Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Why is Zazu blue?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Why is Zazu blue?

Ok, a little bit of context
    The Mexican TLKoB Facebook site recently gave out a collection of their plushies to whoever answered a series of questions, like "How many giraffes are there in the IJCWTBK segment?"

Sadly I saw it late and didn't get to participate >.< but Jead did, and one of the questions was "Why is Zazu blue?"
    I've never wondered it myself Is there a real answer to this? Like, has it ever been mentioned somewhere by the designers? Or was it just to mess with our heads?

What would you answer to this?

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Since they used it for a competition question, there must be an answer.
    But I don't know it.

Didn't they put up the answers after the contest?

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm they haven't put the answer yet, but I read in the comments section one who said it may be because Zazu was originally going to be a Common Kingfisher, which is blue, then it was changed to a hornbill but kept the color.

I wonder if it's true

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    They mentioned it in the Making Of special. It was the lead animator that was saying something about it. I don't remember exactly what she said, it's been a long time since I've watched it.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Which making of? haha :/ I got 3 or 4 different ones (VHS, TV, laserdisc, DVD)

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I....I never thought about Zazu being blue

I would guess maybe it's something about it being difficult to animate a mostly black character? But IDK, I never once thought about how weird it is that he's blue.

(I'm now picturing a VantaBlack Zazu lol. Simba & Nala thought he was a drag, imagine if he sucked more than just the fun out of a situation and ate light itself. Stealth Zazu!)
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cleargreenwater View Post
    (I'm now picturing a VantaBlack Zazu lol. Simba & Nala thought he was a drag, imagine if he sucked more than just the fun out of a situation and ate light itself. Stealth Zazu!)
    OMG Someone should draw a comic of this.

Anyway, colours of bird's feathers aren't always made the same way. Read this:
    https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/ho...rful-feathers/
    Non-Iridescent Feathers

Not all structural colors are iridescent. Tiny air pockets in the barbs of feathers can scatter incoming light, resulting in a specific, non-iridescent color. Blue colors in feathers are almost always produced in this manner. Examples include the blue feathers of bluebirds, Indigo Buntings, Blue Jays and Steller’s Jays.
    I wonder if it's true to Zazu, who (in theory) is a red-billed hornbill. The problem is: red-billed hornbills aren't blue. Trumpeter Hornbill can be blue-ish...y but more in an iridescent way, I think. Is Zazu a cross-breed?
    Nah, I'm just overthinking it now. I guess it was just and only a design choice. A blue bird looks fancier. And while at it... isn't Zazu royal-blue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also anyone notice that Broadway Zazu is a white bird?