Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimba the White Lion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first Kimba series was made up in 1965.
    There are several seasons of Kimba and the latest Movie (Jungle Emperor Leo) was made after the Lion King came out and if you look at it the beginning is very much like the Lion King. They just stole everything back But I did not like this specific movie much since it left much out what was in the series and you can easily get confused.

I saw Kimba long before Lion King and liked it much when I was a kid. I think Kimba is one of the reasons that I love Lions so much.

I also would like to see Bagi (which is also from Osamu Tezuka) in a dubbed version. The movie has a really great Story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think they just had smilar ideas is all or did it without meaning to. For example; in my fan fic.. *whispers* my main character has a history very similar to that of Darth Vader from Star Wars*.. and I hadn't meant to do that at all people, so things like that can happen And that's what I think happened here.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Ruska
    Oh just think what would happen if I posted this on an impartial forum. This is one of the things which irritate me in being a fan: you can't see the true facts.
    "Truth" is all in the eye of the beholder my friend.

But as for the original question...

No, I don't think TLK was a copy of Kimba, at least by my personal definition of the word "copy". There are enough similarities to lead me to believe that TLK was inspired by Kimba, but enough differences to lead me to believe that TLK is not a copy.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well, i just dunno oO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by RyansLion
    We'll get Mulder and Scully on it a.s.a.p.
    Exactly! I'm here...I wonder where that handsome hunk of flesh that is my partner is?

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Scully
    Exactly! I'm here...I wonder where that handsome hunk of flesh that is my partner is?
    He's on a date with my sister.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hehe I think that they they didn't really copy it outright, and that they were originally gona have it as a re-make as Kinba, but chnaged it when they naw how much hype it was getting....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well the Stampede Idea is stolen from the Jungle Book anyways

In the book Mowgli traps Shere Khan in a gorge and then he is overrun by some buffaloes.

So now, everyone who believes that Lion King isn't a rip off of Kimba is not allowed to rant in any way about "art theft" anymore, at least when it is about character markings, since, it is all coincidence, you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you get your hands on the Kimba series box set, there's an interview on it with an anime historian (who presents himself as a fairly impartial judge). His conclusion? Inspiration and/or tribute. In fact, so he says, Disney's B&tB has many many tributes to a French film adaptation of the same fairy tale, and no one cried bloody murder then.

I would also suggest taking much of the "evidence" found on the internet with a grain of salt, especially since it seems by and large to be the rabid Kimba fans who are dead-set on proclaiming TLK to be a rip-off who go about constructing sites, if not entirely dedicated to the controversy, then with a rant associated with it. That and I've noticed on more than one occasion that they don't get their TLK facts straight (the pride does not live in the jungle, contrary to some of the claims I've seen) or have a penchant for keying in on broadly generic concepts (OMG, Kimba and Simba both have dark ear markings...never mind that lions really do have dark ear markings). They also seem to neglect the idea of archetypes (the quest, for example) when casting their comparisons.

Anyway, per why there was never a lawsuit: Tezuka's estate decided against it. The similarities were determined to be a series of coincidences and nothing more. Thus, as far as the respective legal teams are concerned, this is a nonissue long since resolved.

Which just begs why it has such a long life on the internet. Well, the whole thing smacks of corporate cover-up, or downright conspiracy, made even more juicy by the fact that, for almost a decade, this supposed "copy" was the highest grossing animated film to date. But, anyway, at the end of the day, my guess is, there were a few intentional tributes -- a la the aforementioned "To be or not to be" scene in TLK -- but the crew couldn't acknowledge them due to the legal team stepping in and proclaiming, sweepingly and erroneously, that no one on TLK's production staff had ever so much as heard of Kimba, let alone come into contact with any related material. And that gave this whole thing lasting infamy. Let's hear it for the suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey Snowy Haven't seen you in a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nuka
    hey Snowy Haven't seen you in a while.
    Home for summer = slow computer + dial-up connection + need to share with family members = sporadic online time. Which explains where I've been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, okay =) some more *gives you DSL*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Still, it is funny how many people like to cry art theft and then people not even admit that Lion King at least was inspired by Kimba ;) And not only Kimba, also Hamlet and Jungle Book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    im tired of seeing this topic come up aswell. I do see the similarities between Kimba and TLK, but really, I dont think they copied it. Maybe they probably got some ideas from it, but if you watch the kimba series, its really a horrible show lol. the animation is horrible, but the story is competely idiotic. I mean, a vegetarian lion? please. You might as well say TLK copied Hamlet too! I'm sure Disney knew about Kimba at that time, and probably used it as inspiration for some of the characters, same with Hamlet, but TLk is all around a much stronger story. Why else would it be so much better remembered than Kimba?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I mean, a vegetarian lion? please.
    http://www.vegetarismus.ch/vegepet/tyke.htm

I think I will leave this thread now as people are arguing without propper background information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, now that's interesting O.o But Leopatra, you can't blame Jannali for not knowing that, I mean, I doubt 99% of people know that O.o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nuka: It's not just Jannali's Post but also other posts where you can notice that people never really bothered with the subject matter and I can't be bothered having a little kids discussion: one party just says yes and the other just no and I don't want to wait until one party alleges they will kill the others with their magical laser eye power, you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Muahahahahaha! Magical laser eye power ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [and the other just no and I don't want to wait until one party alleges they will kill the others with their magical laser eye power, you know. [/B][/QUOTE]

don't say that to someone who has that power