Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: this is what i hate about humans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nephilim
    Hm. You know... I really have nothing against humans. Just individuals. Am I the only person here proud to be human?
    I'm not proud, but I accept that I am and am content with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm an extra-terrestrial. o.O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sonique21837?
    I'm an extra-terrestrial. o.O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't "hate" anything except "hate" itself. My opinion on hunting is the same as Endless Night's opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by John
    I don't "hate" anything except "hate" itself. My opinion on hunting is the same as Endless Night's opinion.
    Which was...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Xinithian
    Which was...
    Which was this:

Originally posted by Endless Night
    This thread is bothering me.

You guys have every right to be outraged by hunting, but you should get your facts straight about hunting and conservation.

And at the risk of coming off as a total ***** but speaking as someone who's actually an active part of conservation in Africa, I can safely say SCI has done a hell of a lot more for wild life than any of you here *****ing about them.

Conservation has got nothing to do with one animal, it has to do with wild places. Because of trophy hunting the wild place is more valuable left as a wild place than clear cut for lumber or grazed by cattle. So by hunting one or two types of animals, you preserve a thousand other plants and animals. In Africa privately owned game 'preserves' where they allow trophy hunting are the largest undistrubed habitats for a variety of animals and how they are sustained. Government parks are another major player but they come and go with government stability and health and need income to maintain fences, staff, etc. that they often don't have.

It's true my speciality is Sable Antelope(which SCI have an appreciation for http://www.safariclubfoundation.org/sables/) but I know the true nature of conservation is that you have to save the whole. So people trophy hunt Sable in areas where the populations are stable enough to allow it, and that area is perpetuated as Sable habitat(and by extension all the other creatures that also live there) as long as it's profitable to leave it that way.

Trophy hunters pay big bucks to go and hunt on safari.
    The people who outfit and service safaris are local people who have a steady income from it. That means they don't have to be lumberjacks, or farmers or depend on bush meat to survive. They stop being a factor of habitat loss.

Trophy hunting HELPS conservation. What wipes out species in this day and age isn't trophy hunting. It's local people in poverty who have to eat bushmeat(including endangered animal like primates and antelope) or starve, and have to be farmers to survive and so introduce livestock with foriegn disease and who over graze and out compete wildlife, and who are lumberers to make money and clear cut land. Anything that can create income for local people and preserve the wild place at the same time is a good thing not a bad thing.

At Phala Fala we encourage people to go on Safari armed with a camera not a gun, since you get the same benefits to the local economy and local wildlife without the death of an animal. But we know trophy hunters as a community are tremendous partners in conservation and preservation, and we vaue them for their efforts and conservation.

Commercial hunting ranches and canned hunting ranches are a different story, but they do help in a way. They provide clean blood lines for species survival programmes, who are otherwise desperately inbred. Although AZA zoos cannot buy animals from non-AZA sources, private donations of animal can be a lifeblood for animals with few in numbers in zoos. The Sable Antelope in North America is a good example of that dependance on private ranchers for viable new genetics. These ranches also provide animals for relocation back to their wild habitat, research into vetrinary care and taxoxnomy of animals to be applied in Parks and Zoos, and public awareness. Most animals on game farms live in better conditions and with a better level of care than in even the best zoos. Rather than live in a 1 acre paddock at a zoo harassed by people daily, they live in a 60-100 acre enclosure demormed and vaccinated once a year and otherwise left alone until shot.

I get so annoyed when people go off about trophy hunting without knowing the facts. And I get really annoyed by people who seem to play favs, like it's okay to hunt antelope but not say lions. Lion are so overpopulated they have to castrate them in zoos, and cull them in parks. I'd rather see someone come and hunt a lion, spending $8000 in the process that goes partly into the pockets of local people and keeping that wild place profitable, than a game warden in having to go out and shoot it because there's not enough room or food in the park. Same with a Sable or Zebra, or even a wolf, etc., in the same situation.

I will never trophy hunt, because that's my personal belief, but I'm not so ignorant I ignore the contribution trophy hunting makes to conservation/preservation.
    Source:Safari Club International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Point Taken...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    EN really widened my perspective on the issue of hunting. It's definitely tempting to wish that her statement 'Trophy hunting HELPS conservation' was not true, but, in the current economic climate, the money is needed in Africa to promote the quality of life for the native peoples, and, as a result, curb human overpopulation and prevent bushmeat hunting, which benefits the local wildlife population immensely.

I wish she were still on these forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dislike our race. but not for this... if they are eating these animals then why worry? if it's just a game shoot 'em back...

My family hunts, but we use what we get from the animals Mainly white tail deer and phesant/bird... it's the game of life everyone does it. Lions, bears, spiders. the web of life type of crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't believe in hunting at all really, mainly because all we have to do is go to the grocery store and get something there. Yes, that is killing too. But the one at the grocery store are going to be killed anyway, the one in the woods has a chance.

idk, it's probably just me though.

If you couldn't get to a grocery store or didn't have money or anything.. than, that's different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Speaking of grocery stores Nuka. Did you see that Travel Channel special on certain stores? OMG fudgin' eww, the delicatessen handlers, when they were packaging meat products and by products. This, is what they were doing; smoking, drinking, flicking the ashes in the assortments, scratching their arses and testicles, that and having no gloves on. I was like man, if I was there, if I seen that nauseating, vile act, my shoes sideways would leave an imprint the size of NY stadium. (and that's just being kind to the comparative, what I would really do) An outrage of enormous proportions would succumb. Well, anyway, back to comprehensively music listening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh, as long as my meat tastes good....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by lion_roog
    Meh, as long as my meat tastes good....
    A delightful Food Lion special. ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sonique21837?
    A delightful Food Lion special. ^^
    Never tried lion....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Originally posted by lion_roog
    Never tried lion....
    Food Lion the grocery store. XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm...well that would make more sense...

But I still want to try lion....even though I don't think the lion will appreciate it much, and it'll be difficult sneaking up on him......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time for my opinion.

Hunting for sport isnt exactly the most productive or for that matter, logical thing in the world. Especially when you consider endangered species and dwendling populations.

Hunting for food however is perfectly fine by my standerds. Even the good book says that. (Animals were created to service man.)

Done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
    That thought makes me feel sick LR, mate ... Lion on a plate !!! I know your were being funny, but I have a strange urge to beat anyone who wants to do that seriously senseless. Not a nice thought >.<...

I didn't say I wanted to eat it...just try it....you know....take a little nibble of the tail or ear while they were sleeping....that's why I say I don't think they'll appreciate it...I never appreciated my guinea pig taking a nibble of me.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
    That thought makes me feel sick LR, mate ... Lion on a plate !!! I know your were being funny, but I have a strange urge to beat anyone who wants to do that seriously senseless. Not a nice thought >.<...
    What puts lions above other animals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good point there Neph, they are probaly pretty high in the food chain but that doesnt mean they are the ultimate animal...I dont think there is one :E