Chapter 6 – Secrets
Nabii awoke to a group of curious faces peering and whispering around her. She opened her eyes further and realised she was back at Pride Rock. At first she was confused and then she remembered what had happened earlier. She felt guilty at not telling the Pride beforehand, but she had hoped she would never have to deal with it again.
“Nabii. How could you?”
Nabii turned towards Chimalsi who looked hurt. Her eyes began to water.
“Chimalsi, I’m really sorry. I didn’t think it would ever happen again.”
“What happened back there Nabii?” Asked Kovu.
Nabii gulped. “I gave a prophecy.”
“I knew it!” Came a strong voice. Wema pushed herself to the front. “The hyenas said almost exactly the same thing.”
“The hyenas?” Kovu questioned. “The ones who attacked you?”
“Yes. They questioned me on the prophecy and then tried to take me back with them. I refused and fought them.”
“Wema, did the chief have a crisscross scar over her eye?” Asked Nabii.
Wema thought for a moment before nodding. Nabii closed her eyes.
“Nabii, tell us your story please. No lies.” Whispered Chimalsi.
Nabii nodded again, took a deep breath, then began her story.
“I was brought up in the savannah by a clan of hyenas. They had found me as a cub and the chief was about to kill me when the wise old hyena stopped her. She told the leader that I was to be the greatest prophetess to be born for a thousand years.
The clan leader decided to raise me as her own, teaching me the way of the hyenas, but also keeping me updated of the ways of the lions.
I knew I was different, but I didn’t care. I loved my adopted family.
One night, the leader came in to see me sat dead upright in the middle of the cave, just like you saw tonight. She said I didn’t pay any attention, but started speaking in a soft voice. I told her ‘Find the place where the Kings lie dead. Lay me on their bodies. Let me seek their wisdom.’ I repeated it once more and then I collapsed.
It was the following morning when the chief hyena told me about my prophecy. I was really scared because I couldn’t remember a single thing about it, but I knew it had to be carried out. I remembered a story from one the hyenas had told me about the lion Kings that rule in a distant land. I knew they spoke of wisdom and life and I told her to take me there.
We travelled for many days and nights, but soon we arrived. The chief hyena knew of the place where the Kings were laid when they were dead and we travelled there. I went and sat on the grass which was bright green and full of life, something that I had never seen in all my life.
That night, I told the hyenas to leave me alone. All except the clan leader who promised to stay with me.
I sat on the grass and felt the power of the Kings reach me through the ground and it made me feel warm. I let them embrace my mind and I opened it to the stars. I felt connected in the Circle of Life like a key between the living and the dead. I then spoke a prophecy.
I said ‘A cub will be born a great ruler, but needs advice. A cub will be born a loving mate, but needs their friends for support. A cub will be born a storyteller, but needs to overcome illness to survive. A cub will be born a great hunter, but needs to have purpose.’
I didn’t have any idea what I was saying, but the clan leader remembered every word.
The following morning, the clan leader sent spies to Pride Rock and they came back and told me every word I said was true.
That was the present, but I wanted to know the future. I went back to the Kings by myself that night. As I felt the power of the Kings I asked them with my mind if they would help me remember what I said. I felt a slight tug in my heart and mind which told me they agreed. Then, I heard the words that flowed from my mouth. They were the same words you heard tonight.
I guess the chief hyena was watching me because she wouldn’t have known about the prophecy otherwise. I was scared and I decided to leave the hyenas. I told them that the Kings would tell me if they needed me.
I lived on my own from then on, scared of my prophecies and what the future held. I had a tough time as a rogue with plenty of males trying to claim me as their mate, but I didn’t love any of them.
One night, I decided that I needed someone who would rather die than be loveless, which was exactly how I felt at that moment. If you’re wondering, it was the same night Ajali found me. The rest you know.”
Nabii was in tears by the end, as was Chimalsi who felt sorry for his mate.
“Has any of your prophecy come true yet?” Asked a voice.
Nabii nodded. “This was my secret, however, I clearly said ‘secrets’. That means they’ll be more.”
Everyone glanced nervously at each other as if someone would burst out with some terrible secret.
“Excuse me.”
All heads turned towards a light brown lioness with big blue eyes.
“Is this the home of Kopa?”
Then the heads turned questioningly towards Kopa who had his mouth hanging wide open.
“Siri?”
So Nabii wasn’t the only one with secrets. There was chaos at Pride Rock with everyone speaking at once. Vitani had managed to push herself to the front and was viciously questioning Siri whilst Kovu and Kiara tried to quieten everyone down. When there was silence, Siri spoke again.
“I don’t understand why you’re not pleased to see me.”
“And why would we be pleased to see you?” Snarled Vitani.
“Because…” whispered Kopa. “She’s my daughter.”