Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feline breeding?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Feline breeding?

So we know tigers and lions can interbreed, but can lions and panthers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i think they can, maby i should do some research oO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *glances over at Shadow* Hey Shadow, your character is a panther, do ya know anything 'bout this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    this page is amazing: http://members.aol.com/jshartwell/mutant-bigcats.html
    twill answer all your questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by jannali
    this page is amazing: http://members.aol.com/jshartwell/mutant-bigcats.html
    twill answer all your questions
    Woah, I never knew there were blue tigers, and half of the ones on there...

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it depends on what your definition of "panther" is, considering how the term "panther" is applied to at least three different species (puma, leopard, jaguar).

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    o.O I guess...normal black panthers...like the one in my sig.

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, but in your opinion, what is a "black panther"? A "black panther" can either be a black jaguar, or a black leopard.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Feline breeding?

Originally posted by ChildOfThePride
    So we know tigers and lions can interbreed, but can lions and panthers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    LOL, Suki...

I guess I meant a black jaguar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by ChildOfThePride
    LOL, Suki...

I guess I meant a black jaguar.
    *whispers*[SIZE=small]Clean out your PM box. I need to send you something.[/SIZE]*whispers*

EDIT: LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen that site before and know, that a lot of thsoe arent true. White lions are real and 'technically' stripeless tigers are real too and also the 'golden tigers' are real. If you look up anything about a Blue Tiger, ect. Its impossible. If I learned correctly, every different cat has a certain amount of chromosomes in their body, if they have the same amount in the same species then they can mate, in this case, lions and tigers, but im not sure how many chromosomes a panther or leopard has. Apes have more chromosomes than us and *dont know why you would* but humans couldnt make a baby sucessfully with them. If your missing a chromosome then their might be mental retardation and physical abnormalities. And also Ligers and Tigons generally are sterilizized, not all, just some.
    In any case. King cheetahs are very rare, because cheetahs through DNA experiments have been known to have a lot of the same traits, meaning at some point and time the cheetah race was almost extinct and they were forced to breed upon brothers and sisters. Or thats the theory for so similar dna of cheetahs. I would go on but right now I gotta get off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the general rule of thumb is that if two species are in the same genus, there's a very real chance that they can interbreed, but the odds are against the offspring being fertile. There are many documented crosses among species in the genus Equus (mules and zonkeys come immediately to mind). Crosses in the genus Canis are known across the board, largely domestic dogs crossed with a wild relative (coyote or the highly endangered Ethiopian wolf, not including the well known gray wolf, though there's taxonomical debate as to whether or not the domestic dog is just a subspecies of gray wolf to begin with), though coyote-wolf hybrids are known, too (and I'm not talking about the sometimes debated origins of the red wolf).* Similarly, members of the genus Panthera can interbreed, though lion-tiger crosses are probably the best documented. Leopons (offspring of a male leopard and a lioness) have been known to happen, just not as often, probably due to the size differential between the two (compared to the lesser difference between lions and tigers) to say nothing of possible problems of behavioral incompatability. Leopard-jaguar crosses have been reported as well, but they're also relatively rare. I don't think I've ever heard of a jaguar-lion cross before, though I don't see why it couldn't happen if crosses between other pantherines are possible.

*Oddly, Canis hybrids seem to be perfectly fertile, causing quite a few conservation problems, from coyotes hybridizing with the red wolf and the Eastern gray wolf to domestic dogs (feral and otherwise) hybridizing with the Ethiopian wolf, and consequently introducing "foreign" genes into the population, jeopardizing the genetic identity of the more endangered species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nuka
    *glances over at Shadow* Hey Shadow, your character is a panther, do ya know anything 'bout this?
    hmmm i dont really know....

but i culd easly fund out ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But panthers don't live in Africa...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tigers don't live in Africa either.. Ligers and such are mainly through captivity ..

here's a question.. can Red Foxes and Dogs (their size) interbreed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by starlioness
    Tigers don't live in Africa either.. Ligers and such are mainly through captivity ..

here's a question.. can Red Foxes and Dogs (their size) interbreed?
    But most ligers and tigons are actually Asiatic lions and tigers...

And I don't think foxes can interbreed even though they are both in the canine family...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Tabansi
    I've seen that site before and know, that a lot of thsoe arent true. White lions are real and 'technically' stripeless tigers are real too and also the 'golden tigers' are real. If you look up anything about a Blue Tiger, ect. Its impossible. If I learned correctly, every different cat has a certain amount of chromosomes in their body, if they have the same amount in the same species then they can mate, in this case, lions and tigers, but im not sure how many chromosomes a panther or leopard has. Apes have more chromosomes than us and *dont know why you would* but humans couldnt make a baby sucessfully with them. If your missing a chromosome then their might be mental retardation and physical abnormalities. And also Ligers and Tigons generally are sterilizized, not all, just some.
    That sounds accurate to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by nafklt
    But panthers don't live in Africa...
    this panther do