Very true. The primary animation crew is scheduled to work on new projects. I doubt straight-to-home video projects even make it to second crew.

And, really, the animation in SP is nowhere near as awful as its hyped up to be. It's not as consistent in its quality as TLK is, I agree, which is where most Disney sequels have their animation flaws. But on the flip side, there are things that I actually think were improved since TLK: The animators of SP spent more time adding little details to the lions than the TLK animators did. The lionesses weren't all just Sarabi clones, especially the Outlanders.

And while it wasn't always successful, the animators obviously chose to experiment heavily with coloring in this film. There's alot of scenes that really stand out because of the color choices or background setups, which owes alot of credit to the creativity of the background crew. A savannah generally doesn't offer much variety, but SP was never short on new designs, even giving new life to familiar ones, like Pride Rock and the Elephant Graveyard.

The big difference between TLK and SP animation is really the style. SP's is much smoother and fluid - sometimes too much - than TLK, which initially throws a viewer if they're used to the original.