Hmm. That is a pretty decent theory, and I've seen it scattered around some fanfics. It's only flaw is Zira's line about Kovu being the chosen heir. You could say Zira is lying, but then if Kovu had been born as late as you say, wouldn't Simba have known the truth and wouldn't have been so distrustful?

now lions... Nala would have been able to get pregnant soon after. not DIRECTLY but soon. Thats why if a new male takes over a pride, he kills all the cubs. though its part of it, its not just a 'the old leader fathered them' its more of "i want the lionesses to be in heat, and they wont with cubs" cause lionesses can choose when to go into heat. IF they have cubs, they will NOT go into heat again for another two years (around there...maybe less. theres a reason for this, but I'd need to read up on it more) but if the cub is killed, the lioness will soon feel the need to mate and have cubs again.

A female will go into heat, yes, but her estrous will not yield the potential for pregnancy until 6-9 cycle laters.