Maybe there's a thread like this already, and if there is, it might be just as well 'cause no-one likes being told off for bumping an innocent thread like it's a little car at a carnival

Anyway... we all know how well-loved TLK is the world over for its smoothly executed animation, heart-warming philosophical moments, oh-so-catchy musical numbers and characters you just wish you could hug, but what about another, often overlooked element of the film: style tips? Okay, so we know "The Timon" will never achieve quite the same popularity as "The Rachel," but who here can say they've never silently admired a Lion King character's (or even their animator's) ability to come up with such a perfect hairdo to reflect their personality, suit their overall appearance and still be practical for their royal duties... and all in a society where the word "shampoo" is literally completely unheard of?

My point is: if "best animated haircut" were a category in the Oscars, TLK would TOTALLY have mopped the floor with one character or another.

Per moi, t'was a close call between Simba and Pumbaa (and I mean REALLY close here people), since Simba does have hair... sorta similar to mine - not to brag, but it's so pretty and poofy and vision-obstructing :fini:, but the thing is, it doesn't really DO anything, does it? The bangs may have teeny tiny movements at certain times, but that's pretty much the end of it. And soo...

As usual, I'm gonna opt for Pumbaa all the way: even though it may not draw as much attention as Simba's gorgeous full-bodied crown of flames, "The Pumbaa" still reflects its grower's character in a few ways: it's not exactly prim or polished or even remotely clean, but look closely at certain moments in the Hakuna Matata sequence and TLK1 1/2 and it might prove to be more... *Elasigirl voice* flexible than meets the eye. At times, such as when Pumbaa says "Y'know, kid?..." ect., it tends to wave wildly without really paying attention to where it's going or what condition it gets itself into. At other times, it can look limp and shabby and in need of support - i.e., just before the ever-so-under appreciated "puppy eyes by the riverside" performance in TLK1 1/2 - but when it gets right down to it, it can behave itself, stay put proudly on top and realise its proper duty (in terms of character, think the dramatic moment in TLK 1 1/2: "I was about to ask you the same thing." *fangirl sigh*). Long story short: "The Pumbaa" is everything its pioneer is and more, and that's not only something that I'd give anything to run my fingers through if smell where no object, but something any self-respecting character designer ought to be proud of, intentional or not.

(PS: Geez, is it Overanalyze Minor Details, Most Likely Getting One's Fact's Wrong, and Abuse the Italic Tag Day already? Well, since my calender says it's not, and it's never lied to me before, don't bother following my example and being quite (uh-oh, italic abuse again!) so ramblingly fantarded. )

[offtopic] (PPS: I've just realized... October 17th was the say I unintentionally woke up at six in the morning, decided to watch my TLKSE DVD to pass the time, felt an unimaginable wave of positive energy wash over me once the movie had finished, and declared myself a true-blooded TLK fan. I just didn't celebrate it on the day because... well, look at my post in the "Lion King Storyteller" thread. Here's to another happy year of incurable Pumbaaholism for 'Tifa-kun! :roars: ) [/offtopic]