Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completely Useless but Fairly Intriguing Statistics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here are some (more!) interesting facts to read...

Ancient Egyptians shaved off their eyebrows to mourn the deaths of their cats.

A bowling pin need only tilt 7.5 degrees in order to fall down.

The right side of a boat was called the starboard side due to the that the astronavigators used to stand out on the plank (which was on the right side) to get an unobstructed view of the stars. The left side was called the port side because that was the side you put in on at the port. This was so that they didn't knock off the starboard!

The Japanese word "Arigato" meaning thank you is derived from the Portugese word "Obrigado". Portugal once had a thriving trade with Japan.

The bubbles in Guinness Beer sink to the bottom rather than float to the top like all other beers. No one knows why.

Jupiter's core is in fact made of a non-metal, but due to the immense pressure inside Jupiter the core has become a metal. This metal is hydrogen.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

A fullgrown bear can run as fast as a horse.

When opossums are playing opossum, they are not "playing." They actually pass out from sheer terror.

Every male over the 18 is considered part of the Arizona Militia according to state constitution.

The word "karate" means "empty hand."

Four people played Darth Vader: David Prowse was his body, James Earl Jones did the voice, Sebastian Shaw was his face and a fourth person did the breathing.

A hamlet is a village without a church and a town is not a city until it has a cathedral.

49.6% of US residents live in Eastern time zone, 29.3% live in the Central time zone, 5.3% live in the Mountain time zone, 15.0% live in the Pacific time zone and .8% live in any other time zone.

Texas is also the only state that is allowed to fly its state flag at the same height as the U.S. flag.

If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the bottom.

Tommy Lee Jones and Al Gore were freshman roommates at Harvard.

A lion's roar can be heard from five miles away. (I doubt there's anyone here who didn't already know that :shout: )

The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.

The launching mechanism of a carrier ship that helps planes to take off, could throw a pickup truck over a mile.

If you told someone that they were one in a million, you'd be saying there were about 1,800 of them in China.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

The average sixty minute audio cassette tape has 562.5 feet of tape in it, nearly two football fields long

The ashes of the average cremated person weigh nine pounds.

The "save" icon on Microsoft Word shows a floppy disk, with the shutter on backwards.

Assuming Rudolph was in front, there are 40,320 ways to arrange the other eight reindeer.

The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene.

Robert E. Lee, of the Confederate Army, remains the only person, to date, to have graduated from the West Point military academy without a single demerit.

Croatia was the first country to recognize the United States in 1776.

There are only 14 blimps in the world, and 10 of them are in the U.S.

Pinocchio is Italian for "pine eyes."

If you stretch a standard Slinky out flat it measures 87 feet long.

Most Americans' car horns beep in the key of F. The telephone dial tone is also in the key of F.

Barbie's measurements if she were life size: 39-23-33.

The Chinese ideogram for 'trouble' depicts two women living under one roof. And the Chinese words for crisis and opportunity are the same.

Ralph Lauren's original name was Ralph Lif****z.

Lizzie Borden was acquitted.

Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every Dewey-decimal category.

Approximately sixty circus performers have been shot from cannons. At last report, thirty-one of these have been killed.

The Boeing 767 aircraft is a collection of 3.1 million parts from 800 different suppliers around the world: fuselage parts from Japan, center wing section from Southern California, flaps from Italy.

A man irate about his income tax paid Uncle Sam with a plaster of Paris check that weighed several pounds. He wasn't all that bright, because once the government cashed the check, it was returned to him and he had to keep it for five years for his records.

On the new hundred dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.

Parker Brothers prints about 50 billion dollars worth of Monopoly money in one year.

Calvin and Hobbes: Hobbes originally had pads on his hands and feet but Bill Waterson (the creator) found them too distracting and removed them.

It took Leo Tolstoy six years to write "War & Peace".

Charlie Brown's father was a barber.

Lucy and Linus (who where brother and sister) had another little brother named Rerun. (He sometimes played left-field on Charlie Brown's baseball team, [when he could find it!]).

In the name of art, Chris Burden arranged to be shot by a friend while another person photographed the event. He sold the series of pictures to an art dealer. He made $1750 on the deal, but his hospital bill was $84,000.

In Britain?s House of Commons, the government and opposition sides of the House are separated by two red lines. The distance between the lines is two swords? lengths, a reminder of just how seriously the Brits used to take their politics.

The surface area of an average-sized brick is 79 cm squared.

In the kingdom of Bhutan, all citizens officially become a year older on New Year's Day.

The diameter of the wire in a standard paper clip is 1 millimeter - or about 0.04 inch.

People generally say there are 365 days in a year. By a year, I mean this is the time period it takes the earth to travel around the sun: 365 days. Actually, however, it takes the Earth 365.25 days to make this trip. In other words, for every year we gain one-fourth of a day and every for years we gain an extra day. If nothing was done about this, our calendar would move backwards one full day every four years in relation to our seasons.

November 29 is National Sinky Day; a day to eat over one's sink and worship it.

Public typists work at typewriters charging about 14 cents per page. On a good day, a public typist earns about $3.50.

On average, there are 333 squares of toilet paper on a roll.

Halloween isn't an established holiday by law. It is traditional that Halloween is Oct. 31 no matter what day of the week it falls on. Halloween dates from 837 when Pope Gregory IV instituted All Saints or All Hallows Day on Nov. 1 to take the place of an earlier festival known as the Peace of the Martyrs. The day was set aside to honor all saints, known and unknown. Halloween then is a shortened form of All Hallows Eve - the evening before All Hallows Day. Certainly, you have a choice of celebrating it on Oct. 30, Saturday, if you wish. Many of the area parties will be held then rather than on Sunday. It's probably appropriate to say some people equate Halloween with the occult or Satanism and don't approve of it at all.

The numbers on opposite sides of a die always add up to 7.

In 1979, Namco released Pac-Man, the most popular arcade game of all time. Over 300,000 units were sold worldwide. More than 100,000 units are sold in the United States alone. Originally named Puck Man, the game was retitled after executives saw the potential for vandals to scratch out part of the letter P on the game's marquee, which might discourage parents from letting their children play. Pac-Man became the first video game to be popular with both males and females.

If you were born in Los Alamos, New Mexico during the Manhattan project (where they made the atomic bomb), your birth place is listed as a post office box in Albuquerque.

The St. Louis Gateway Arch had a projected death toll while it was being built. No one died.

The Hoover Dam was built to last 2,000 years. The concrete in it will not even be fully cured for another 500 years.

The "Calabash" pipe, most often associated with Sherlock Holmes, was not used by him until William Gillette (an American) portrayed Holmes on stage. Gillette needed a pipe he could keep in his mouth while he spoke his lines.

The Chinese national anthem is called "the march of volunteers."

"The Tale of Genji", a Japanese work from the early eleventh century, is considered by many scholars to be the world's first full novel. The novel was written by a woman: Murasaki Shikibu, or Lady Murasaki.

The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.

In the movie "Toy Story", the carpet designs in Sid's hallway is the same as the carpet designs in "The Shining."

At Disneyland they have hundreds of wild domesticated cats running around the park. They never come out during the day because there's too many people, but the reason they're there is to catch the mice. (I've seen them, too, around the shores of Tom Sawyer Island. They are pretty wild and raggy, but kinda cute )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    dude there is some weird stuff in there O.o, where are you finding all of this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by 2 Die FR

The Chinese national anthem is called "the march of volunteers."

This is why...

"This song was composed by Nieh Erh in 1932, one year after the Japanese invasion of Manchuria and was dedicated to the volunteers who rose to defend the nation long before Japan formally declared war on China. In 1934 Nieh Erh went to continue his musical studies in Japan, where he was murdered. He was 24 years old at the time of his death. His song was later adopted as the national anthem of the People's Republic of China. The lyrics are by Tian Han."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Simba '04
    dude there is some weird stuff in there O.o, where are you finding all of this?
    Oh, just random sites with interesting facts and so forth. You'd be amazed at what I find when I'm bored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    is right, and then some.
    I am SOOOOO bored!

But I do know a whole bunch of completely useless but fairly intriguing statistics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dude thats some good stats on the odds but thoes are only opinonized, but are sweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
    >> Odds of being killed by falling out of bed - 1 in 2 million.
    I love it ...
    haha my teacher is one of em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    >> The average person makes about 1,140 telephone calls each year.
    I know a certain pair of twins who make that many or more calls a year
    They call me everyday

>> In a century's time, Islam had converted 1/3 of the world.
    Now that is awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Completely Useless but Fairly Intriguing Statistics

>> The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it.
    I never want to hear that again! *pats symphony bar*

>> The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
    I know at least ten of them, including my bro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Four people played Darth Vader: David Prowse was his body, James Earl Jones did the voice, Sebastian Shaw was his face and a fourth person did the breathing.
    I think it was... Ben Burtt, who did the breathing? He did it my sticking a microphone into a scuba diving breathing.. thing, and breathing through it Or something like that. ^^;

EDIT: Oh, and it's five now. Hayden was in the suit in Episode III

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well all these kept me entertained for at least 10 minutes! I love random facts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's not true - there is a TV program here called Brainiac: Science Abuse. On that program they test all sorts of fancy science theories, and they demonstrated that a duck's quack does in fact echo ...
    That show is so funny. My boyfriend watches it. They are always blowing caravans up and stuff. On one they tested to see if Chinese Water Torture actually worked. The tester couldn't even finish the test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's not true - there is a TV program here called Brainiac: Science Abuse. On that program they test all sorts of fancy science theories, and they demonstrated that a duck's quack does in fact echo ...
    Lol, I remember this show called Mythbusters, they were doing the same experiment...