Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Nik Ranieri's Timon

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Nik Ranieri's Timon

Animator Nik Ranieri is posting some TLK gems on his Facebook page!

Before Mike Surrey was assigned Timon, Ranieri was doing some work on the character.

"On Aladdin, I couldn’t even get a minor character. All of a sudden, there were two films that wanted me to supervise a character. It was no coincidence. Lion King was produced by Don Hahn and directed by Rob and Roger. The other film was Pocahontas, directed by Mike Gabriel and Eric Goldberg. I had worked with all of these people with varying degrees of success. Neither film was ready for production so I had time to make up my mind. Lion King was closer to production, so I worked on that film in the meantime.
    The Lion King folks wanted me to supervise Timon. It was a great character. A little like Bugs Bunny – which was right up my ally."

"Over the next few months, I worked on design and some model sheets for the character. Rob Minkoff had a specific idea in mind for the look of the character. He wanted the ears larger and droopier. I didn’t really like that idea but of course, he was one of the directors so he ultimately won out.
    Here are a few of the model drawings that I did for the character early on."

And as an added bonus: Timon drawings by Rob Minkoff!

I really do like the direction he was going in and I think Timon would have worked with Ranieri' design too There's an animation test and more drawings on his page! And there might be more to come too. He posts a lot of awesome Disney material, not just Lion King-related, so you should definitely check it out

https://www.facebook.com/NikRanieriAnimator?fref=nf

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Very cool, his design is very expressive and somehow more meerkat-like at the same time. I like it
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow, that was a really good design, I wouldn't have minded seeing it in the movie instead either. I'm following Nik on FaceBook now too

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He animated Meeko didn't he? I'm just guessing, but in that second image, the Timon on the right-hand side just made me think of Meeko in the expression.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He was the supervising animator for Meeko.

And yeah, I really like Nik's design of Timon... in fact, maybe I like it more than I do Timon's actual design. I liked the page on FB, it looks quite interesting, so I'll have a good look.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook