Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The last book you've read...?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Let's see...I have this problem of reading multiple books at once, so I would say either The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss or Tehanu by Ursula K. LeGuin....if you want to be technical I am currently reading the sequel to Name of the Wind which is called A Wise Man's Fear. Fun books, all. :3

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Twitter Instagram Facebook

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
    And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The last book I read was The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I really, really liked it.

Now I'm reading The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, also known as the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I'm only a chapter in, but I already love Percy as a character.

I'm also reading a small selection of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. I may need to get the complete collection someday though.

And lastly I'm reading Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind. It's book #2 in the Sword of Truth series, which the TV show Legend of the Seeker was based on. This book is massive so it's taking me quite a while to read it. But it's good, so I don't mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know how you people can read more than one book at once, I have to focus on one book at a time, otherwise I lose the feel of the story.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just finished Hunger Games. Read them all before but wanted to again but only just acquired the first book. I feel bad though because I was reading Shardik and got halfway through and was so determined to finish it, but I failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Winnie the Pooh Really! Because I know the book in my native language but this time I read the book in original english language. It was very nice. Before I read Space Odyssey 2001 in czech language and before Space Odyssey I read Eragon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Life of Pi. I've seen the film and thus knew the story, but it was such a good read The writing style was so cool and the story so captivating. I finished the book a few days ago and I still really miss reading it xD

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Every book I have read and which was filmed was better than movie. For some weird reason producers tends to change points in story which makes the whole story senseless. For example Eragon or Space Odyssey 2001 are filmed so badly you would ask yourself what the hell is happened in story or why characters acting so stupid. After this experience I have problem decide If I want to read book first or see movie if even see movie at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KanuTGL View Post
    Life of Pi. I've seen the film and thus knew the story, but it was such a good read The writing style was so cool and the story so captivating. I finished the book a few days ago and I still really miss reading it xD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KanuTGL View Post
    So glad you read it. I first read the book a couple of years ago, so I had no idea how they were even going to attempt a movie from it, but the movie turned out well. Glad you liked it though, there's so much background to Pi that you get from the book and it's really captivating to read.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah, indeed I might just have to re-read it sometime, when I get some time to spare =P

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just stormed through Catching Fire and Mockingjay... now I may have to go back to reading Shardik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never attempted to read Shardik. I know I tried the one human-based book of his, "Maya" or something it was, and never finished it. He wrote one about General Lee's horse Traveller, though, totally loved that one because I'm an American Civil War buff, it was the best of all worlds.

As for me, I have not been reading books because I'm really trying to work my way through a stack of 2 years worth of "American Archeology" magazines. I'm not really into it at the moment, but I'm so sick of shifting this pile around various places in the house and can't bear to pack them away un-read on (OCD?) principle, so.....slogging through them, and finding a zillion other things to do instead, too.
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cleargreenwater View Post
    I never attempted to read Shardik. I know I tried the one human-based book of his, "Maya" or something it was, and never finished it. He wrote one about General Lee's horse Traveller, though, totally loved that one because I'm an American Civil War buff, it was the best of all worlds.
    I loved Traveller so much. Have been meaning to re-read it for years, but need to buy it online first. A novel from an animal's perspective was probably the only way I was ever going to enjoy a war novel Also, I feel guilty because I didn't go back to Shardik, though I do have to read it all at some point, I suppose I'm just delaying the inevitable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am # Four

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stories Rabbits Tell, which is an informative book about all aspects of rabbit keeping and societal views etc. Also just finished reading Black Beauty. Had it on my bookshelf for years and years, but never read it till now. It was ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Frankie (magazine).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth. It's about a vampire in the president's service since the Civil War. It's really good. But why can't I read books that are not part of a series? I'm going to read the second book of the Beautiful Creatures series now.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tomorrow When The War Began - John Marsden

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Two books currently;

Stalin's Ghost by Martin Cruz Smith (I love the Arkady Renko novels...)
    5 Lovve Languages by Gary Chapman (studying...)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm currently reading Book 1 (Lone Wolf) of the "Wolves of the Beyond"-series by "The Legend of the Guardians"-author Kathryn Lasky.
    I've already read it a few years ago in English. That was way before I started reading the LotG-books and so many things seemed quite odd to me and didn't make sense at all. But now I'm reading it again (the German version) and this time I enjoy it quite much. Yes, it's still a bit strange at times and there are several flaws in the story, but apart from that Kathryn did a very nice job of describing young Faolans bounding to his mother Thunderheart.

For those of you who don't know the series, it's a spin-off from the LotG-series and deals with a wolf pup called Faolan who has been left by his pack to die. That's because he has a strangely-marked paw and it's the way of the wolves in the stories. He is then adopted by a grizzly bear called thunderheart. A very touching story indeed

"Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."
    ~ Brom, "Eragon".

Thank you for that nice Avatar, Atimon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Howl's moving castle by Diana Wynne Jones(for the second time).I like both the book and the Studio Ghibli adaptation equally,even though the book has a clearer plotline compared to the movie.

Currently reading Born Free by Joy Adamson.That wonderful book was rotting in my bookcase for almost two years...