Thanks Thanks:  24
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lion Guard (2015)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ^ Yes! Some fans are too attached to their own theories, clearly xP

Kopa isn't canon, he is what the fandom likes to call semi-canon. Kion is much, much more "official" than Kopa ever was. Apart from making another full-blown feature film, this is as canon as it gets, haha. The raging people on MLK seem to have forgotten that TLK belongs to Disney and not to them

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerane View Post
    They didn't include Kopa in SP because the producers/directors or whoever had no knowledge of Kopa's existence.
    Oh how the internet has revolutionized research. Just think, if they'd made SP in 2008 rather than 1998, all it would have taken was a single web search to avoid a decade-plus of controversy.... :P

I haven't been over to MLK, I'm sure it's fantastic though. How dare they create a children's TV show about a new cub of Simba instead of a full-length fictional-character-driven biopic about Scar & Mufasa? Pfff, inventing a new generation, what a cop-out! ....only that's what 90% of member's fanfics are about
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ I was actually thinking it would have been cool if they'd used cubs like Tojo, Malka etc Or even the whole "prequel" thing with cub versions of the adults from the first movie. But then again, if Disney created all that for us, it wouldn't leave us in much of a place for fan theories and our own fiction and universes, which is just as much fun

I think the part I'm liking most, is that Kion is Simba and Nala's cub, not Kiara and Kovu's. It's a nice break-away from a repetitive next generation type thing, and is simply another story to follow. =)
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KanuTGL View Post
    The raging people on MLK seem to have forgotten that TLK belongs to Disney and not to them
    I see what you did there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^ Took me a while to get it, but Lol

Kopa isn't canon, he is what the fandom likes to call semi-canon. Kion is much, much more "official" than Kopa ever was. Apart from making another full-blown feature film, this is as canon as it gets, haha. The raging people on MLK seem to have forgotten that TLK belongs to Disney and not to them
    You know, now that I think of it, this is exactly the same that's happening with the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII and fans of the SW Expanded Universe. There's an ongoing rage because their books aren't taken into account, but it's already been stated that only the movies and The Clone Wars series are the real canon, while the Expanded Universe books are considered "legends"... if that makes sense :P

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When you look closely, you see that Disney is applying this kind of strategy a lot. Though I was very young there, I remember a similar Discussion about the Junglebook and Talespin. They mixed the characters into a completely different setting and today most people like both, series and movie alike. At least I do and I know from many other they feel the same way.

We can also see it this way: We get a lot more material to discuss, even if it is about how "unrealistic" everything is and how it contradicts the previous published books/comics. Yes, for me they are also canon, although not directly produced by Disney, but they allowed to "continue" the story in a way. Of course, this is a matter of discussion and perspective.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Simba View Post
    Haha! Yes - yes, I totally meant to do that...

EDIT: Also on the subject of Kion's name, Kreoko on deviantArt said:
    "'Kion' is an invented name derived from the Maasai word 'Kiongozi', which means 'take leadership'. So, maybe Kion's name is actually Kiongozi, just calls himself Kion for short"

According to the Kamusi dictionary, "Kiongozi" also means "leader" and "guide" in Swahili. Seems very fitting!

I'm happy to settle for this explanation of why his name is what it is. Even if the real logic is that it's just "lion" with a K... xD
    Last edited by KanuTGL; June 13th, 2014 at 11:19 PM.

-----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I could check with my grandmother on that. She lived in Africa with the Maasai. She knew both Swahili and Maasai. She taught me a little too but that was a long time ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quite curious about this but not that excited
    "Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"

Signature made by SimbasMate

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm actually quite excited about this. Any TLK is good TLK in my opinion. Yes, even the more "controversial" things. And Disney Junior shows are generally pretty good if you really watch them.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If they made some TLK series more dedicated to 7-15 years old viewers I as an adult fan would be jumping for excitement
    "Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Simba View Post
    I finally got it!!

It only took me about 10 re-reads to get it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Here's the official The Liong Guard logo:

Source: trademarks.breanlaw.com/86311267-the-lion-guard.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ooookay... Yes that font kind of resembles the Lion King-Font. Good choice!
    Can't wait to see other details about that show. I even stared to dig out several old TLK comics just to get a "feeling" for it. I thought since they were made for smaller children as well, maybe it helps me to prepare for what is to come. Yeah... I know that's strange. But I really could imagine some of the plots in a show like Lion Guard.

"Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."
    ~ Brom, "Eragon".

Thank you for that nice Avatar, Atimon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    How many in the age group 7 - 15 years would be interested in watching a Lion King cartoon compared to the group of 2 - 7 year-olds though, Juhouh?

And interesting logo. I think it looks promising for the tone of the show, actually. They could've done something along the lines of Lioden and be all kid-friendly with a shiny happy thing, but this one is sticking close to The Lion King's original logo. I like that :P

-----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How many in the age group 7 - 15 years would be interested in watching a Lion King cartoon compared to the group of 2 - 7 year-olds though, Juhouh?
    Well not many, or who knows?

EDIT: lol, I did actually misread you post first. I hope no one saw anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh dear you're on the roll Kanu.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think that Disney is a company that'll play it extreemely safe, if given the choice of a safe bet or a risk. As much as we would like a show aimed at an older audience, we can't forget that we are in fact not Disney's primary target group. And my mind is damaged by the all marketing courses I've taken, I hope you can forgive me

-----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say the most of the true fans of TLK are over 18 years old. I'm soon turning 20, I'm still probably the youngest member of these forums. Not many 2-7 years old have ever even heard about The Lion King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While obviously Disney's target audience is that younger age bracket, I feel like part of the reason it's a very good idea for them to develop this show for the age group they are, plus the large amount of baby merchandise, is because most of the original TLK fans, are of an age where they could have their own kids. What would die-hard TLK fans buy for their babies to wear, TLK merchandise of course. And what tv shows would they want them to watch, one based off of their favourite movie from when they were a kid. So while it is already Disney's target audience, I'm sure they are well aware that TLK still has a very much alive and kicking fan base, a large number of which would be in their mid-twenties and possibly have families of their own. Very smooth marketing Disney, very smooth

As a side note, I think the only thing I'm going to miss about not having kids, is getting them to watch TLK for the first time, and making them love it... even if they don't