Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 2210

Thread: Looking for TLKoB midis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    awwww, that is so great that some people and schools still take up on such big projects. In London schools of performing arts always come see the shows, we had a big group of people coming in once and they fixed it so they got a backstage tour too, plus some of the principals explained them their chracters. I bet it was fun and exciting to work on Shenzi, it's such a great character?

oh, a word to everyone...this is unoficiall and would appreciate if nobody used it outside the page, LOL...in april we're officially saying goodbye to our London Simba, Brian Temba. Andile Gumbi, who's curently with the South African cast was casted as the next king

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sweet. As sad as it is, I love when there's a cast change because there usually seems to be a wave of new pictures.

Oh Z, I was channel surfing late last night and found a program on PBS about a West African prince that was sold into slavery in the 1800s. I stopped because the guy playing him looked almost exactly like Brian. I don't think it was him, in fact I doubt it, but it was interesting.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    nono wasn't him, never played an african prince...oh except Simba...LOL

I read that story tho, is it about the prince Amos Fortune? Very touching, makes you very much hate certain groups of people hehe

Besides gotta tell you that Brian...he looks way better in real than he does on pics..trust!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I knew it wasn't him because his voice was too deep. But it sure looked like him.

He was a Liberian prince. I can't spell his name. But lived in Mississippi for forty years, before president Clay forced his owner to send him to Morocco because he was a prince. He spent the months leading up to the trip trying to raise enough money to buy his children and grandchildren from his owner. Tragic story.

Back on topic...

Don't think I've posted this one before.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    LK300 - the brainy...for me just the fact that he met the Australian cast, Turanga boy and others (btw. do you remember maybe meeting any of the following; Andile Gumbi, Amy Edwards, David Dennis, Loredo Malcolm, Rorisang Kgwathe, Jeffrey Richardson) is enough for praise. He's the interwiever and the collector...if you think you saw all there is about the Lion King on Broadway...well...think again!

Thanks for the bio Z! I'm trying to get as encyclopedic as Amanda, though I'm pretty sure she still knows more than me - especially about the Simbas And she digs up the coolest and rarest TLKOB pics, we love her for that!

But I have written hundreds of questions about TLK on Broadway for my game show...

And though I haven't seen the show since I saw it in Orlando with Amanda (January 2007 - it's been WAY too long!) I've seen it 8 times in six different cities which is a pretty cool feat, and it's enabled me to see the differences between many different casts and theatres around the country and world. Still haven't been backstage, that's my dying wish!

---

The only one in that group I met was David Dennis (ensemble), he's the first one I met actually at the stage door, really nice guy. He didn't seem used to getting attention as an ensemble member.

That was so incredible to see the show half the world away in Shanghai - it took me 10 minutes to find it on Lea (I forgot I didn't make a thread about the trip itself) but I dug it out so I could share the pictures again for the newbies and to relive this dream experience - I think I might have been the only one here fortunate enough to see the Australian cast. See if you recognize anyone else!

Here it is!

ORIGINALLY POSTED 8-9-06

Wow, I can't believe I'm back already. Just yesterday night I was in the Shanghai Grand Theatre watching the show, and now I'm sitting in my chair 1/2 a world away. (not counting all the time I gained from the time zone difference, of course!)

Well, I have lots of pics and a really nice surprise at the end so I'll start with the TLKOB Shanghai pics (since this is the TLKOB thread, of course!)

The majestic entrance to the Shanghai Grand Theatre, featuring an enormous ad in front and acacia trees bordering the glass doors

Chinese TLKOB ad showing ticket prices and describing the show

Another HUGE ad they had near the side entrance

The much-beloved main rag in all its glory

These screens displayed the script in Mandarin Chinese so the mostly non-English speaking audience could follow along

Much to my surprise, Disney put life-size masks of Simba and Nala in the theatre lobby

For those of you curious about the show, there were two major differences adapted for the Chinese audience.

The first was during the "Rafiki's Tree" scene, at the end of her story she said "Do you understand?" in Chinese, which drew a huge laugh!

The second was during "The Madness of King Scar" scene, instead of singing "It's a Small World After All" Zazu sings perhaps the most popular Chinese song ever, "wo ai ni ai zhe ni," loosely translated to "I love you as a mouse loves rice."

Here are a few more things I noticed that were different from all of the U.S. performances I've seen:

1) There was no mole! Zazu stuck his head completely in the hole. I think only one other time did the mole or gopher or whatever it is did not appear at all.

2) About 5-10% of the audience came in late, and there was a TON of side chatter and flash photography throughout the show, despite adequate warnings.

3) There was a loud crash at the beginning of the Stampede scene as Scar was instructing Simba to stay on the "ledge"

4) Probably safety-related to #3, neither Scar nor Mufasa were flown for the Stampede scene , they performed the "Long live the king" part from the ledge level, greatly diminishing the effect as Mufasa simply staggered backwards instead of physically falling.

5) The shower curtain from the IJCWTBK scene was said to be from a "Flea Market," although there is an IKEA store in downtown Shanghai I believe they changed it so it would be easier to understand for the Chinese audience.

More pics and stuff to come!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was also fortunate enough to make it to the stage door in time to get pictures and autographs of a bunch of the cast members.

We (my mom, sister and I) were the only ones back there that night, so it felt like a private VIP party and it sure was fun to meet and talk with them.

Buyisile Zama as Rafiki put together an incredible performance, she had one of the most rich, powerful voices of any Rafiki I had heard on stage. Some of you may recognize her, she started out as Rafiki in London's West End production of The Lion King.

Terry Bader as Zazu, to be honest he didn't quite perform up to my expectations. Not a great singing voice and didn't show as much enthusiasm in his character as Derek Hasenstab (U.S. touring), who sets the bar for all Zazus to follow.

12 year old Jana Baldemoro as Young Nala, can't help but admire the spunk and cuteness, just like young Nala in the film. BTW that's my sister, but I'm sure most of you figured that out on your own!

12 year old Tarik Frimpong as young Simba, he was great! One of the best young Simbas I've seen, a good singing voice and solid acting, he knew what he was doing on stage. A treat to watch and surely a successful career to follow.

Hangin' out with John Xintavelonis (Pumbaa) and Jamie McGregor (Timon), they came out last as their extensive makeup and costuming took time to remove. They had more onstage chemistry than any other Timon/Pumbaa pair that I've seen - for example in the scene just prior to CYFTLT where Timon goes crazy, Pumbaa took out his tongue and gave his buddy a nice wet lick to help him come to his senses, never seen that before! And in real life they were the same way, feeding off each other, easygoing and fun to talk to, seemingly inseparable.

And for all you hard-core Simba fans... the big surprise is coming up!!!!!! Are you ready?

--------

YES! I was able to meet Turanga Merito!

I had heard many good things about him, but he absolutely blew me away. An excellent high alto singing voice, and he certainly gave everything he had into his character. And yes, he glistened. A lot. I wasn't paying too much attention to that particular detail but I think he started really sweating close during Endless Night. I think he hit his high point at the end of the HLIY reprise, it looked like someone waxed his chest!

Not only that, but I also had the pleasure of interviewing Turanga briefly (and quite informally - I didn't have any questions planned) about the show, and other things, which I will present to you here. It may not be exactly word-for-word as I had to read my scribbled notes, but he has some really interesting things to say.

Turanga is a truly nice and wholehearted person and I feel so privileged to have met such a talented and geniune human being. I wish him the best in whatever direction life takes him after the Shanghai Lion King company comes to a close.

I hope everyone out there enjoys this one of a kind chance to get to know him, and that you have as much fun reading it as I did interviewing him.
    [SIZE=huge]
    Brief Interview with Turanga Merito, ?Adult Simba? in the Shanghai TLKOB production
    [/SIZE]
    Conducted after the August 15, 2006 performance in Shanghai, People?s Republic of China.

Birthplace: Rotorua, New Zealand
    Training: Charisma Church, 1997-2003, Rotorua Lakes High School, 1997-2003
    Theatre: Joseph (Christian City Church), The Wizard of Oz)
    Television: Pukana (New Zealand), Coca Cola Christmas in the Park (New Zealand)
    Other: Jireh Perf. Arts Group

TW: Hello, are you Turanga Merito?

TM: Yes, that?s me!

TW: Great, I thought you looked like Simba. May I have your autograph please?

TM: Of course! My pleasure. Did you enjoy the show?

TW: It was fantastic, and you put on an excellent performance yourself tonight.

TM: Thank you so much.

TW: May I have the honor of getting a photograph as well? I have some friends back home that are huge fans of yours but were not able to make the trip, so it really means a lot for get the chance to meet you in person.

TM: Oh, wow, that?s wonderful to hear. I?m flattered I have fans!

TW: So the Australian company is in Shanghai for how many shows?

TM: 100 shows I believe.

TW: Do you know how far this show is in the run? It?s about halfway through, right?

TM: Well, we?re going to be here through October and we started in mid-July, so it?s
    about half-over, yes.

TW: Are you enjoying your stay in China? How are you getting by on the Chinese food?

TM: It?s quite different from any place I have lived. Much more humid than Australia. I LOVE Chinese food, my personal favorites are the Shanghai fried rice and dumplings.

TM: Is this your first time seeing the show?

TW: I came all the way from the United States to see The Lion King in Shanghai? Actually, it is my seventh time overall!

TM: SEVEN times? That?s amazing!

TW: Well, I figured I would never get to see the Australian cast since you guys left, and that this might be my only chance.

TM: Yes, after we finish up [in Shanghai] I think that?s going to be it for us.

TW: Oh no! They have nothing else planned for your company?

TM: No, not as we speak. I?ve personally been with this cast, for oh? about two years now, first in Sydney, then Melbourne, and finally here in Shanghai.

TW: That?s quite sad news to hear though, I imagine it will be hard to break up this extraordinary group of talent.

TW: Now, are you from Sydney?

TM: No, actually I?m from New Zealand, born and raised there.

TW: Do you miss home while you?re on the road performing in The Lion King?

TM: I do miss seeing family, but I do like the weather up here. Right now it?s wintertime in Australia and it?s quite cold, so when we finish up in Shanghai and go home it will be turning to summer down there!

TW: Ah, so that works out perfectly. Shanghai is much too hot and humid for me.

TM: So you said you were from the U.S.?

TW: Yes, I?m from Seattle in Washington State.

TM: I knew there were some English-speaking people in the audience tonight because
    some people were laughing at our jokes! Some nights nobody laughs, it?s quite awkward.

TW: Indeed, I noticed the Chinese audience reacted very differently than American audiences do to certain parts of the show, sometimes they laughed when they weren?t intended to and didn?t laugh, as you said, at the many jokes in the show.

TM: Something else interesting I noticed was that I guess in China they allow photography in the theater, we?re not used to seeing flashes go off like that!

TW: Yes, that was quite disheartening and distracting to see. Actually, I think it?s more like they don?t know proper etiquette in live theatre, though it was announced very clearly before the show started.

TM: The audiences don?t heed the warnings, and [as a result] we now have clips of the show appearing on Youtube, and all over the internet?

TW: Yeah, I don?t know about that... It?s good that theatergoers are showing interest in the show but people need to have more respect for this show and live theatre in general, I think part of it is that this level and kind of theatre is relatively new to Chinese culture.

TM: Definitely.

TW: By the way, I absolutely loved the way you guys performed the ?He Lives in You? reprise tonight, they way it was backlit with the swirling dots of light, the ghost mask, your and Rafiki?s singing, it was just absolutely spectacular, even better than all of the United States performances I?ve seen. That is my favorite scene in the whole show, very moving and emotional.

TM: Thank you! I love performing that scene as well. I heard a couple people go ?Whooo!? really loud after that scene ended?

TW: [laughs], yeah that was me, and someone else higher in the balcony! We have to show our appreciation for your fine efforts!

TM: Were you able to get good seats?

TW: Yes, we got great ones, they were in the front stalls, right in the middle about 15 or 20 rows back. Just an experience of a lifetime to travel around the world to watch the Australian Cast perform the greatest show on Earth!

TM: I bet it was, and sounds like you had a great time!

TW: Well, thank you so much for your time, Turanga. I don?t want to hold you any longer.

TM: Oh, no worries! I was waiting for someone anyways.

TW: Are there any more cast members coming out?

TM: Yes, Timon and Pumbaa will be coming in about fifteen. They?re always last out,
    can?t miss them!

TW: All right, sounds great. Good luck with the rest of the tour!

TM: Thanks, it was great meeting you!

?2006 lion_king_300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know if this a fake one but I don't think it's fake.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1493546580
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is it often that audience members get to meet the cast? It sounds like you had a great time though...So lucky!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tim, I thought something was wrong with the board for a second. I was like "What happened to the past two years!? !"

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by childlike_ghost
    Is it often that audience members get to meet the cast? It sounds like you had a great time though...So lucky!
    You have to be quick, right when the show ends you need to exit the theater and go to the "stage door," which is where the actors and cast come out after each performance.

Though they're tired and want to go back to the hotel to get some rest, cast members generally love to give autographs and answer and questions you may have about the show.

The trouble is that it's sometimes difficult to recognize the actors/actresses out of costume so you may miss someone you really want to meet!

-----

And nice find, Fendi! That profile definitely looks genuine. I doubt he remembers me though - last I heard he was studying theater in New York as he awaits his next big break as a actor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fendi, yeah it's the right Turanga (btw heared a song of his the other day and must say he was excellent!)

Thought I'd put this up and share with you but I'm relly really beging everyone to not use this anywhere (but your computers if someone has a big wish to save it for personal use LOL) it's disney copyright and all the people on the pictures as well as other could get in major major trouble! ok? ok!

Paris and Paris cast on the pictures;
    clockwise starting with
    -me and Steve B.(Mufasa understudy) making a famous Steve pout,
    -me&Jeffrey Richardson-swing (also formal Australia and Shanghai cast),
    -Mathieu B.(Simba understudy),
    -Steve B.& Olivier B. (Scar),
    -me&Jeff again,
    -South Africans eating hyena,
    -Zama M. (Rafiki),me&Ida (crew),
    -me with Simba lol,
    -Olivier&David E. (Zazu)

...and center
    -me fixing Simba (another Simba watching )

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ariscoljx5.jpg

note:it was around new years, so you don't wonder bout all the drinks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    London and London cast, clockwise, starting with;
    -our 3 zebras (Patience, Tamara, Mitch)
    -Brian Temba (Simba) and me
    -ensemble people: Luyanda, Ntiskelelo, Gitty, crew guy Matt, Tamara and in the middle front David Dennis
    -crew girls, mask&puppets dep. (Ida, Monica, me)
    -me with my walkie&headset
    -Brian with my girls, Wen, Nat and Suilin (all ensemble)
    -Brian T. aka Simba on his way off the stage (15 min pause)
    -center me trying to get into the role

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndncolkvp2.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome collection of pictures Z!!!

I WILL make it backstage sometime to see all the masks costumes up close before I die.

<steals Simba mask and runs onstage to sing Endless Night>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome pictures everyone, and I enjoyed reading that interview LK300! I've only seen the play once last January. I didn't think I was ever gonna be able to see it since it doesn't play in Finland, but I was very lucky to get the chance to see it while I'm in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Which one are you Zaya?

Edit: NVM, I just read your post
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks LK300, got more, but it's just many randoms of the working space backstage, it's a MESS!! Or the same friends on all the other pictures...ahhh, many many more of my boy B, LOL

Btw. maybe you shouldn't even wish for seeing them all up close, you have no idea how clumsy it's made and the way they repair it...ISH! :S

lol, Fendi, gotta read before you watch the pictures, ts ts ts guess yu noticed it's me practically everywhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Zaya

lol, Fendi, gotta read before you watch the pictures, ts ts ts guess yu noticed it's me practically everywhere
    Yeah, you work at the theater or the production?

Is that Simba with those girls? Man I knew it, Simba the Pimp. Zaya you're good looking your self. *nods*
    = ). Nice picture.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I worked with the London and with the Paris production in the masks&puppet department (going back to either one of them when i finish my dagree), all the contracts and work "goes" with the production and people are all hired by Disney or in Paris case Stage Entertainment. It's practiclly a big moving piece

Yeah that's Simba the pimp, there is always a big "pile" of girls around him...may it be the theatre, the stage door, a club, the street, he's just popular haha. He's a close and special friend tho and a wonderful guy, no pimp qualities, LOL.

Awwww, well thank you for the compliment, altho I think I look rather crapy on those pictures, most taken during dusty work or after shows when you're tired and realy just want to go home and sleeeeeep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Marry me, *singing* Loving you... is easy cause you're beautiful.... lol [end spam]

Any cute lionesses for me?
    Okay enough of the mushy stuff.

How long did ya work with the production? I'm sure you get well paid for this heavy job. I love working behind the scene, especially working with music. I never watch the broadway but I'll wait my chance to see it when I'm in USA.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You'll have to ask Simba the pimp there

Cute lionesses everywhere around you at these theatres...

I only worked trough last summer in London, did not get paid for that because I was doing work experience, in Paris I worked for a month and a half now, paid badly, but it's worth it!