Thanks Thanks:  24
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lion Guard (2015)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks really great. Better than I expected actually. I'm impressed with the overall designs of the characters. And the fact that Simba and Nala look actually like their normal selves again is just awesome. I don't have to picture them like in SP any more.

I gotta say, I'm pretty darn excited about this.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow, so it's really called Roar of the Elders after all. And Scar was leader of the Guard? Wow! This just turned much more interesting!

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Seems like a few questions that have been around the fan-base for the past 20 years will get resolved?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe and probably a 100 new came up. ;-)

OIn youtube appeared a more complete video of the D23 event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXFYGzuIaQ

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The song reminds me of Paul Simon's "You can call me Al", lol.

For now, I'm still thinking: my God you guys, leave a 20 year old movie *alone*!
    (same thing I think with every other sequel that has been made)

It's cute for little kids, as it resembles all the other stuff Disney XD / junior has, but for me personally, doesn't appeal to me at all.

What I do like, is that background story about Scar and Rob Lowe as Simba.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here's an embed of the video from D23 uploaded by Stitch Kingdom

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Aaaaaand people are already nitpicking. Can't they understand that this is stylized? And that it's also made to appeal to pre-schoolers?

Frankly, Disney Junior has some fantastic programming already. I prefer the shows on there to the regular Disney Channel shows. Have you seen Miles From Tomorrowland? So cute, and educational! Same with Octonauts. I also like Doc McStuffins.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just saw the D23 clip. Looks like it could be interesting.

Still only speculation on whether during/after SP? Seems weird that Simba would be paranoid of the Outlands after. Though hyenas moving in could facilitate that. Hopefully best lioness makes appearance either way

Art looks pretty good, they're clearly going the extra mile to emulate the original style at least, though it does feel kinda low budget at times (the hyenas in particular say 'I'm 3D animated!' to me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Shatara has returned. Welcome.

I'm Stoked, I absolutely love the every bit that they add into the series.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Shatara! Great to see you again around here

Quote Originally Posted by HasiraKali View Post
    Aaaaaand people are already nitpicking. Can't they understand that this is stylized? And that it's also made to appeal to pre-schoolers?
    I know, right? Comment sections everywhere is full with all kinds of hate and bashing. And they keep idolizing Kopa complaining that he's not in TLG
    People are taking it too seriously.

I understand the Roar of the Elders is a fantasy element no one saw coming, and that it's strange to fit something like that in the preexisting TLK universe. But I do think it's an interesting new addition, and I personally find it fascinating, especially how they linked it to Scar (They didn't forget about Scar! How cool is that). It has a real lot of potential if you think about it, but in any case it's still a kids show in the end, no point in nitpicking it.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You also need to consider that the "Timon and Pumbaa" series is in principle part of the TLK universe, too. And this show was way beyond, from the realistic point of view, than what we saw so far in TLG.
    Maybe this "roar of the elder" is a symbol similar than in the Mufasa's cloud scene and only part of Kion's imagination, what kids usually do at that age. Imagine they can jump 100 feet high, or so. I know it's a long shot, but perhaps some can interpret that in this way to integrate it into the TLK universe. But I have the feeling that we will see a lot of plot holes in comparison with the movies...

Nevertheless, one thing is very positive about this: There is gonna be more TLK stuff and lots of room for discussions. Considering one episode has 20 minutes and they will make something like two seasons a 20 episodes. This is a lot to keep the community busy for years. :-)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I don't feel I'm nitpicking, as clearly many adult fans like this.

When I was a kid we had Gummi Bears and Ducktales, that's the style I still love from Disney series, not what they have been doing in the past few years.

Not bashing, just an opinion.
    Am curious to see the result though. So just basing my opinion on what I know so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh no, I wasn't talking about your comment, Nathalie, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was

Nah, you didn't bash or nitpick it, you have a valid opinion and that's ok. I was referring to people who keep whinning with explicit hate comments, that they've ruined TLK forever, that Kion looks like a fanmade OC, that he has superpowers, but especially that they're messing with the "canon" by not including Kopa

I'd say the only thing I'm a little nitpicky about TLG is that Fuli, the cheetah, has the markings all wrong. It bugs me even more since they're consulting nature experts. But that's about it. Still I think that they're doing a pretty good job with this show.

I also wanted to say, I love the song Beau Black performs at the end of the D23 video, I believe that's the main theme for TLG, and it's awesome! I had it stuck in my head all day yesterday

- Hamlet

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was just commenting for me personally so no worries

I've got You can call me Al stuck in my head since yesterday now

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've decided to do my best to stay way away from the big fandom debates about TLG :'D Here on Lea I feel like everyone can keep a civil tone, which is very refreshing, but in other places people are just so darn quick to hate on the show. It hasn't even been released yet! I am waay too excited about the high quality production and the obvious effort they're putting into it to complain xP It's brand new TLK content! That isn't centred around Timon and Pumbaa! I mean, how cool is that? xD

The whole Kopa thing is just too ridiculous. I think I've said it before, but, augh xP He was never canon. No one outside the TLK fandom knows he exists. I like Kopa. He's a neat plot device. But some fans are just taking it all too seriously... I also think that if Disney had decided to pick up an obscure book-character from aeons ago, there would still have been just as many fans hating on him. I think that Kopa, as he is, is a blank slate and as such is open to interpretation. Every fan can project their idea of who Simba's cub should be onto him and make him perfect. Kion will be a defined character, who will have a canon story and a canon personality. Regardless of how a Kopa would have been written in the show, he would never have been able to live up to the fans' expectations. Better then to run with a brand new character, I think. Edit: Maybe it's also causing so much of a stir because there are so many fan theories in the TLK universe that have more or less been accepted as the definite stories and The Lion Guard will undoubtedly have no regard for these. I wouldn't be surprised if TLG "rewrites" a large chunk of the fanon, and I bet that that doesn't sit too well with some. I'm very curious to see if we'll get to know Scar's real name, or even see some official designs and names for his and Mufasa's parents though. That would be awesome. But I can really imagine the fit the fandom would throw over it if they aren't called Ahadi and Uru... xP

I'm not surprised about the super power either, since everything super heroes seems to be all the rage these days I'm on the fence whether I like it in the TLK universe or not, but I'm ready to roll with it. I'm having faith in TLG for now

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...and some fans are perfectly happy to see Kopa jossed out of existence

Apparently even Equestria Daily is picking up the hype. Or at least accusing of copycatism :P Given the target age group, I expect a lot of similarity; lots of friendship problems with the occasional adventure or big bad to throw the Elements of Ha-err, Roar of Elders at...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatara View Post
    Apparently even Equestria Daily is picking up the hype. Or at least accusing of copycatism :P Given the target age group, I expect a lot of similarity; lots of friendship problems with the occasional adventure or big bad to throw the Elements of Ha-err, Roar of Elders at...
    Yues, yues! Looking forward to it. BTW Shatara, what pony sites do you frequent? Never seen your name pop up. Got an OC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mostly just EQD and some pony chats. Occasionally as 'Eridani'. And yes. Probably best keep pony stuff to pony thread though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatara View Post
    Apparently even Equestria Daily is picking up the hype. Or at least accusing of copycatism :P
    Wow, yeah, because no other kids shows centre around a group of close friends with special marks of power...

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^This

Yeah, that's about the only thing they're alike, which is vastly common in so many shows anyway. Other than that, the Pridelands is absolutely no Ponyville

- Hamlet