Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's Herard The Lion King in 5.1 in the Disney Enhanced Home Theatre Mix?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by W-Eyed-Wanderer
    Whats this 'Disney Home Theatre Mix' thing?

As far as I can recall the European DVD only has two mixes - the standard version and the enhanced IMAX version.

Anyone care to clarify the situation?
    It's just re-mixed 5.1 track of the original mix. It's far more spacious, dynamic, and delivers great bass. This track was only included for Region 1 releases (US and Canada.) It's also another name for a dolby digital track made by Disney. I still wanna hear the movie in DTS though to hear the differences.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    2.1 :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    sweetness I found out why my stereo kept having static in it and my tv was messing up, it was my stupid surger protector, so I bought a $50 one today that is made for stereos and I am watching TLK with the special 5.1 right now and it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just getting to hear the extra special effects is incredible! You have to have a surround sound to get the full effect of it, I had watched TLK plenty of times on my normal tv but now with my new stereo it is TRULY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't had a chance to listen to the Enhanced Home Theater mix on my 5.1 system yet. Apparently, the EHT mix is supposed to have improved bass, and surround sound.

I have the Region 1 DVD of El Rey Le?n. The DVD includes two English DTS tracks: the Enhanced Theatrical Mix and the original 5.1 track. The Spanish EHT and orignial tracks are in 5.1 Dolby Digital.

The Digital Theater Systems (DTS) track sounds louder than the Dolby Digital 5.1 track on my English and Fran?ais Region 1 disc. I remember reading somewhere that the DTS audio is recorded / or encoded at a higher volume.

Bye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember reading somewhere that the DTS audio is recorded / or encoded at a higher volume.
    In some cases this is true, and in some cases the DTS track is made from a different master track from the Dolby version. Dolby also implements dialog normalization which will sometimes cap the maximum output during intense scenes. It's not uncommon for the DTS option to sound more impressive than the Dolby option--one particularly good example is the Jurassic Park DVD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SoulImbibe
    In some cases this is true, and in some cases the DTS track is made from a different master track from the Dolby version. Dolby also implements dialog normalization which will sometimes cap the maximum output during intense scenes. It's not uncommon for the DTS option to sound more impressive than the Dolby option--one particularly good example is the Jurassic Park DVD.
    That is true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SoulImbibe
    However, the stereo PCM mix on the Lion King laserdisc is also very powerful, and the surround is much better with ProLogic IIx than the original ProLogic.

Edit: I finally hit 100 posts!
    Nice setup SoulImbibe.

Wait, the laserdisc has PCM tracks? I didn't know that. I know that the CLV and CAV laserdisc has Dolby Digital, Dolby Surround, Analog left mono and Analog Right 5.1 surround. I'm confused. I know I'm missing something.

I know that I don't need an AC3 RF modulator to listen to the analog tracks.

Please help me. Reply here or send me a PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Most LaserDiscs have analog tracks and digital tracks. On the Lion King LD the digital track is stereo PCM--pure uncompressed stereo. The left analog is commentary (mono) and the right analog is AC3 RF for compressed Dolby 5.1.

If you have your player connected using analog RCA cables you can pick whether to listen to the digital tracks or the analog tracks. If you pick the digital tracks the player will convert it into analog then output the sound on both channels. If you pick the analog tracks you would hear the commentary out of your left speaker and a bunch of static out of your right speaker. Most players also include an option to only play the left or right channel so you could enjoy the commentary without the static.

If you have your player connected using a digital cable (like optical Toslink) you will only be able to listen to the digital tracks, in this case the regular stereo mix. This is the "Dolby Surround" which can be expanded to surround sound using Dolby ProLogic or ProLogic II. On LDs with a DTS digital track you would be able to get 5.1 surround sound.

AC3 RF is a nice feature but a luxury for those with money to waste on a demodulator. I certainly don't have one and don't intend to buy one for all of 5 laserdiscs I own. It does, however, allow you to get real Dolby Digital 5.1 sound on discs that support it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True True

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks SoulImbibe! You know a lot about laserdiscs and players.

Now lets continue the discussion about the Disney Enhanced Theater Mix. It'll be interesting to compare the stereo audio on the laserdisc to the stereo audio on the DVD. I might try comparing the aduio if I find a laserdisc player.

I can listen to DVDs on my computer. I have two small computer speakers. They don't put out any bass. I can't listen to the DTS tracks on this computer either.