Thanks Thanks:  24
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lion Guard (2015)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gaahh, guys! I'm so excited, too! Although I have some reservations with this, i'm glad that our beloved TLK will be exposed to the new youth of our world. It might just actually give some new hope for them. Tehe. I just revel in the thought of enjoying it with my own children a few years from now..

Still, as you guys had mentioned - the paw print birthmark, really? Let's not get too cheesy here, Disney. It's been nearly 16 years since they've created a serious addition to the franchise (referring to TLK 2 here, as I sometimes refuse to regard TLK 1.5 as true canon), so I believe we deserve a lot of effort put into this! I'll admit, while it may sound unoriginal, the name "Kion," is kind of cute, in my opinion. But what about Kopa? Did the TLK6NA stories never actually happen? I wish they could have acknowledged that long-living loophole before introducing a new, random character - who, we can't deny, is another Simba - clone. The back - flowing mane tuft is approved of on my end, since that trait could have been inherited by Scar. Still, Disney forgot one thing..again: Nala! This little guy looks nothing like her. Could it have killed them to color his eyes blue, or green? Or we could even take another leap forward and change his mane color to something more..I don't know, original? I'm sorry to be so critical, I just can't help it.. *giggles*

It would be awesome if we as devoted TLK fans could petition some alterations to this series, since it is apparently still in development. As the user "Werebereus" suggested on Deviantart, perhaps many TLK fan artists could submit their more, "thoughtful" versions of Simba's new son, so that maybe the company could choose a more suitable character that makes all fans happy, young and old.

Buut, it might be just a pipe - dream. Regardless, this is wonderful news that's worthy of celebration!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I still think this has a lot of potential, for instance we can have the same story line as in the 6NA and this would also bring Mufasa on stage in an acceptable way as in a story told by Simba to Kop... I mean Kion. But I fear this goes more into a childish direction and don't forget TLK was made for the age 8+ and this series is settled for kids younger than that. So, I assume it will be about solving little daily problems and bring environmental conservation, tolerance etc. closer to the audience. Seriously, what kind of problems should this group solve, which couldn't be done by Simba and Nala?

The musical background is also of particular interest for me. I'm really wondering how it will be, hopefully similar to TLK of course, but they have a composer who comes from a completely different field (Mickey Mouse).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy moly, Brian even updated the bulletin on the front page of the fan-art archive! Definitely big news indeed Also, it's looks like I'm already super far behind with Kion fan-art. I didn't think it would catch on so quick, I'm already behind!

I'm very excited to hear that there'll be some cool animal characters, a honey badger sounds like fun.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm excited about the honey badger.
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Kopa. I think a lot of people have forgotten: Kopa is a completely unknown character outside of the TLK fandom - the only place where he is famous is among "us". I actually doubt that the creators of this show even know he exists. And even if they do, why would they take a character - created by someone else - from an obscure set of books that were published many, many years ago instead of creating a brand new one?

But, goodness, the fandom meltdown. Looking around the internet, I'm getting the vibe that certain fans feel like Disney should make this show for them - a tiny, tiny segment of Disney's target audience - "just" because they've been fans of the films for a long time... Disney does not "owe" us anything. *must... refrain... from ranting... about... crazy fans...*

Back to being excited! A new TLK cartoon! Wheee!

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just wanted to add to my opinion, haha, as long as it looks better then the Timon & Pumbaa series, hehe

I'm usually a negative person, so ill try and keep away from this thread untill it is finally released

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoPE View Post
    Being a preschool serie, i don´t think we will see great stories and animation, but i really hope that i´m wrong....
    Oh I hope you're wrong, From the arts I see on this page this going to be like the first movie of TLK instead of Simba's Pride animation.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KanuTGL View Post
    But, goodness, the fandom meltdown. Looking around the internet, I'm getting the vibe that certain fans feel like Disney should make this show for them - a tiny, tiny segment of Disney's target audience - "just" because they've been fans of the films for a long time... Disney does not "owe" us anything. *must... refrain... from ranting... about... crazy fans...*
    This.

The fact that this is a preschool show and is thus geared towards what children will enjoy is first and foremost in my mind - I think that's partially why I'm not letting myself get stirred up over it (including my personal feelings on the name and/or character design). I have no doubt that children will be entertained by it, but I don't think I will be...however, if the show spawns more TLK merchandise, a HUZZAH! will be in order.

~ must resist the urge to make honey badger jokes ~

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^ I agree with that as well.

As for myself, I'm pleased to know that at least TLK will go on in some form, even as a preschool cartoon. I don't think I'll get to follow the show itself unless it turns out to be better than it's expected. Remember My Little Pony? Bronies weren't exactly their target audience perhaps a similar effect could happen within TLK fans, who knows. But even if that doesn't happen and the show limits to a preschool audience, it's still new official material. I'm very curious of the kind of fan theories and fan fiction that this will generate (So far, my theory about the pawprint shoulder mark is that it's to identify the members in the Guard, so maybe that honey badger will have a pawprint mark as well?). And the art... oh the ART! I'm already seeing loads of very good drawings of Kion on DeviantArt, and I look forward to see more when more characters are revealed.

My point is, whatever this show turns out to be, it's a good time to be a TLK fan

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The pawprint on Kion's shoulder reminds me very much of the markings on the ponies in My Little Pony, for some reason. Not so sure about that... I think he'd look better without the pawprint, but it's aimed for preschool after all, so I can live with that.

But yeah, I think I'd be very curious to watch this. If it doesn't show on TV here, then there'd better be somewhere online to watch it (YouTube, yay!) just so I can see how it is (and because it's something to do with TLK, of course). With it being for a preschool audience, I don't expect it to be anything too good, but I think I'll give it the benefit of the doubt anyway, at least until I watch it.

Either way, it's good to see TLK being introduced to a whole new generation, however the outcome turns out to be. I look forward to seeing more characters released soon, including the honey badger, and I already feel the urge to draw Kion now, hehe.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All my brony friends are getting hyped and I feel like such a hipster when I tell them I was in the TLK fandom before MLP:FIM existed.

But real talk, I'm so excited for this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leorgathar View Post
    And the art... oh the ART! I'm already seeing loads of very good drawings of Kion on DeviantArt, and I look forward to see more when more characters are revealed.

My point is, whatever this show turns out to be, it's a good time to be a TLK fan
    Yes! On both points

Still haven't gotten around to drawing Kion, hoping I can make time after work tomorrow

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    All bronies i know, were/are TLK fans.

Enviado de meu LT26i usando Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hopefully the paw print mark on Kion's shoulder is something he put there. Maybe stuck his paw in mud and then marked his shoulder, when he first started this "Lion Guard" group. I'm betting everyone in the group will have a mark like that. Otherwise if he was born with that mark, that would be rather silly... But then again, this is a show make for pre-schoolers... So we'll see.
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Look closer:

His pawprint mark glowing!
    Wait a second... a lion cub with some kind of a glowing mark on his fur? I saw it before...

(From the "Simba the King Lion" by MondoTV.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nit View Post
    Look closer:

His pawprint mark glowing!
    Wait a second... a lion cub with some kind of a glowing mark on his fur? I saw it before...
    Nah man, das a cutie mark!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I went over to MLK and read through their (14 page) thread on this, and boy is there a lot of hate and negativity. I don't get it

People want to see Kopa and the complaint is that Disney is ruining TLK by not making the cub Kopa, but if they were to have a series with Kopa, it would have to be that Kopa was before Kiara which would destroy the whole Simba's Pride thing!

No it's not going to be up to movie quality, it's a tv show. Yes it could be a bit basic, it's aimed at preschoolers. But BRAND NEW TLK universe storylines and characters, that's brilliant There aren't many movies that have a good following to bring out a tv show for kids more than 20 years after the movie's release. I think we're pretty lucky

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hmm, maybe there is a bit of a point about "Kopa".
    I mean, clearly, the cub in the first movie at the end, is not Kiara.

With disney preschool, does that mean, it's only for Disney Channel? The Belgian version of the DC is so messed up, haha (Milow the fish ?? lolz), it'd be a miracle for them to show it over here too, dubbed off course

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    In principle I can understand why they are so upset about it. Disney obviously ignores the canon in which many Fans believe very strongly and we spent almost 20 years about getting all the different comics (published and produced mostly _not_ directly by Disney, like the 6NA) and sequels into a consisting storyline. And now they seem not willing to answer all the questions, instead they continue with the next generation. However, I still think we need to wait a bit until we saw the first episodes to fairly judge about it, or at least when more information about the story are released.
    In the worst case I will handle it in the same way as with the "Timon and Pumbaa" series, mostly ignore the episodes, except for the few good ones, like "Timon's Story". And I guess it will be the same with TLG (*g*), there will be bad and (hopefully) some good episodes, still mostly consisting of childish story games (I guess), but with small drop of hints, which either fills some plot holes of the movies, or create new ones to discuss about it. xD

I also checked the web for releases in other countries, but at least for Germany I couldn't find any. Since we have a Disney and other kids channels I'm quite sure they will not produce it for English speaking countries only. That would be a waste and Disney always focus on the global market and not US alone. Although I fear the title will be stupid here, either completely in English (which I'm fine with, btw), or something like "Die Loewen Patrouille"... *shudder*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kopa was not created by Disney though, 6NA while considered canon by many fans is not actually canon as they were not written by Disney, it simply carries the Disney label. They didn't include Kopa in SP because the producers/directors or whoever had no knowledge of Kopa's existence. The cub at the end of TLK was technically named Fluffy, but nobody complains about that inconsistency