Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Religion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, but there are some things in the bible that couldn't have been related to thing son earth, the book of Revelation for instance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If anything, similarities between other philosophies/religions/mythologies/legends only serve to back up the veracity of the Bible.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Ravoc
    Yes, but there are some things in the bible that couldn't have been related to thing son earth, the book of Revelation for instance.
    Bah, I forgot to mention the effects of smoking pot/crack and/or dropping acid can have on the human mind in my previous post. (not that I've ever done any of those things, but I've seen interesting artistic results, and I consider the book of Revelations to be "written art")
    My friends and I used to joke that whoever wrote Revelations must have been tripping.

True, there are truly bizarre things in Revelations, but I still think that a human is capable of thinking those things up without divine help. If the human subconscious and transform a teakettle into a scorpion while dreaming, then who knows what other metaphors and mixing-bowl ideas people are capable of, even when they're awake and completely sober?

It really all boils down to which philosophy you feel like following.
    I?m just playing quasi-devil?s advocate.

Originally posted by Darkslash
    If anything, similarities between other philosophies/religions/mythologies/legends only serve to back up the veracity of the Bible.
    Perhaps. I didn't mean to say that by incorporating pagan stories into the Bible that it makes the Bible any more or less valid. I was merely using mythological legend assimilation to illustrate how one religion and/or mythology, can use another to create a similar, yet different, mythology for itself.

I'm actually happy that Christianity has assimilated so many things into itself, because in doing so, it preserves the traditions and legends so that future generations can go back and relearn the old ways in their original form.
    At least nowadays...
    Of course, Christianity isn't the only religion to do this. Take a look at the ancient Greeks and Romans...hell, the Romans assimilated more than just religion.
    (but this is not a history lesson)

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by StalkingWolf
    I am open-minded to hearing whatever people say, but let me ask you this, if the Bible is not God's Word, what is then? Since it is so-called not proven, nothing else has been proven to be God's Word, the Bible has always been considered as God's words, every since it was first written! Men have such finite minds that they wouldn't have been able to make a book such as the Bible without the help of an Almighty God! So, if you think about it, it is the only sensable thing to believe that it is God's words, and has been every since God had those forty men write it....it was "God-breathed" Again, I say I am open-minded to anything people say, I am simply stating my replies or belief, not theories, on the issues at present...
    The problem is that for your backing of opinions, you just use the Bible and expect everybody to take the Bible as the absolute truth. But to me and many others, the Bible is just a book and it takes more reasoning to convince somebody that something is immoral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Wicked
    Which explains why the Bible contains stories bearing striking resemblence to various mythological themes and legends that were long in place before Christinity was even a blip on the radar.
    See something that already exists. Interpret something that already exists. Assimilate and alter that which already exists to fit into own religion.

True, some Bible stories are closely related to Egyptian myths and Christian Holidays can relate to Pagan Holidays. But on the other hand there has been a couple Bible stories that have been proven as actual events by archeologists. Scientists even proved that the parting of the Red Sea, to my knowledge it was the Red Sea, can actually happen if things happen almost perfectly and all.

If the human subconscious and transform a teakettle into a scorpion while dreaming, then who knows what other metaphors and mixing-bowl ideas people are capable of, even when they're awake and completely sober?
    I believe God works through the subconscious mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's entirely possible that the Bible could've been written by a person/people with nothing better to do and probably more then the recommended amount of drugs in their system. The Principia Discordia is a good example of such a book.

Of course, the Principia Discordia is still a fun read, at around 80pgs (I think.. I read it back like, 4-5 years ago...). What other religious text includes an unbreakable cypher, 5 commandments that can only be read by viewing it upsidedown, and drawings that could've been drawn by Escher?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think my sister is right there is only one righteous book and only one God. that is what the bible says. And God did choose 40 men to write the Bible and I know that God told the men what to say.And the book does not have to be funto read to be a good book.And the Bible also has TEN COMMANDMENTS that you dont have to read upside down, and besides isnt it a lot easier to read it the reagular way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep,they are right I have read my bible and I have also read a lot of verses in the Bible that say to honour your mother and your father. Even in the ten commandments it says to honour your parents.Like stalking wolf said if your parents said dont take a cookie and you still did, that is a sin. Even if it is a tiny little sin it is considered just as bad as a big sin to God.We may think that it is just a little sin but it is the same as a big sin nomader what type of sin it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [i]We may think that it is just a little sin but it is the same as a big sin nomader what type of sin it is. [/B]
    that's almost just what I said earlier...

a sin is a sin no matter what sin the sin is..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indeed. Our understanding is not the same as God's understanding. Every sin is the same, just as every person is the same, in God's eyes.

And please don't make jokes about Christianity, I don't see anyone doing such things to your beliefs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't believe that much really, that a sin is a sin. It's just my belief of course, but if God is so all knowing then God has to take things in context.

I just cannot except that God sets the same punishment for someone who steals food to feed his family and to the guy who killed his best friend for drug money.

I just think people try to take the bible way to much word for word. It's supposed to be a guide to life, not an endless list of nearly impossible standards promoting doom and gloom for those that don't follow them to a T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hence the whole reason for the atonment Kintaru. It was through this act that we are able to repent and be forgiven of our sins. As for if the Bible is truly the word of God, I guess it can't really be proven. But for those who are really wondering, I will refer you to James (wish I could remember the chapter and verse), it basically says if any man lacks wisdom, let him ask of God. I can assure you, that if you pray earnestly, from the bottom of your heart, and truly believe that you will get an answer, you will recieve one in time. Just remember, it may not always be an answer you want to hear. I can't tell you what to do with your life, I can only tell you what I believe and hope that you at least think about it.
    Anyway, I believe the Bible to be correct as long as it is translated correctly, though I can not know of that for sure. The book I know is absolutely true is the Book of Mormon. This book was translated straight from the gold plates by a young (14 I believe) Joseph Smith, a boy with only a grade school education. If you have ever seen at least a verse of this book, you would know that it could never have been made up by Joseph. That's just what I believe, I am not asking you to share this same belief with me.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Ravoc

And please don't make jokes about Christianity, I don't see anyone doing such things to your beliefs.
    It could be worse. At least Christianity hasn't been picked apart, cheapened, and formed into various online fads...as my beliefs have been.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Rafiki '03
    I think my sister is right there is only one righteous book and only one God. that is what the bible says. And God did choose 40 men to write the Bible and I know that God told the men what to say.
    The bible says this... but how are you going to persuade people that don't think that the Bible is absolute truth? You can't convince a non-christian that your belief is right and justified, just because a book says so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Speakin' of brains, I heard they taste like Jello-O and wobbles like tofu. Anyone ever tried any?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian
    The bible says this... but how are you going to persuade people that don't think that the Bible is absolute truth? You can't convince a non-christian that your belief is right and justified, just because a book says so...
    Quite true. That's why I don't believe in proselytizing ("join us or you're going to hell!"). Let people pick their own fate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's just the thing Xinithian, it's not supposed to be proven. It's a test of faith.

And Wicked, I am sorry that that is happening to your beliefs. But don't accuse me of doing such, or anyone on this thread, of that, for no one has done so thus far that I know of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think she meant that her beliefs have been picked apart, cheapened, and formed into fads by society, the media, and other religions, not by anyone here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Principia Discordia wasn't meant to be taken seriously (I think), and their 5th commandment is basically "Don't believe anything you read" (which then includes the Principia Discordia itself).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm.. if you don't believe anything you read, because the book tells you to, then should you not believe it?

Don't think ont hat too much, your head is liable to implode