Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Chronicles of the Pride Lands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb The Chronicles of the Pride Lands

Has anyone here read "The Chronicles of the Pride Lands?"
    What do you think?
    In my opinion, I think it is an incredible fanfiction achievement. I think they are good enough to be published books. I enjoyed every word of the stories. There are many different stories, each one connecting to the last. They are very in depth, detailed, and unique. I know they will be remebered TLK classics!
    I read the stories last year and recently uncovered them again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's an excellent piece of work. I only skimmed it considering the fact that is outrageously long. but it absolutely fantastic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ive herd alot about them, but im too lazy to read em ><

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some of the best Fanfics around ever IMO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    CHRONICLES OF THE PRIDELANDS ROCKS!!!!!! As for the authors....

*wonders why John Burkitt hasn't replied to any of my emails yet....*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: The Chronicles of the Pride Lands

Originally posted by Roku
    Has anyone here read "The Chronicles of the Pride Lands?"
    What do you think?
    In my opinion, I think it is an incredible fanfiction achievement. I think they are good enough to be published books. I enjoyed every word of the stories. There are many different stories, each one connecting to the last. They are very in depth, detailed, and unique. I know they will be remebered TLK classics!
    I read the stories last year and recently uncovered them again.
    Took the words right out of my... keyboard. I agree, they are of publishing quality. I especially liked how each "book" told the story from a completely different background. The authors do a good job of ensuring that there are few or no "flat" characters.

I liked how they remained within the Lion King scope and scale; i.e. nothing was trivialized, discarded.... everything from LK was expanded upon and further defined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh man... definatly something I'm gonna have to read ON the computer. I tried printing the first one out but the preview said it was like 100 pages O_o

Now im all excited to read em through x3 *rushes through media studies paper to make time*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Chronicles of the Pride Lands (CotPL) was what really drew me into the fan community of TLK. I had always appreciated the movie before reading any fanfiction, but once I got engrossed in John Burkitt and Dave Morris's story I realized the potential of the TLK universe and came to appreciate it much more. After reading all 8 stories in the Gentle Kingdom / CotPL series, I went on to read the other works by Morris or Burkitt, and from there have branched out into works from other great authors.

The Tales of Tanabi is another classic fanfiction.

John Burkitt is still an active member of the TLK mailing list at zazu.lionking.org BTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *cough*

*cough*

I tried reading CotPL. Once. Between excessive length, non-compelling characters, and the lamest scarring story I've ever read, I haven't tried since. The Appenecies were more interesting then the story.

Tales from the Outlands is the story that got me writing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure who wrote it, but besides reading CoTP I have also enjoyed The Enigma, which took TLK and made the ending completely different, focusing on how Simba found out he couldn't have POSSIBLY been responsible for you-know-what and how he puts the pieces together, like a mystery novel. Between the ending in the movie and the revised ending of this fanfic...I like both equally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's funny how a fanfic had less plotholes than the movie it was based off of...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it was okay, i didnt like how religious it was. IMO it was TOO far indepth and alot of the stuff in there was superfluous (sp?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    CoTP characters said 'oh gods' way too much. That made me annoyed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think John and Dave tried to add a religious dimension to CotPL since TLK had virtually none, aside from a few subtleties. I agree they may have over-done it just a bit in certain parts, but it does add depth to the story and another anthropomorphic dimension.

The characters in CotPL referring to "the gods" should more likely be referring to the good spirits or Nisei, since Aiheu is the supreme leonine god. Same goes for hyenes with Roh'kash and mandrills with Pishtim. They're monotheistic toward an all-powerful god but also believe in lesser deities. They have notions of an internal soul and fallen spirits similar to human religions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Heeyyyy, someone else here knows Enigma! That's my very favourite fanfic and I really recommend reading it. You're cool, 2 Die FR.

I enjoyed reading CotPL a lot, and I'd say it's my second favourite fanfic (and the very first one I read). I cried in many parts and I had a good time. It has its weaknesses, though, like the overusage of religious themes that TLK never had, and how the bad guys always appear to be controlled by some evil force and nothing they did was their own fault. Many TLK chars were acting very out-of-character in CotPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've actually only read the first few paragraphs of CotPL, while waiting at the hospital... I've really been meaning to finish a book lately, I suppose I may as well read these some day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Timali
    Heeyyyy, someone else here knows Enigma! That's my very favourite fanfic and I really recommend reading it. You're cool, 2 Die FR.
    Aww thanks, I'm blushing!
    After reading CotPL and Enigma I felt 'inspired,' or whatever, to create my own story, and I am actually in the process of writing my own fanfic 'Makatu's Destiny' at the moment. A looong moment actually...I'm taking my time with it. Don't want to be rushed. Actually at one time i had an incomplete first draft up here at lea...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do believe I read it before but can't really remember it per se.

There are very few fanfics I actually like out there (I hate my own too LOL) because they tend to stray off the story and such and totally change the characters around, I mean Rafiki getting it on with a lioness is totally wrong (one of the fanfics out there has that).

However I did like the one of the Taka ones out there and a few others, but most of them were pretty much blah.

I, myself have a fanfic that's in the works (mainly about my character Thandi, but TLK characters DO make an appearance) in which I'm guilty of changing a few of the characters (I made Rafiki evil in the first one) but sometimes, it's all about style. Everyone has their own style, and some people tend to depict the characters better than the movie itself.

In case you're wondering, my first fanfic WAS put online (and still is) and you can find it under the name (dear god, forgive me for the stupid title) The Courtship of Timon and Pumbaa. It's really horrid but then again I was 14-15 when I originally wrote it.

Meh.

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    haven't read those. I should, but I have never been too good read stories, specially not from my comp screen.
    but I might someday. sinse I have heard that those are good.

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've read both the old and the updated version (the one that had Zira in it)

They cut way down on the 'oh gods' stuff.... but still have one thing that annoys me with it... they have Rafiki fall in love with a lioness.... now that is just.... ick.... Rafiki acks WAY out-of-character... why does everyone assume Rafiki's so old anyways?.....

also, it's obvious which character they made.... it's that way a lot with any fan-fic that is supposed to follow Simba or any cannon charater... if they put one of their own in it, then guess where the story will lean towards?... in some cases it's good to have a seperate plot.... but they focus too greatly on their own, like that one was so improtant to the story when they're not... now, if they were making a story about their charater then it's ok... but to make one about TLK and then focus so much on their character... makes it a bit tacky... now, don't get me wrong, adding a seperate storyline is is a great idea, but they focus too much on it...