Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feline breeding?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any of those combinations only happens in captivity since most of the animals avoid or even try to kill off any others as they are competition for food. I don't think lion / cheetah hybrids are possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by shadow
    this panther do
    Hunting would be too hard...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by shadow
    this panther do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So much stuff you'd have to put into an analysis, but hey, interesting topic. I like asiatic lions! *tacklehugz and gets mauled*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by starlioness
    Tigers don't live in Africa either..
    What kind of cat do I look like to you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Leotahs" aren't possible, at least, not to my knowledge; lions and cheetahs are too far removed, to say nothing of physical and behavioral differences between them, or the fact that the lioness (as it'd have to be a male cheetah and a lioness, despite what the male-female naming convention of felid hybrids would otherwise suggest) would have to be artificially inseminated anyway, for fear of her killing the cheetah. To be honest, I don't think the cheetah is capable of hybridizing with any species. If I had to pick a candidate for a cheetah cross, though, I'd place my bets on the cougar, as genetic analysis puts the two species at least in the same phylogenetic lineage.

But, anyway, red foxes (Vulpes) and dogs (Canis) can't interbreed. Canids they may both be, but they're not closely related enough for the genetics to work. In the same way, last I heard, dogs can't interbreed with African wild dogs (Lycaon), gray foxes (Urocyon), arctic foxes (Alopex), raccoon dogs Nyctereutes, bush dogs Speothos, maned wolves (Chrysocyon), or dholes (Cuon). Nor can these species interbreed with one another. Like I said, general rule of thumb is if they're in the same genus, there's the potential that they can interbreed, but if they're not, then odds are they can't.*

Also, historically speaking, there aren't tigers in Africa, nor had there ever been. However, they have been introduced there, or don't you watch Animal Planet specials about conservation plans that risk seriously messing up an entire ecosystem for the sake of one charismatic foreign species?

*The only place where I've seen this "rule" bent -- if not outright broken -- is in the Felidae, which I put down more to the uncertainty of taxonomic classification within that family than the ability of cats to defy the restrictions of genetics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by nafklt
    But panthers don't live in Africa...

whoops, I thought you meant Tigers live in africa sorry bout that... .

and Suki looks like a shaved cat with Black human hair

Snowy didn't say anything about Dingoes though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
    I've seen that site before, not nice with the pictures of fur and dead cats ...

Foxes are vulpines, and they tend to be enemies with most dogs; because of the people who think it is acceptable to hunt the poor things ... However wild dogs, now that might be a different story ...

Lions can breed with leopards to produce leopons, I know that for a fact =) .

Also apparently lions can be bred with cheetahs to produce leotahs, although this probably isn't true.
    All of these inbreeds are found in our guild, though we're not always one-hundred percent SURE they can be done, right Simba? I'm completely positive about Ligers and Tigons, that's a duh thing and Leopons I'm about eighty percent sure...Liotah's? Hmmm... I'll do some research later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen that site before, not nice with the pictures of fur and dead cats ...

Foxes are vulpines, and they tend to be enemies with most dogs; because of the people who think it is acceptable to hunt the poor things ... However wild dogs, now that might be a different story ...

Lions can breed with leopards to produce leopons, I know that for a fact =) .

Also apparently lions can be bred with cheetahs to produce leotahs, although this probably isn't true.
    Psh, :Ooo: just because we RolePlay with Liotahs or Cheetons doesn' mean we believe they're real. Or at least, I'm pretty sure that they aren't real. =) Ahh don't mind me, I'm only fourteen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sure about leopons =) . I think that a male cheetah with a female lion might work if she allowed it, but the other way round just wouldn't work because... well... the male lion might be a little too big for the female cheetah if you catch my drift .

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/leopons.html

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/hybrids.html

http://members.aol.com/jshartwell/hybrid-bigcats.html

http://www.junglecats.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Feline breeding?

Originally posted by ChildOfThePride
    So we know tigers and lions can interbreed, but can lions and panthers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hmmmmmm this is freaky mating .. so you telling me i can make a Lioness with a Lion then a tiger and then a panther and then a leopord and then a jaguar......... then what would that be call

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by jannali
    this page is amazing: http://members.aol.com/jshartwell/mutant-bigcats.html
    twill answer all your questions

My mom believes that our cat Firefly might be related to a serval, because of her long ears. I'll scan a photo of her sometime.

and Suki looks like a shaved cat with Black human hair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha! I had a cheetah/lion hybrid character name Liotah when I was younger! I called them Chion's, though. She was my first TLK fan character.

Further back ontopic, leopons have been said to be in the wild. Strange, but true. Cheetahs and lions most definately can't breed. Like Snowy said, they're too different. Being so small, they're more like the smaller wild cats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Whitewolf
    hmmmmmm this is freaky mating .. so you telling me i can make a Lioness with a Lion then a tiger and then a panther and then a leopord and then a jaguar......... then what would that be call
    yeah it is kinda freaky

but it is very possible. whether or not a lion will sucessfully mate with a panther is another question.

but through genetic modification etc, it is very possible for science to actually do it....kinda like Jurassic Park style stuff

we learnt about this stuff in one of my University subjects.
    they can conbine genetic material from any animal into another ....
    they already do it with plants for agriculture etc...
    ever heard of GM Foods? (Genetically Modified Foods)

so technically they can make a cat blue, that smells like lemons or something
    of course they dont do it, but they can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Simba_TLK
    they already do it with plants for agriculture etc...
    ever heard of GM Foods? (Genetically Modified Foods)

so technically they can make a cat blue
    I heard of GM Foods. I learned about them in my Agriculture class. We learned about hybrids, too.

I heard of the grapple, an apple that tastes like a grape. Sounds yummy. GM foods are also even seedless fruits, like some kinds of grapes and such.

There are already "blue" cats existing. Russian blues, to be exact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea that be funny if they can make a lion that can talk human.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sure about leopons =) . I think that a male cheetah with a female lion might work if she allowed it, but the other way round just wouldn't work because... well... the male lion might be a little too big for the female cheetah if you catch my drift .
    It doesn't matter if the lioness allowed it. The zookeepers sedate the lioness, I saw a picture of it on that hybrid site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Katse

....I heard of the grapple, an apple that tastes like a grape. Sounds yummy....
    [/IMG]
    Do NOT waste your money on those things...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian
    It doesn't matter if the lioness allowed it. The zookeepers sedate the lioness, I saw a picture of it on that hybrid site.

ewww that sounds nasty when you say they sedate teh lioness.. so basicly they force them to mate :horror: that just not right