Originally posted by Son-Goku
where's "mom" or "dad"? Now i'm phychologist but i say that will leave some pretty deep emotional scars.
I've been raised without my dad since 11 so i know what it feels like, even if i don't like to admit it,... it's not the same.
And here we have the same dilema in the case of abortion... are you or anyone else the best person to decide what's good and wrong for the kid? I honestly don't know on that one. I'm still arguing with myself wether that's good or bad.
I assume you meant you're "not" a psychologist, so I'll try and go over this from a psychological point of view.

First of all, mentally being raised by just your mother/just your father/two fathers/adopted parents and so on has no no effect on children what so ever. Rather, the problem arrises with attachments. Now, attachment is learnt through classical or operant conditioning from a very early age, and that's how you become attached to your primary care giver. For example (classical conditioning) a child is hungry, it is pleased when it recieves foot and so associates the feeling with the food-giver. Basically, attachment through reward. But anyway.

Problems arrise through deprivation (broken attachments) which is basically what you're saying was the problem of you not growing up with your father, I would imagine. Privation, too (never having an attachment in the first place) causes problems.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that's it's not who raises you, but the quality of the care.

... or something. It's late.