Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 105 of 111 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2210

Thread: Looking for TLKoB midis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, same mistake as usual...everyone is Jason and Heather

I might go see the french thing, but I'm not sure I want to give out all that money when I won't understand half of what they're saying :S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    THE STRIKE IS OVER!

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh dear .. :woeisme:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by HasiraKali
    And for those wondering what Larry Yando has been up to...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...ck=1&cset=true
    Ack, I really wanna read this article but you have to sign up or something... can you post the text Amanda please???

Larry Yando was my favorite Scar and I'm curious what he's doing after TLKOB. Hopefully his back's healed up - and he almost went completely bald because of the Scar headpiece he had to wear every night! When I first saw him during a TV interview in 2004 just after he first started, he had pretty much a full head of hair, but when I took a picture with him after seeing him perform in 2006 (San Jose) he didn't have much hair left!

---

And OMG what I would give to be able to own this:

They finally released the Cast Album this Monday!

Sucks so much that you have to live in France to by anything from the French Amazon.com website... it doesn't look like there's a way around it.

Please PM me if you are able to get ahold of this CD or its tracks - I can't find one copy on sale in the United States. You'd seriously make my week.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I know someone who's going to Paris this weekend. I'll see if she can help us out. I'd give it a few weeks. It'll pop up on Amazon like the Japanese and German ones soon.

Here's the text.

Stellar Scrooge keeps Goodman's 'Christmas Carol' from holiday rut

By Chris Jones

Tribune theater critic

November 28, 2007

Maybe it's his crinkly visage or the powerful waves of emotion that pass through his face and flow into the theater. Or maybe it's that many months in huge road theaters playing Scar in "The Lion King" was a singularly effective training ground for old Ebenezer Scrooge. Larry Yando had to stoop to handle that mechanical Julie Taymor contraption -- and, until the jubilant final scene at least, Yando's Dickensian miser comes with much the same gait.

But whatever the genesis, Yando's debut in the lead role in the Goodman Theatre's annual production of "A Christmas Carol" is a triumphant one.

Yando is more expansive in emotion than his predecessors (who were no slouches), yet he delivers no false notes. Instead of merely creating a miser who turns into a big-hearted softy, Yando delivers a complicated emotional journey that you can read in complete detail from the back of the house. As a result, it feels as if "A Christmas Carol" has acquired a bigger-than-life star.

It needs one. This show has remained almost identical for many years. And while this is a seasonal story one can enjoy over and again (even after some 10 consecutive years, I still find the narrative pleasurable), I'm all for ditching the clunky set. This oft-awkward and conventional physical production was created back when the Goodman was still settling into its new home, and it's surely time to blow up this thing from a visual perspective and start from a blank Dickensian page. There are only so many tweaks a director can make when the scenery and the script never change.

If you've never seen this show, of course, that won't bother you. And while some of the comedic performances therein are looking rote, Bill Brown's reliable production features an appealingly off-beat take on Bob Cratchit from Ron Rains, the typically resonant Fred from Steven Hinger and a further reminder that the terrific Steve Haggard finally solved the long-standing problem that was the Ghost of Christmas Past.

But aside from Yando's splendid turn, the moment that stuck with me the most was an arresting young actor named Eric Galvan, who plays nothing more than a singing urchin. His sudden, fresh rush of emotion shook up the show -- and maybe even pointed a potential new direction down those old and resonant streets of London.

----------

cjones5@tribune.com

- - -

"A Christmas Carol"

When: Through Dec. 29

Where: Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St.

Running time: 2 hours, 10 minutes

Tickets: $20-$70 at 312-443-3800

Copyright ? 2007, Chicago Tribune

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    And what I wouldn't give o_O

My boyfriend goes to France sometimes (cab driver) I always say for fun "bring me something" ... but now I ain't laughing anymore when I'll say it, haha.

Going to Disneyland Paris next week ... I wonder if they'd have it there.
    But we're going by car.
    So maybe on the Monday morning, we can find a store somewhere.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm working on ordering from Amazon. My French friend is helping.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Omg omg *is hyper* WANTS IT

They totaly changed all titles / lyrics though :s

http://www.amazon.fr/Roi-Lion-Elton-...6379546&sr=8-5

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I GOT IT! I went with speedy shipping (making it like $45.00) but it's coming. The site says I should have it next week! EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Edit: I just told my sister and she rolled her eyes at me. That might be the bouncing though.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Don't like the fact they changed the lyrics aswell :s

Translating the titles from the movie from French to Dutch, they sound so much better, then translating the musical French to Dutch.

'Cause I kind of hated the Dutch lyrics for the musical :E

None the less, can't wait to get my hands on it
    *hopes to finding it Monday in France*

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I found a really great interview with John Plumpis, the Timon actor from one of the U.S. Touring productions! I saw him in Orlando last January and this interview is dated in 2003 so he's been at this quite a while!

This might be the best interview I've ever read, the questions asked are pretty much the same questions I would ask if I wanted to know more about him, and almost all of them are related to the show.

I also rank John as my all-time favorite Timon actor, he improvised many of his lines and added some things that I've never seen Timon do before, and they were laugh-out-loud funny. He was great! Enjoy the interview.

John Plumpis (Timon) Interview

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nice interview Tim. John was such a nice guy in January. So kind of him to talk with us and take pictures when he was clearly tired and ready to go home. He could have just said no. What a nice guy.

THE CD IS HERE!!!!! EEEEEEE!

And now a play by play (May contain spoilers):

I looked through the booklet... NICE! Pretty new pictures. There are two that stand out: a close up of the lionesses and a shot of the HLIY(reprise) sequence. I scanned them both if anyone wants to see them. They will be icons soon.

I'm putting it in the player right now... player is loading... apparently there's some additional content (enhanced CD)... registering... HOLY SHRIMP! It's got a link to a website with exclusive content. It's got making of videos (I wish I understood French), music videos, photos, all kinds of stuff! Most of the photos are brand new, but a couple are standard shots (the gazelles, giraffes, etc). These are now saved too if anyone wants to see them. There's a shot of Nala from MoKS and of adult Simba from HM. Shots from those scenes seem to be kind of rare.

Alright enough goofing around. Time for the mane event!

Le Cercle de La Vie: O.M.G. The orchestrations are GORGEOUS! That's one thing that disappoints me about the OBCR, the orchestrations aren't really all that much like they are in the show. Rafiki has a wonderful voice. It's not grating like some Rafiki's can be. There are the goosebumps. This is wonderful. I can't get over the orchestrations. The antelope are awesome too. It sounds just like it does in the theater. Well minus the gasping audience. Here comes the boom... Awww. It was tiny.

La Savane: Very heavy on the drums. Love it. This is one of my favourite tracks on any of the cast albums. This is the best one so far. I thought it would be hard to beat the Japanese version, but this one might have.

L'Echo du Matin: Again, great orchestrations. Zazu's voice actually isn't all that annoying. I like it. Mufasa sounds weird in French. This is not my favourite song in general, but this is a fun version.

La Chase des Lionnes: This is my favourite non-story song in the whole show. I hope it's good. So far (the a capella opening) it sounds exactly like the Japanese one. Nice harmonies. Ok here we go. This one has some good points, but the Japanese version is still my favourite.

Moi, J'Veux Super Vite Etre Roi: Interesting opening. Again, sounds just like the orchestrations in the theater. Simba sounds a lot like Jason Weaver. Little bit deeper tone in some places, but they sound similar. It's funny when Zazu has to speak faster to say the lines in French. Kind of adds to the feeling of frustration with the cubs. I love the part that would be "This child is getting wildly out of wing". He punctuates each word. It's great. Young Nalas can tend to have an annoying voice, but this girl (whose name is Ursula) doesn't.

Bon App': Hyena time! OMG Ed. He starts early. They sound especially evil in French. Ed doesn't say much, but what he does do in this is stealing the song. Bwahahaha. The orchestrations are again just like the live show. Now I'm excited for Be Prepared. Shenzi sounds like a man in the part where the cubs run away. Not bad overall.

Ils Vivent en Toi: Mufasa's voice reminds me of the upper ranges of a French-Canadian singer named Garou. It's not gravely though. This guy has a beautiful voice. It's giving me goosebumps. It's... actually making me want to cry it's so pretty. My mum's impressed as well. I'm going to listen to it again.

Soyez Pr?ts: Alright Scar, impress me. Whoa. It starts right in there doesn't it? Again, just like the theater. Random electric guitar. So far, he's just talk singing. And still kind of talk singing as we go into the chorus. This is reminding me of the French revolution. The "no king no king la la la la la". Haha. I think it's because they're talking about killing the king in French. Yeah, that's what it is. He's still talk singing! Stop it! Whoo hoo hyena disco! I'm kind of bummed they left this part off the OBCR. It's so random and cheesy, yet somehow... awesome. So Scar didn't really impress me all that much. Sad.

La Ru?e des Animaux: This is a good arrangement too. There's a random guitar that squeals through every now and then, but otherwise just like the live experience.

Rafiki est en Deuil: I first read that as "Rafiki est Devil" and went "Whaaaa? O.o" Haha. This is really when Rafiki's can get obnoxious in the voice department. This one hasn't really yet. She's got a great Rafiki voice. Kind of reminiscent of Tsidi Le Loka. She really sounds like a shaman chanting in that crazy bit where the lionesses come in. Very nice. They carry it out a longer than the other recordings. Like after they all howl at the end, they keep going with the humula humula bit.

Hakuna Matata: These two are great so far. I bet they're a hoot live. Here comes Simba Yay! He has a nice voice! Bring on Endless Night. Bwahahahaha! There's a surprise at the end.

One by One: This is a really good version of the this song. The Dutch version so far has been my favourite, but this one is better.

La Folie du Roi Scar: Not expecting much out of this one after Be Prepared. We'll see what happens. The hyenas are the best part so far. Bit of a weird pause between the hyeas saying "my bones are on the outside looking in" and Scar saying "Are you blaming me?". Oh I like that little bit of operaish stuff after. And when Scar's seeing his shadow and thinking it's Mufasa has some lovely instrumental stuff going on behind. Here comes Nala. I like their argument. No slappy noise. He just grunts... which makes me picture her racking him. Nice finish!

Terre d'Ombre: LOVE the beginning of this. The "lea halalela"s are so pretty. So's her voice. Pretty pretty. I know this line's in French but it sounded like she said "Salsa breeze". This is really beautiful. Gorgeous.

Nuit Sans Fin: I love when the include those little vocals before the stars go out. The music here kind of sounds synthed. His voice is good. Here come the goosebumps. Now it sounds less synthed. Once the drums come in, it sounds better. Very nice. More goosebumps. Crescendo. Ooooo! Lovely last note there. Very nice.

Quand Soudain l'Amour est L?: Weird last note from Timon there. Pretty now. The tempo seems faster than the other recordings. Maybe it's just me. Their voices sound really good together. The interlude is really pretty too. It sounds slower than the other versions. I'm starting to think it's just me. Little bit different there with some cello action before Simba and Nala come back in. Seemed like a few measures were added too. Sounded good though. Very tender ending. Awwww.

Ils Vit en Toi (Reprise): Very nice so far. I just love this Rafiki's voice. She does some great improvising in this. Very pretty and passionate. Some pretty harmonies with the background singers too. I'm really loving this number. Whoo! Drums! Goosebumps. Simba really gets to show his range in this doesn't he? It sounds so effortless. On both their parts actually. Love this.

Simba se Confronte ? Scar: New orchestrations. Again, tempo sounds slower than in other versions. This time I know it's not me. It's definitely slower. The slower tempo makes the battle seem less intense and urgent. In general it seems bogged down by it's own tempo. The orchestrations do sound good, it just needs to be faster. Haha it's got that bit where Timon and Pumbaa are chased across the stage by the hyenas.

Le Roi du Rocher des Lions/Le Cercle de la Vie (reprise): Now it speeds up. This is faster than other versions. Almost like the orchestra is saying "Hurry up and finish it. I want to go home." But in French. Nice violin trio going there with the "This Land" theme. Goosebumps. Simba's climbing the rock. Goosebumps like whoa. Nice transition to the CoL reprise. There are some extra instruments in there that are making it sound more celebratory than usual. It sounds good. And they're using the lyrics that they actually use in the show rather than what's used in the movie and OBCR. The "It's the Circle of Life..." ones rather than the "'Til we find our place..." ones. Non-existent boom. Sadness.

Overall, a GREAT recording. Even if you're not a completes like myself, it's definitely worth getting a hold of this. One of the best of the stage show recordings.

And now... I go to listen to it again.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by HasiraKali
    Nice interview Tim. John was such a nice guy in January. So kind of him to talk with us and take pictures when he was clearly tired and ready to go home. He could have just said no. What a nice guy.
    Yeah, he was great. It was so totally worth waiting around all that time just to meet him and tell him how much I loved his performance.

And I totally forgot that we took a picture with him! It's got to be around here somewhere...

<digs through old vacation albums>

Ahhh here he is, DA PLUMPIS mingling with the commoners!

This is my favorite response he gave:

Tell us how you prepared for the role of Timon.

Well, it?s funny. You sort of get pigeon-holed; you begin to be typecast. And because of the way I look ? I?m a curly-haired, short Greek ? I tend to play a lot of short, funny Jews. And in the commercial things I?ve done, I?ve sort of gone in the direction of the wise-cracking New Yorker. So this role was right up my alley. In terms of auditioning, I studied the movie very closely. I think in this instance, you?d be a fool not to do a facsimile of some sort of the film, because deciding that Timon is a farmer from Maine? well, that?s not who he is, and that?s not what his function is in the play, and you wouldn?t get the role.
    Timon IS a short, funny, wise-cracking Jewish New Yorker.

---

And OMG my CD is en route now so I didn't want to read all your analysis... but I did anyways of course!

Now I really can't wait... the suspense is killing me!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    same for me, haha, I despiratly wanna here the full lyrics and see what changes they made

(hopefully they'll be a lot better then the Dutch translations)

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hear there's a South African cast recording, but I'm not sure if it'll be released officially.

LK 300, you know what, the other day I remembered you met Turanga in Shanghai, cause my bestie used to play in LK Shanghai, she was a swing, and my other friend from France also knows Turanga, the world is so small! haha

Btw. he now studies in New York if yall didn't know, so you can "stalk" him there if you want to haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's great to hear, Zaya! I was wondering what "T" was up to once the Australian cast broke up. He has so much talent and personality, best of luck to him as he awaits his next big break as an actor.

What was your bestie's name so I can look her up in the playbill?

---

And OMG FINALLY the day has come!

My Le Roi Lion CD finally came in! I listened to the whole thing while wrapping Christmas presents and I'm listening to it a second time now.

Since Hasira_Kali already pretty much gave a rundown of each track and I also agree with almost everything she said, I'll just add a few comments with the song titles in English:

Circle of Life is AWESOME, as HK said the orchestrations are very full unlike the OBCR. The antelope singers I thought were very vocal and much more noticeable than in other versions of COL, but at least its different.

Mufasa sounded VERY monotone in Morning Report, during the speaking part. Kinda sounds like he's sleeping when he says his first lines. I usually skip this song but this one I think is the best out of all the foreign cast albums. Cub Simba sounds EXACTLY like Evan Saucedo who did the voice over for this song on the TLK SE DVD.

I Just Can't Wait to be King - I like it, but Simba sounds a bit too old, like he's 13 or so - his voice has already begun to change. Cub Nala has a nice voice, not annoying like many I've seen on stage.

They Live in You - WOW Jee-L has an amazing voice. His voice is cast a little high for Mufasa but he displays great range in this song and does wonderful inflections with his voice during certain parts of the song that I haven't heard in any other album. Great rendition.

Be Prepared- The hyena disco part sounds like it was dubbed off the German/Dutch cast recording, they all sound exactly identical. I'd even be willing to bet that it was.

Scar's talk-singing didn't really impress me either, he came across as too melodramatic that way, not as "nasty" as he could (or should be) Even at the end during the climax of the song Scar's still talking. Even John Vickery was better.

The "NO KING NO KING" part made me It's just... different and much more syncopated. Sounds like they're speaking Chinese.

Shadowland - This is the BEST version of Shadowland I've ever heard. Leah Vincent has an unbelieveable voice and there's something about the French language that makes this song even more "soulful" and emotional than other albums.

Endless Night - Jeremy Fontanet did not disappoint, he knocked this song out of the park. Spine-tingling good.

Can You Feel the Love Tonight - I didn't like Timon's last note either (it sounds like he's in pain), but the beginning of the chorus quickly made me forget how bad it was. And you're right about the interlude being slightly slower in tempo, I noticed this too. Nala gets to again showcase her gorgeous voice. Would love to see this onstage, reviews say the French production is more "romantic" overall and I think that would show through in this scene.

He Lives in You (reprise) - My favorite song and scene overall in TLKOB, I had high expectations for this version and it far exceeded them in *almost* every way.

Rafiki's voice is a great opening. Does sound synthesized, moreso than other versions but doesn't detract from the song. Love Rafiki holding that note just before the interlude, beautiful.

Very disappointed that they didn't include Mufasa's ghost like in the Japanese cast album. That would have been so cool, but they didn't do it for the other European cast albums so I wasn't exactly expecting it.

LOVE the vocals Rafiki adds during the second chorus, I love this part because it gives the actress a chance to improvise a bit and even live on stage no two times will this sound exactly alike.

Reprise part coming now...

The chorus sounds much more lively, full and in absolutely perfectly in harmony, great example is the last note and also the "He lives in youuuuu" note just before Simba comes in. Just awesome. Simba's part is great too, it's much better than the music video version they made. I love that Simba can sing his lines for this song in about 10 different ways depending on the different inflections he makes and they could all sound great. Not quite as inventive as the German version but still very good.

King of Pride Rock/Circle of Life (reprise) - I actually disagree with Amanda here, I didn't think the tempo was any faster than other cast albums. I think I hear a synthesizer during the Busa part that I haven't heard before. Glad they started with "It's the Circle of Life" rather than "Til we find..." shows how ghetto the OBCR is compared to all the other cast albums.

WHERE'S THE BASS DRUM????

Ok, I guess I have to do it.

[SIZE=huge][BOOM][/SIZE]

All in all, great album as expected. Love how each foreign production tweaks things a little differently and the new voices keeps it fresh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nice review Tim. I'm thinking of going through all the cast albums and making an ultimate cast album with my favourite versions of each of the songs. It would be hard to choose between them on a few, but it could be fun.

OT: Getting excited about your trip yet? We've got 26 days to go.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Me gots it too

Love the voices ^^
    The chorus could be a little louder though.

I'll post some more stuff what I think about it later

(I have 2, if anyone wants a copy)

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    wait, what, you have two copys of the album?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hahaha! Nathalie buys big

LK 300, her name is Amy Edwards, I also know Andile Gumbi from that cast (I think he was ensemble, he plays adult Simba now in South Africa) and David Denis, who's now with the London company, he's my favorite giraffe,

Still didn't get to hear the french cast recording but your reviews make it seem great! Not what I've hared from the people who saw the show :S