Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: The Stormlight Archive series/ Brandon Sanderson books

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Stormlight Archive series/ Brandon Sanderson books

Anyone familiar with Brandon Sanderson books? He is one of my favourite epic fantasy writers. He is very prolific and has created his own universe, the Cosmere, with multiple book series. His world building and magic systems are quite impressive. I've read most of his books and really loved each one of them.

The Stormlight Archive series is my favourite and the fourth book was just released a few days ago. My copy will be arriving tomorrow and I really can't wait to start reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes! I started listening to the audiobook version of stormlight archive once the pandemic hit, going onlong walks. I went through all the 3.5 books pretty quickly and am eager to have just started this fourth one. It's rare that I get into a book series this long, so Im glad to say Im still enjoying it so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    I started listening to the audiobook version of stormlight archive once the pandemic hit, going onlong walks.
    Ooooh! That does sound like a very nice way to experience the books.

Which versions are you listening to btw? The Macmillan or the GraphicAudio? Because the GraphicAudio versions sound absolutely epic! I mean the books are already epic by themselves, but GraphicAudio took it on a whole new level!

Also be mentally prepared for a big twist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    gonna pretend I didn't read that last part

I have the Macmillan series, wasn't even aware there was another production, thanks for the tip! I just now went to check out a sample of the reading... And I'm probably biased already at this point, but while I totally appreciate the enormous effort they've gone through with the production value, music etc., I have a feeling it might be a bit too much for me with something constantly in the background . The sample clip was from a battle scene though, so I imagine it's more down-stated in other parts..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, their motto is "A movie in your mind".

But yeah, it might take some getting used to, especially if you have a more simple version to compare it to. Not all parts are as noisy as a battle sequence, but there is background noise in many. All in all, it's a very different experience I suppose.

Btw, have you read/ listened to any of the other Cosmere books?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, this series was the first I've read of anything by Sanderson, and I haven't yet had time to dabble in the other Cosmere tales. I'll probably pick them up at some point while waiting for Volume 5 to come out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, they are all sort of connected.

On the Stormlight archive books you encounter a few important characters from other stories (Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker and White sand) and there's no way of recognizing them unless you are familiar with the rest of the books. I'd incidently gone through all the previous Cosmere books before I started the Stormlight Archive, but I was quite surprised when I found out.