Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Volunteering in South Africa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Volunteering in South Africa

Hey guys!

Is somebody here who have experienced this new kind of "tourism/volunteering"? Or somebody who would love to experience that in near future? :-)

http://volunteersa.com/projects/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've never participated in such a programe, but I've seen quite some documentaries (sp?) on TV about them. The concept is rather interesting and if I was younger and a little more outgoing, I'd have probably tried it. But back then I didn't know about these opportunities... However, it sounds like a great idea to spend some time on an animal shelter and help there. I know someone who will be in SA in a few months. He's from Switzerland and he is going to volunteer in the Lion Park, Lanseria, with some other Lion King Fans.

PS: It's great to know that the website you posted has zero tolerance towards canned hunting!

"Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."
    ~ Brom, "Eragon".

Thank you for that nice Avatar, Atimon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm, is that someone Tambako? :-) I think this programme is for everybody ... it's kind of tourism. It cost almost $1900 for two weeks. Which is about a half price of full price as guest but we are talking about Africa. Tourism is expensive but living there is super cheap. So this is, probably, just another way to profit. But it is ok. It's like spend money for charity and being part of it for a while. I think everybody can do it. Even those who have kids. Only difference is that you will spare there only two weeks or so. $1900 for two weeks stay is not really cheap anyway. But you'll get your nice meals, laundry, electricity and WiFi.

There are real volunteer opportunities in Africa but those are probably in different comfort and much more dangerous.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tamby is one of the members, yes. I know him, too.
    But I was refering to another fan from Switzerland. A whole group of them will go there in August, which is a great thing. I know that Tambako has been there before and I think he really enjoyed being there. So I'm curious what they'll say when they come back. And of course I'd love to see their pictures!
    I know that travelling to Africa can be quite expensive. I almost went to Namibia with my husband and a friends of mine a few years ago, but then I got pregant and so I didn't want travel that far... but maybe one day I'll be able to visit Africa, too.

~ Brom, "Eragon".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hehe It's a small world after all! How it was in Namibia? I have plan visit Namibia next year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was about to try the volunteering program of the Harnas Wildlife Foundation. The farm is located in Namibia, but in order to really do something you need to stay at least a couple of month and for a first try this was to long for me. If you just want to do a safari kind of holiday, it's better for starters to do a trip to Kruger national park or Etosha when you go to Namibia. If you like it, survive all the required immunization steps and feel comfortable in Africa you can still do a long-term stay.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I didn't go, but in the end my husband and another friend (s-tlk... haha) did while I stayed at home with my daughter

But he deserved it for being such a great dad *gg* They were so impressed... it must have been really beautiful. Oh but they didn't volunteer. But neither did they go on a "usual tourist safari tour", if you know what I mean.

My husband arranged things like car, lodge, camping site etc. with a little help from a local partner. So they didn't depend on other tourists which was a good thing. All in all he'd go there again anytime

~ Brom, "Eragon".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    All the experience that you will have in those volutering programs, Worth all the effprts you will have to go there.

As s-tlk said, spending a month out of home seem too much for me (also note that you will not earn money in that period either), also you need to have a great adventurer spirit and elt away some good things from the modern life... that is not for everyone.

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow, this is cool! I would love to experience this for at least a week in 2016 and think I'll make the plans pretty soon here. Will have to decide between 1 or 2 weeks.