Chapter 4 – Tears and Rejoicing
The ceremony was held a month later. The couples were greeted by the animals and roared in happiness. The scene was very joyous, apart from Wema would stayed in the background, crying silently. She was happy for her brother and her friends and the fact her limp was gone, but she wanted Kabili.
Wema ran down the side of Pride Rock and into Vitani.
“Where are you headed Wema? To see my son?”
Wema nodded and more tears fell from her face.
“Come here, my dear.”
Wema went back up to Vitani and into a big, supportive hug.
“Do you know what I see when I see you?” Vitani asked. “I see myself, a brilliant hunter and also someone who needs their mate. I was pining for Kopa on the day of your parent’s joining ceremony and he came back to me. Perhaps Kabili will come back to you.”
And with that, Vitani got up and left. Wema felt more hopeful with Vitani’s story and ran all the way to Kabili’s cave.
He was asleep when she entered, but she went and lay down next to him, taking in his scent. Then he woke up, only to have another seizure. Wema was glad she was with him to lick his fur and stroke his mane, but then he made a motion as if he was going to speak to her. Wema put her ear next to his mouth and she heard him say that he would rather die than endure this torture.
Wema cried out loud and fled from the cave, running back up to Pride Rock where she lay in a dark corner and cried in mourning as if Kabili had actually died. Kiara came in a comforted her with words of love, stroking her fur and licking her tears away as if Wema was a little cub again. She remained in her mother’s arms all night.
A few days later, Wema plucked up the courage to go and see Kabili again. She brought a flower like the one she had found all those months ago when Kabili first fell ill.
When she reached the cave she saw Kabili painting on the wall. It was a beautiful picture of flowers and stones in the shape of a heart. Wema entered the cave and walked over to Kabili and stuck the flower in his mane.
“I love you Kabili and I’m sorry for deserting you the other day.”
Kabili smelt the flower in his mane.
“I understand Wema. I scared you and that was no way for a mate to behave.”
“Mate?”
“Yes. You’re my mate aren’t you?”
Wema nodded, choking back on tears. Kabili smiled a dazzling smiled and licked her.
“I haven’t had a seizure since the day you left me. My nose doesn’t run constantly and my eyes have stopped watering. I also feel like I can eat again!”
Wema smiled. “You’re getting better!”
The couple laughed and hugged and licked each other, tears streaming down their faces.
“I’d better get your parents!” Wema said softly.
“Okay, I need a bit of rest anyway. I’m not quite better yet!”
Wema gave Kabili one final lick and ran up to Pride Rock. She found Vitani and Kopa and told them the news. Smiles lit up their faces and they ran back down to the cave with Wema to see their son. Kabili hugged and licked his parents and thanked them for everything they’d done for him. Kopa admired the wall and whispered something in Kabili’s ear which made his eyes sparkle and smile grow. He nodded and nuzzled his father.
Everyone else came to visit later on in the day. Most of them gasped at the decorated cave and would nuzzle him in a friendly, affectionate way saying they were glad he was better. He assured everyone that the tick in his eye and the thickened skin on his nose and paws were just an aftereffect and weren’t contagious. He also informed everyone that he and Wema were to become mates and that he would be the Pride’s storyteller.
A few days later, Kabili travelled from his cave to Pride Rock. Everyone was standing up the rock and as he walked past everyone, he thanked them for the support, the food and the protection. However, certain individuals he gave a longer thanks.
When he passed Rafiki, the old baboon who was dying himself, he thanked him for the vitamins to keep his body healthy. Next came Simba and Nala. He thanked them for the news they gave him of the Pridelands. Then it was Chimalsi and Nabii and he thanked them for the laughter they brought, as Nabii told some amazing jokes that made him choke. Then came Kiara and Kovu and he thanked them for the comfort and support they gave him through his traumatic seizures. Then his female family members, Vitani and Dafina, with Ajali, and he thanked them for the food fresh from a kill and the words of love they gave him. Finally, at the peak of Pride Rock were the two people who had helped see him through the most. Kopa and Wema.
Kabili thanked Kopa for all the stories he told. He told Kopa that they gave him joy and warmth. Then he faced Wema.
Kabili had seen Wema turn from a lovely young cub into a gorgeous lioness. He thanked her for her visits where she would speak of love and hope and happiness.
Then Rafiki joined them at the top of Pride Rock and completed the joining ceremony. Wema stood next to Kabili, her heart finally healed again and roared.