Quote Originally Posted by KanuTGL View Post
At this rate it really will be Pride, just with more CGI xP
^ I called it, didn't I? I freaking called it

Man, I've been trying so hard not to hate this movie since it came out, but the more time I spend thinking about it, the more angry and bitter I get.

This could have been good. This could have been so good. All the fancypants tech is there - they could have made a stunning, colourful, expressive epic, and they chose not to. I will never forgive Jon Favreau for his utter idiocy and will not watch another of his movies again. This mess is all his fault. Because the more concept art for TLK'19 I see, the angrier I get. Everything is in there - the realistic expressiveness, the lighting, the colour, the soul. And in the final product they have chosen to take all of that away. I just cannot wrap my head around why someone would make such a completely moronic, harebrained decision. They picked shiny technology over what actually matters and I am getting so sick and so tired of this trend. If I hear another "But it was so pretty and photorealiiistiiiic (and that's good enough 8DD)" I'm gonna lose my freaking mind.

I also have many of the same issues that have been mentioned here - off story beats, Simba and Nala's reunion being extremely rushed, CYFtLT in daylight, Beyoncé's unfitting song, etc etc. There was one time I physically cringed in my seat, and that was Simba's flashback at the end when Scar confesses. Oh my goodness that was embarrassing @__@ And there were many times that I only knew what the characters were supposed to be feeling because I know the original movie, because I sure couldn't see it in this version. They talk about body language? What body language?

A pale, soulless and colourless copy, that's what this is.

*deep breath*

Now that I got that out of my system, there were a few things I liked too

The cues they picked from Broadway and fanfics to expand the story were cool, the music is still amazing and John Oliver makes the best Zazu I have ever seen. I also thought Shenzi was awesome (kudos to her animation crew for managing to sneak just a tiny bit of expressiveness into her) <3

But, what I really like the most isn't the movie itself but what's happening around it. The communities reconnecting. For example, I've seen several old faces pop back into TLKFAA lately thanks to this film and that is amazing. The nice new merch is a plus too :P