Chapter 9 – The Beginning
About a year later.
The cubs had grown up quickly and had soon become the best of friends. Halima, Sakina and Amani would often make a bunch of giggly girls and talk about the boys whilst Jabari, Zuberi and Bakari would play fight and try to sneak up and pounce on the girls.
Sometime in the past year, both Kiara and Kopa had passed on, which meant there were only two generations on Pride Rock.
Nabii had grown wise and had forgotten almost entirely about her prophecy. Chimalsi had grown into a fair leader and his Major-domo Busara was faithful and helpful in times of crisis. Dafina spent many hours cub with Kabili whilst Chimalsi was patrolling the borders and Ajali, Siri and Wema went hunting. Kabili liked to take the cubs to his story cave and settle them down by telling them a story. They all had their favourites! Jabari liked the one where Simba was slurping snails with Timon. Simba and Timon seemed like the far past now, seeing as Timon and Pumbaa left before Chimalsi was actually born.
The Pride was content with no major problems for ages, but that was about to change.
Chimalsi and Nabii had decided that they weren’t going to discuss which of their cubs were going to be the future King. Chimalsi hoped one would go off to another Pride and live there, having his own kingdom whilst the others joined together. Nabii hated the idea of not seeing one of her sons so proposed that all three of them would form a coalition and rule the Pridelands together.
The truth was, they were worried about what the future held.
One day, the cubs were talking together when Sakina brought up the topic of Kings.
“So, which one of you is going to be King?” She asked the male cubs.
“I am .” They all answered at the same time, then looked at each other questioningly.
“I thought I would be King because I was born first.” Answered Zuberi.
“I thought I would be King because I’m the strongest.” Answered Jabari.
Bakari didn’t answer at all. He just shook his head as his eyes filled with tears. He had no claim to the throne that he could think of. Amani saw that Bakari was upset so went over and nuzzled him, giving him no verbal support.
“Hang on Sakina! Who says it had to be one of them! If they die, the throne goes to the girls!” Shouted Halima.
Then everyone started talking at once, the girls arguing with the boys and the boys arguing with each other. Amani saw that they were distracted and she and Bakari crept away. They didn’t stop walking until they had reached the story cave, where they sat down together.
“Bakari, are you ever scared of the future?” Amani asked.
He nodded and stared around the cave.
“I’ve heard my mother and father talking about a prophecy. It sounds scary.”
Amani put her paw on his and squeezed.
“My father was scared once. He was really ill in this cave once and that’s why he painted pictures, to make himself feel better. He was scared because he thought he might die, but he was also looking forward to the future.”
She pointed to a faded picture of a family of lions.
“This is meant to be my family. My father drew it when he was a young adult, dreaming of the future he might have with my mother. He didn’t seem scared, so why am I?”
“We’re all scared, Amani. The only thing that will help to get us through is the support of others. I will be here for you, just as I know you will be here for me.”
The two cubs didn’t speak for the rest of the afternoon. They just sat there, staring at the drawings and wishing they both had the bravery of Kabili.
When they joined the other cubs, they noticed they were still fuming from their argument. Jabari had managed to give Zuberi a nasty scar on his muzzle and he was sitting alone, glaring at the others. Halima and Sakina were sat with Jabari in awe of his bravery. Amani ran over to Zuberi and started licking his wound. Bakari felt a pang of jealousy as he saw Zuberi staring into Amani’s eyes as she helped him.
“What happened?” Bakari asked.
“Jabari gave Zuberi a scar! He’s so brave!” Said Halima.
“And now, Zuberi had sworn revenge!” Said Sakina. “That’s so stupid! He can’t beat Jabari!”
Then Zuberi started growling and Jabari joined in. The brothers glared at each other, wishing they could have another fight. Jabari started to walk towards Zuberi again when suddenly, the cubs froze as they heard a roar.
Chimalsi had entered the scene and was furious with what he saw.
“Jabari, Zuberi, come with me.”
The two cubs dropped their heads in shame and walked slowly after their father. The rest of the cubs were soon taken away by their parents who were shocked something like that happened.
But it was only the beginning.