I think its interesting that a lot of times its the local people who are more pacifist. Something similar just happened on MLK, one of the members from Boston posted about the Marathon bombing, and within a day or two the conversation had evolved into pretty blanket support for the death penalty, and it was the member on the ground in the situation who had someone in their circle in critical condition that actually posted against it and grew annoyed with the people arguing with him for/about it. I think shocking events almost universally leave people close to them raw & unsettled and extreme reactions can seem like additional conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopatra View Post
Not all mentally ill people are a danger to others, but some are. Not all healthy people are a danger to others, but some are. It's as simple as that.

I also don't know why there seem to happen so many shootings in the US but I sure hope you over there get that issue under control. Soon.
There is SO little in place in the US system, whether the medical system or the prison/law system, in place for addressing unstable and psychologically declining people. SO little, its entirely inadequate. The medical system won't and doesn't offer any kind of coordinated response, and your only other option is a law enforcement response, which law enforcement isn't obligated to concern themselves with until it becomes prosecutable/a law case, at which point in mental health/unhinging situations it's nearly always too late, at best for the person, at worst for others around the person. I have personal family experience with it, and I can't even explain to you how lacking and frustrating and tragic it is. I don't know what the answer is, you can't pack people off to the loony bin arbitrarily any more than you can keep guns from the black market and criminals/illegal users, but every time the gun control talk comes up it never understands what's actually failing and what needs to improve, and I sincerely hope we get it worked out one day, too. It may be time to reinvent facilities specifically concerned with mental health, or reorganize how that same need can be met in a different structure.