Chapter 3 - Love
Up on Pride Rock, Kovu had heard the roars of his daughter and called Kiara to come and look for her. They found her not far from Pride Rock, lying on the floor with nasty bites and scratches on her. They gently picked her up and carried her to Pride Rock where Kiara went about licking her wounds. Soon, her eyes began to open and she began to stand up.
“Wema, what happened?” Asked Kovu.
She told them about the hyena attack, (she gathered the hyenas had run off with the gazelle), but didn’t tell them about the prophecy. It scared her too much and wished it wouldn’t come true.
Kovu relayed the information to Simba who then went about searching for these hyenas, but they had left without a trace.
The next day, Wema felt strong enough to walk down to Kabili’s cave. She felt her muscles begin to work properly again, however she had developed a limp. She hated her limp as it stopped her from hunting which she loved to do. She apologised to Kabili for not bringing food and told him about the hyena attack. She didn’t even tell him about the prophecy. When her story was done, she held Kabili’s paw and whispered comforting words into his ear as he had another seizure. They were becoming more common now, as was the constant running of his nose and eyes, breathlessness, dribbling, vomiting and diarrhoea, but Wema cleaned him up in the river and washed the cave clean. She began to admire all the wonderful drawings he made. She noticed Mufasa with Simba looking at the stars, Mohatu at the waterhole, Kopa finding Vitani and Scar with the hyenas. However, there was a new drawing she noticed, right at the back of the cave. It showed a light cream lion with a brown mane and blue eyes with a dark brown lioness with green eyes and in her paws was a light brown cub with crystal blue eyes. Seeing that drawing made her cry and turn to see Kabili lying there, gazing at her.
He was almost an adult now, with a thin mane covering his neck and his eyes. He was handsome.
“Like it?” He whispered. They were the first words he’d uttered in about a month and Wema’s heart leapt. He was getting better! But then, he started shaking again and she ran to comfort him through one of the biggest seizures he’d had yet.
Meanwhile, up at Pride Rock, Ajali was preparing to ask Dafina formally to be his mate. He had planned a romantic stargazing session in their favourite spot. She was going to meet him just after sunset, so he had set out early to get ready.
However, when he got there he noticed a white lioness crying. He ran over to her and asked her whether she was okay. She shook her head.
“What’s your name?” Ajali asked.
“I’m Nabii.” Sobbed the lioness.
“Why are you crying?”
“Because I thought my life was going to work out brilliantly with a loving mate and a beautiful family, but it hasn’t. I don’t have anyone to love.”
That sparked something up in Ajali’s mind. Perhaps, if he took Nabii back to Pride Rock she will fall in love with Chimalsi, for that was what was wrong with him. He was heartsick!
“Nabii.” He whispered. “I know someone you’ll like. His name is Chimalsi and he is Prince of the Pridelands. I think he was planning on finding love too, but hasn’t and now it’s destroying him. Please come with me.”
The white lioness nodded and followed Ajali up to Pride Rock.
“Who’s this?” Dafina asked Ajali as they reached Pride Rock.
“Don’t worry my jealous furball, she is for Chimalsi, not me. I only have eyes for you.”
Dafina stepped out of defensive mode and greeted Nabii properly.
“He’s something special – you’ll like him!” She told her.
“Wait for me out here please Dafina.”
Then Ajali entered Pride Rock and walked quietly up to Chimalsi as to not disturb anyone else.
“Chimalsi, wake up please.”
Chimalsi awoke with a start and swiped at Ajali, who ducked.
“Wait! I have someone I think you’ll want to meet.”
The two male lions walked out of Pride Rock and met with Nabii. Chimalsi couldn’t believe his eyes – Nabii was stunning. He loved her snow white fur and her fluffy ear tufts, not to mention her eyes which were the colour of icy water.
“Hi, I’m Chimalsi.”
“Pleased to meet you, I’m Nabii.”
Chimalsi smiled. He liked her name.
“Would you like to join me at the top of Pride Rock? The stars are beautiful from up there.” He asked her.
Nabii nodded and Chimalsi led her away from Ajali, turning back to wink at him in a silent word of thanks.
“That was really kind of you Ajali.”
Ajali spun around to face Simba. He was standing in the entrance of Pride Rock staring up at his grandson and the white lioness.
“He needed a mate, I realised, and that was exactly what Nabii needed too.” Ajali said.
Simba looked Ajali straight in the eyes and nodded.
“I think you’re right. Talking of mates, wasn’t there something you were meant to do tonight?”
Ajali gasped and ran to Dafina to apologise. They went and stargazed and Dafina agreed to be his mate.
When they returned to following day, Nala informed them that there would be a double joining ceremony as Nabii was to be joined with Chimalsi.