just ends with you getting killed someday...don't you want more than that in life?"

Takara turned his head...there were tears in his eyes! "I-I guess so...." he sniffed. Katali was stunned -- he couldn't remember Takara showing such a vulnerable side before -- he almost wanted to run over and comfort him.

"What's wrong?" he asked, struggling to rise, then trudging over.

Takara his his face. "It's just that...it doesn't matter. I mean, ever since my mom died, I...."

"Takara" -- Katali moved to meet the cub eye to eye -- "I lost my parents, too -- I've felt the exact same way. But that's no reason to hate everybody else...get it?"

"I guess, but I've been too mean for too long. I could never change myself...I don't have anyone now."

Katali rolled his eyes. "Get off it! You know we'll be there for you -- me, and Jabari, and Sahara, and -- you'll have a family again. Let's go back now." He offered a paw to pull Takara up.

Now Takara looked stunned. "I...I don't think I--"

"Don't think, just come on. They're probably worried about us!"

"I will, but...I don't think I can walk." Takara grinned sheepishly. "You bite like a crocodile."

Katali laughed, the first real laugh he'd had in days. "It's okay, I'll just have to carry you." He smiled, and worked Takara onto his back. "Here we go...." They slowly started back to join the group.