Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Religion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by pntbll248

People need to watch what they say. Ignorance leads to hate, sadness, and sometimes self-mutilation or suicide.
    True...and the thing is that everyone is ignorant...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    since i can find my 'Outsiders' book im going to have to remember this.........oh wait was it in 'To Kill a Mockingbird'?

well if my memory serves me right the quote went something like this....

"Sometimes a bible in the hand of one man, can be worse than a bottle of beer in another man's hand."

well it went something like that...

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My advice would be to look into translation of the bible and see that different words most likely do not represent what they're portrayed to be in most english translations.
    Kind of like the Samuel's golden hemorrhoids? To this day I remain unconvinced that that's what the original, untranslated text talks about...and if it does, apparently this god has a bizarre/cruel sense of humor.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, this topic really took off from the last time I saw it. My beliefs can be summed up in The Articles of Faith, written by Joseph Smith. Here they are:
    1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam?s transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon this the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul?We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

About what happens after death, I have been taught (and believe) that our spirits go to a spirit world to continue learning, until we are later reunited with our bodies in something called Ressurection. I can't find a better way to word what happens next, so I will copy what I found on lds.org
    After we are resurrected we will be judged and rewarded for the things we have done in this life.
    Jesus Christ taught His Apostles that in His Father?s house are ?many mansions? (John 14:2). Our loving Heavenly Father is anxious to reward all of His children according to their obedience to His commandments and their willingness to follow the Savior.
    Those who do these things and are worthy to return to the presence of God and Christ become ?heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ? (Romans 8:17) of all that the Father has. They will return to live with Heavenly Father and with their families in His eternal glory.
    Those who choose not to follow our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will receive a reward according to what they have done in this life, but they will not enjoy the glory of living in the presence of God.

I realize this is very long, but I hope you read it to understand what it is I believe (at least a little bit). If you have questions about my religion, please ask, or go to www.lds.org I am not trying to make anyone believe what I do, nor do I mean to offend anyone (I'm sorry if I did).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a lot of respect for the LDS church. They put their beliefs into practice very well. I saw it when I lived in Utah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just have one little comment to make on homosexuality since it seems to be a rather important topic in this conversation. I'm not gay, but I have friends that are.

Jesus' teachings all basically center on one thing, love for others. And while it may seem wrong to some people, people in same sex relationships genuinely love each other, there's no denying that. And if love is a sin, than I might as well just throw my bible out my window, cause in such a case I'm just waisting my time and am cleary worshipping the wrong diety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Ravoc
    Hmm.. how is the concept of Hell flawed, Xinithian? Expand on that for us perhaps?
    Well, because according to Christianity, it would make no sense for a person to go to hell just because he did not know who a man was and pray in his name. If Christ sacrificed himself for ALL of our sins, then wouldn't we ALL be forgiven, regardless if you believe that he was God? And if God planned everything, then there would be reason why somebody would sin (chain reactions) and if God controlled everything then He would purposely be sending people to hell.

Originally posted by StalkingWolf
    I do believe, without a doubt whatsoever in my mind, that the Bible is the WORD OF GOD!!!
    I don't expect to be able to agree with you about certain things, but thinking about it and considering it, is another thing!!!
    I am sorry Inuchance but if I was to vote on that, I would vote against it, because it goes completely against what God says in His Word, and I will not condone anything that God says is a sin!!! Once again, I am NOT forcing anything upon you, nor would I ever consider trying, but you have the choice to do what God wants, he gave everyone that opportunity, and he knew that several would reject and defy his Word (the Holy Bible) I would not want to see you in Hell, I would rather see you in Heaven with God, but that has to be a choice you make, no one else can make it for you!
    You have to respect the opinions and beliefs of others... and realize that your belief is just a BELIEF and theory, and there is no absolute truth. If you want to not do something because it's going against your religious beliefs, then that's fine... however, you should not control other peoples' lives. If gay marriage is a sin, then I believe that it should be between God and them, not you and them. Sorry if I didn't make too much sense, I can't focus too much due to a recent event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian
    Sorry if I didn't make too much sense, I can't focus too much due to a recent event.
    I hope everything's okay. I'm here for ya any time you need someone, xin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hope ya' feel better Xinithian!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    God doesn't control all things though, he gave us free will, Xinithian. Could he make us do something? Yes, but he wants to know if his children love him as he does them or if they ar elike Adam and Eve were in the garden.

As for the people that have never heard the gospel at all before, I honestly don't know the answer to that one Xinithian, perhaps someone else here does.

Christ did indeed die for all of us, but we must first accept him, it's a gift. The gift of salvation must be accepted in order to work. if someone bought you a big screen tv, and told you about you, but you said "Nah." then you're not going to be able to do anything with the tv since you don't have it.

And for him planning everything, personally I believe in changeable destiny. I believe that anything in the bible didn't have to be that way, and I believe that Revelation doesn't absolutely have to happen either. there are many that don?t believe this way, but I do.

And StalkingWolf, Xinithian is right. Everything on this thread is based on faith, or in the case of Atheism, the lack there of. Not a single one of us have absolute 100% proof of any of our beliefs. Remember, your duty to God isn?t to force others to believe, but to tell them the gospel and just help them if ever they need it, to be Christ-like. And try to lighten up on the !!! Points, otherwise I?ll have to start calling you Naline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian

You have to respect the opinions and beliefs of others... and realize that your belief is just a BELIEF and theory, and there is no absolute truth.
    What she believes is truth...it's just that truth, like reality, varies from person to person. But I agree, there's no absolute truth.

What's up, buddy? What's this recent event?

I like Mormon's....never met a kinder people than the people of Salt Lake City...and I like how family oriented the Mormon Church is.

Well, because according to Christianity, it would make no sense for a person to go to hell just because he did not know who a man was and pray in his name. If Christ sacrificed himself for ALL of our sins, then wouldn't we ALL be forgiven, regardless if you believe that he was God? And if God planned everything, then there would be reason why somebody would sin (chain reactions) and if God controlled everything then He would purposely be sending people to hell.
    I have wondered the same thing. In the Bible it says that man will be judged based on his conscience. So if you believed in no God, and truly believed that, then you cannot be condemned for it.

God gave us all free will. In my belief, when someone murders someone else, that deviates from God's plan....so it has a ripple effect to get the plan back on track. But since things like that happen all the time, we live in the world we do today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And for him planning everything, personally I believe in changeable destiny. I believe that anything in the bible didn't have to be that way, and I believe that Revelation doesn't absolutely have to happen either. there are many that don?t believe this way, but I do.
    That reminds me of something someone said. I forgot who it was, but he said that revelations don't have to happen, that if people pray and work hard for this world to be a better place, we can change the destiny of mankind. And on that note, a letter was written sometime ago to the Pope, in the letter world events were listed. The letter was written some time ago but it listed recent world events. And events that have yet to happen. That's all that would be made known of the letter, the Pope could only cry after reading the letter. I'll look into it more, because I'm not too sure on my facts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Roog, you double posted, you're going to Hell.

Just kidding, wanted to liven the mood a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    * pntbll*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Roog, you double posted, you're going to Hell.

Just kidding, wanted to liven the mood a bit.
    ...I'm on the Highway to Hell!!!!...The Highway to Hell!!!!....Come on everybody, Alice Cooper is great!.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by lion_roog
    ...I'm on the Highway to Hell!!!!...The Highway to Hell!!!!....Come on everybody, Alice Cooper is great!.....
    Highway to Hell isn't by Alice Cooper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Ngatuny
    Highway to Hell isn't by Alice Cooper.
    In my mind it is....along with every song ever made.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *smacks Roog with the stick for saying it was ALice Cooper, and smacks Ngatuny witht he stick just for the heck of it*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's about time we had some comic relief in here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *smacks Roog with the stick for saying it was ALice Cooper, and smacks Ngatuny witht he stick just for the heck of it*
    ....Have you heard "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and "Yesterday"?....Those are my two favorite Alice Cooper songs....didn't really care for his song "Cop Killer", though......