Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 104 of 111 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2210

Thread: Looking for TLKoB midis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I found this interesting article about the dancer who plays the Cheetah in the Cheetah company. There's some interesting info at the end. I wonder what that means exactly.

Living the dream
    A local dancer gets her teeth into her role as a cheetah in 'The Lion King'

By Burl Burlingame

You can have your bubbly Disney teenage singers called the Cheetah Girls. For Honolulu audiences, the real Cheetah Girl is Charlaine Katsuyoshi of the ensemble menagerie on stage at the Blaisdell Concert Hall.

Afraid that "Lion King" is sold out? It isn't. Tickets are available for many shows, although there aren't as many choices as there used to be.

We are, of course, talking about "Disney's The Lion King," the extraordinary musical based on the animated movie, and Katsuyoshi is the local girl living her dream. It means strapping on a puppet apparatus and making it come alive, singing and dancing and instilling a willing suspension of disbelief. It's all quite amazing to see, and Katsuyoshi is thrilled to be in the cast, but the icing on the cake is that the road company has set up camp in Honolulu. Cheetah Girl has come home.

"I love it. It's great to hang out with my parents, even if it's at a construction site," said Katsuyoshi, whose given name is a contraction of her parents' names, Charles and Elaine. Her grandmother (the famed Helen Chock of Helena's Hawaiian Food) died recently, and the old Nuuanu home is getting a long-delayed renovation. Whenever she's not perambulating onstage, you're likely to find Katsuyoshi at Home Depot or City Mill.

"It's a treat to be able to see your family whenever you want. When you're so far away, on the mainland, you get out of the habit; but here, you're surrounded by aunties and cousins and old friends."
    She always has been a dancer.
    "My training in Hawaii was really amazing, actually. My mom always encouraged me to follow what I loved and trucked me around to all the schools and teachers and classes here when I was growing up. She never forced me, although she always knew when to say something to make me better. I did it because I just loved dance. But I never thought I could do it professionally. Make a living at it? Come on!"

After graduating from 'Iolani School, Katsuyoshi attended the University of California at Irvine and began to dance professionally. "At that point, I began to think, maybe I could do this as a career."
    After graduating with a bachelors degree in dance, Katsuyoshi did what many in the L.A. area do -- television. "I worked on 'Blade: The Series' and 'Fame L.A.,' but I was used to live theater. TV is all, like, 'Cut! Reshoot! Reset!' Very stop-and-go. I missed the audience."

And so when she was offered at slot in Connecticut's MOMIX dance troupe, Katsuyoshi didn't hesitate to relocate. "They're very sort of Cirque de Soleil, but with a lot of props and visual imagination," Katsuyoshi said. "I was there a few years, but it took me all over the world. I have a great memory of performing in an actual ancient amphitheater in Greece."
    She then spent seven years with the modern-repertory company Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, performing a wide variety of contemporary ballets.

During her last year in Chicago, a "good friend who was in town with the touring company of 'Lion King' urged me to audition. I didn't want to do it. I didn't even have a current head shot or resume. ... I tried out, gave them an old photo and a reused resume with my contact information handwritten in the corner."

And that was that. Offered a slot in "Movin' Out," Katsuyoshi decided she didn't want to do that. She sold her house in Chicago and moved back to Hawaii, living off her house profits, working in her grandmother's restaurant and teaching dance part time at Mid-Pacific Institute.
    "It had been a year since I did the 'Lion King' audition, and I didn't have much money left," Katsuyoshi said. "Then, out of the blue, they called. It was a Friday, and they wanted me in Houston on Monday. Pack everything you have, and get on the plane!"

She's been living on the road since.
    "I keep it down to two suitcases, two small bags and my trunk. When I'm on the road, I do my best to get into the city we're in, see and do as much as possible, take yoga classes and teach dance classes. And I love to bicycle."

She says she's still "in awe" of how tightly managed "Lion King" is. "They're unbelievable. We move, they get it up and running in just a few days.

"You have to learn the entire show in less than two weeks. One big rehearsal, and then next show you're out in front of an audience. The first time you're scared out of your mind! But it's so busy, things flying at you and around you, you just fall into the clockwork and become part of the works. It's very smooth."

She did have to find the right balance of straps for the Cheetah puppet/costume to avoid back problems. "It's way out in front of you, like you're pregnant and also have a baby strapped on in front. A little awkward at first, but you know, our goal is to BECOME the puppet, not just manipulate it. You're not fooling anyone into thinking it's a real cheetah, but it should have the spirit and soul of a real cheetah."

Practice perfects timing. Katsuyoshi said that call time is only half an hour before the performance, and she morphs from a civilian into a cheetah in something like 15 minutes. And back into a civilian in even less time. "People backstage are always surprised at how quickly it shuts down. It's very businesslike. We're often gone before the audience has cleared the aisles."

Now 30, Katsuyoshi says that although she has some good years left, dancing takes a toll on the body. "At some point, I'm going to have to go back to school and learn a new skill set. But not tomorrow."
    This particular company will break up in March after playing Mexico City and Milwaukee, and the performers will scatter. Katsuyoshi has a contract "sort of" lined up in New York, but acknowledges that she might get another call from Disney down the road. After all, Cheetah Girl is a skill set not easily learned.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was afraid of this, but I could definitely see it coming - that Lion King will reduce to one U.S. touring cast. I think it's because now they've hit all the theatre markets that they wanted to in the country (at least those that they deemed the most profitable) so they no longer need the second company.

That's pretty sad news nonetheless and I hope it doesn't spark a decline in the show's popularity. As much as I hate to believe it, cutting an entire touring cast seems to signify that the show is "over the hill," but luckily the International productions are flourishing which will help TLKOB's overall longevity.

And that further diminishes the chances of the show ever coming back to my area... it's been 3 years now. Was hoping we'd be on the schedule for 08-09, but with only one cast that's unlikely.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Cutting touring casts doesn't really mean anything as far as the production as a whole goes. The same thing happened to Phantom a few years ago. Back in the 90s there were three U.S touring companies. They slowly cut it back to one. Everyone thought the show would close/loose business, but it obviously didn't as it's the longest running show on Bway now. TLKoB is certainly not over-the-hill. It's half the age of the longest running show, and that's saying something. I think it's something like the 9th longest running one itself. That's not too shabby, considering what critics predicted when the show was first opened and how long shows seem to last these days, I'd say that's damn good.

It does suck that the tour won't be hitting as many cities. I'll just have to take more trips to see it.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, maybe "over the hill" wasn't the right term to use, all I meant was the production may be past its prime in the United States. If it wasn't, I think they would have kept the second cast and revisited the major markets (which they have already done to a large degree, I think they've been to certain cities like Minneapolis 4 times in 10 years), but after doing research on Disney's marketing strategies I know that with every venture like a touring cast production of one of its musicals-it has to achieve an extremely high ROI (return on investment) for the company to deem it worth their while, and obviously it wasn't profitable enough anymore. You're probably right in that it isn't going to affect the production as a whole very much since TLKOB is so widespread now and doing well, but one has to think that it was in response to a gradual decline of popularity for the show as a touring production. It's a very, very slow decline (remember I'm only talking about the U.S.) but my point was that the Lion King, with the cutting of one touring company, will never be MORE popular or profitable for the Walt Disney Company than it was with two touring companies, and it's longevity from here on out will be determined on how high the hill was when the show went "over" the hill, which in my opinion was when they decided to move the show from the New Am to the Minskoff to make room for Mary Poppins. Given the show's success in the past 10 years, the hill is probably about as tall as Mount Everest so I know it'll take at least as long to come "down" the hill as it did to get up, which means TLKOB should be around for at least another 10 years.

I didn't mean at all that it was going to fizzle out and die, and the statistics you gave are a great example. I don't think TLKOB will catch or outlast Phantom, but it will definitely be in the top 3 longest-running when it's done.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Lion_King_300
    And that further diminishes the chances of the show ever coming back to my area... it's been 3 years now. Was hoping we'd be on the schedule for 08-09, but with only one cast that's unlikely.
    I was hoping that too... It sure didn't seem like TLKoB was on the West Coast very often...
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Lion_King_300
    Well, maybe "over the hill" wasn't the right term to use, all I meant was the production may be past its prime in the United States. If it wasn't, I think they would have kept the second cast and revisited the major markets (which they have already done to a large degree, I think they've been to certain cities like Minneapolis 4 times in 10 years), but after doing research on Disney's marketing strategies I know that with every venture like a touring cast production of one of its musicals-it has to achieve an extremely high ROI (return on investment) for the company to deem it worth their while, and obviously it wasn't profitable enough anymore. You're probably right in that it isn't going to affect the production as a whole very much since TLKOB is so widespread now and doing well, but one has to think that it was in response to a gradual decline of popularity for the show as a touring production. It's a very, very slow decline (remember I'm only talking about the U.S.) but my point was that the Lion King, with the cutting of one touring company, will never be MORE popular or profitable for the Walt Disney Company than it was with two touring companies, and it's longevity from here on out will be determined on how high the hill was when the show went "over" the hill, which in my opinion was when they decided to move the show from the New Am to the Minskoff to make room for Mary Poppins. Given the show's success in the past 10 years, the hill is probably about as tall as Mount Everest so I know it'll take at least as long to come "down" the hill as it did to get up, which means TLKOB should be around for at least another 10 years.

I didn't mean at all that it was going to fizzle out and die, and the statistics you gave are a great example. I don't think TLKOB will catch or outlast Phantom, but it will definitely be in the top 3 longest-running when it's done.
    Gotcha. I thought you were worried about the show as a whole.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sharifu
    I was hoping that too... It sure didn't seem like TLKoB was on the West Coast very often...
    Yeah I totally noticed that - and the fact that the show seemed to visit a whole bunch of smaller markets and cities that wouldn't seem like a profitable idea like... for example the show has been to I think 5 different cities in Florida, each within a 2-3 hour drive of each other - Jacksonville, Ft. Meyers, Orlando, Tampa Bay and Fort Lauderdale - which is pretty crazy, it just doesn't make sense. Also the city of Tulsa, Oklahoma surprised me as a tour stop, it's the 45th-largest city in the United States and the local economy is largely based on oil-drilling revenue.

And Seattle, Washington (my hometown) has a huge market for theatre and it took seven years for the show to get there in the first place, and has only been to Oregon once in almost 11 years. Seems kinda unbalanced, though the show was permanently in L.A. for a while and has been to San Fran/San Jose a few times, I think we've kinda been gipped a little here in the Pacific Northwest.

lol ok I'll stop ranting about this.

[END OF RANT]

I got a pair of tickets to see TLKOB in Milwaukee, Wisconsin March 2nd - anyone wanna go with me? 5th row Orchestra!

I think I had the sudden urge to spend $168 a few weeks ago so I snatched up these tickets. Never been to Milwaukee, but they got good cheese there I heard.

I'll probably just resell them, but that would be a fun mini-vacation.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think it was in San Francisco only once... Although it was there for an extended period of time... I think 10 to 11 months when it was originally only going to be there for a few months. And it was in San Jose and Sacramento once for a couple months. So at least it have been in Northern California 3 different times. Still I can't get over Florida getting it so many times... Not fair!
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Couldn't scan them, but took photos, not the best tho...that lil "program" thing was with most of the magazines and papers in France some time ago

French Simba:

French Mufasa (Jee-L):

and Simba again:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The last pic - guy on a right just somehow diesent fits in.
    Who understands french?

Btw. Nice machetes! Special ability: Free tetanus.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I could ask my boyfriend, he speaks fluently French.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OMFG!!! YEEEEEEY!!! Nathalie has a boyfriend!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    HOLY SHRIMP Z! You NEED to scan those.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Zaya
    OMFG!!! YEEEEEEY!!! Nathalie has a boyfriend!!
    for over 2 months now

you seem more thrilled then I was at the beginning, whaha

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just happy for yall!!

HK I'll scan as soon as I get hold of a scaner

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Zaya
    I'm just happy for yall!!
    thanks ^^

things are so much better then with my ex ever was

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can trust you on that one, now you have your very own Simba (just to be more on topic hahahahaha)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hehe

Oooh, I noticed 2 weeks ago, there's this Belgian store "Fnac" it also sells concert/theater tickets.

They sell tickets for the French musical ^^

I won't be seeing it though (thought about it, going for a weekend to Paris or so), 90 ? ... where in London we payed like 60 ? for the same seats :s

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There's a new Simba and Nala in the tour that's going through Detroit this weekend through January 6th.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...711260385/1033

There's a really bad mistake in their photo captions.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    And for those wondering what Larry Yando has been up to...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...ck=1&cset=true

*Team Night Sky*