Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I know this has probably already been asked before..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know this has probably already been asked before..

Who exactly is Nala's father? It would make sense if Mufasa's her father and Sarafina was her mother 'cause Zazu mentions some sort of 'tradition'. :Ooo:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, it's surrounded by mystery. Some people think it's Scar. Or then just some random lion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think they just made it like that so all the fans should buy all the extra material and do heavy research on it

Hehe, yeah..but you know what they say, if you get together inside the family the risk for genetic disease increases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well...
    I don't actually even care.
    But that you all knew already.
    :claw:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, if it was a typical lion pride then its quite possible that either scar or mufasa could be the father!!

But seeing as the characters are personified it would seem a bit too much like adultery for a human audience if mufasa was the father, too sick if simba and nala were like step brother and sister and i don't think scar would be as bitter as he is if he'd got a little summat summat off sarafina if you know what i mean!!

So, it was most likely a rogue lion of some description, that's what i think anyway!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ahhh.. the details Disney leaves for us to ponder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, Ugas in CotPL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually, In lion's pride, there's no "prince", all the male cub should leave pride when they became adolescents. In this way, lions keep exogamy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    From what I've been reading, many lionesses give birth to multiple cubs (average 2-4). It seems strange then, that Simba, Nala, and Kiara would all be only children.

So there may be the possibility that Simba and Nala are actually brother and sister, with Sarafina only being Nala's caretaker to distribute the load of maternal activities (since lionesses don't seem to give preference to their own cubs but share equally in rearing young).

I've also read that nomadic lions would tend to kill the other cubs in the pride before mating to assert their position as the father of any new cubs, thus firmly planting themselves in the pride. (That would debunk the rogue lion theory, unless Mufasa himself was the rogue lion.)

I'm not sure if this behavior applies to all lion prides; it's just some cursory research.

FAQ on lionking.net has the main theories:

http://www.lionking.org/faq.html#father

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by DarkFuzzy

I've also read that nomadic lions would tend to kill the other cubs in the pride before mating to assert their position as the father of any new cubs, thus firmly planting themselves in the pride. (That would debunk the rogue lion theory, unless Mufasa himself was the rogue lion.)

http://www.lionking.org/faq.html#father
    I havn't read that. According to my book about Serengeti lions, the pride are ruled by several male lions. The male lions in pride shift frequntly. Single nomadic lion has no hope to take over a pride unless he is accompanied and numerically exceed the males in the pride.

Whatever, I don't think Disney has any "theory" in designing Nala.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Huma
    I havn't read that. According to my book about Serengeti lions, the pride are ruled by several male lions. The male lions in pride shift frequntly. Single nomadic lion has no hope to take over a pride unless he is accompanied and numerically exceed the males in the pride.

Whatever, I don't think Disney has any "theory" in designing Nala.
    All the more reason to debunk the rogue lion theory... the pride members would definitely drive him away before he had the chance to mate.

As far as anyone's concerned she just popped out of a hole in the ground. Or she was immaculately conceived

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright then, I'll try to remember that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, all good points but like i said TLK lions are personified, meaning they act like humans.....therefore debunking any theory that compares real lion actions to the actions of tlk lions!!! Making 'Rogue Lion Theory' the most prominent again!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Perhaps Nala's father was formerly a proper member of the pride, but died. Sad, but for a family movie, probably the most agreeable circumstance. Not debunking any theories here, just adding another to the pile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One phrase comes to my mind on this:

[SIZE=huge]"Who's your daddy!"[/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Officially, Nala has no father. Really. Someone on tlk-l (the TLK mailing list) had occasion to ask the directors and/or producer about it. The film crew never even considered who Nala's father might be, so she doesn't have a canon father. Unfortunately, accessing the tlk-l archives seems to be an impossibility right now -- some sort of glitch in the system, looks like -- so I can't dig up the post with that to show everyone.

As per real lion behavior: Yes, rogue males can get away with mating with the lionesses without the pride males knowing. It's happened. And because lions can't count, the pride males mistakenly think of these illegitimate cubs as their own. Similarly, cubs sired by the previous pride male but born after a takeover can be mistaken for belonging to the new males. So, it certainly could happen that Nala was sired by a rogue without anyone but Sarafina knowing.

Of course, as Naline points out, TLK's lions do not behave entirely like real lions. Infanticide is not likely to be a practice that any of the characters would be allowed to indulge in (yes, that includes Scar, unless Disney wanted the rating to jump up a notch or two). In that light, you'd never see a cub killed simply for having the "wrong" father.

Also, remember that Disney was fairly well tripping over itself (and the plot) in order to prevent incest in SP. And, mind, an incest of a lesser degree than would be present between Simba and Nala if Nala was fathered by either Mufasa or Scar. Thus, it's unlikely that Disney wants any such overtones to exist anywhere in the pride. So, if the king mated with all of the females (a la real lions), but his son became the next king and a pride lioness's daughter became the next queen (as seen in TLK), and this pattern continues ("It's a tradition going back generations"?), then you'd have intense inbreeding in very short order (see the Ngorongoro Crater lions for a real life equivalent). Not likely. At least, not with Disney. What's more, I'll bet Disney wants the king and queen to be a monogomous pair, so it's not likely that the king would be having liasons with any of the other lionesses to begin with. So, in order for the pride to continue to exist with only the queen producing young by the king, the remaining lionesses must mate with lions from without the pride, either neighboring kings or rogues.

To which end, there is a children's pop-up book, Simba Wants to Play, that shows a rather...intriguing scene. Whilst Simba is looking for someone, obviously, to play with, he chances upon his father. Mufasa, as it so happens (and is revealed once the flaps are folded away), is involved in some sort of gathering with, if memory serves, some three other male lions. All of these males are of the gold-coat, red-mane variety, so there's not a one that looks like Nala (though Nala clearly takes after Sarafina as far as appearance goes). However, neither Mufasa nor any of these other males appears to be hostile. Indeed, they're all smiling, and seem to be quite at ease with one another. Only Mufasa is standing, with the other males' attention on him. A council, perhaps? Are these neighboring kings or a rogue coalition? No hints are given beyond Simba saying that his father looks "busy".

There are a few other potential males found within the pages of The Lion King: Six New Adventures (TLK6NA) as well, though I generally consider them weaker candidates:
    One is Leo (as in Swahili for..."today", if I'm not mistaken, not Leo as in the generic), an older lion who has a similar pale coat to Nala, though that might be the result of the illustrator trying to show him as "graying," not because of any real similarity between the two. He's a bit of a braggard, though, and yet he never makes mention of being able to claim the queen for his daughter. If he was Nala's father, the impression I get of his character is that he'd never shut up about it.
    In the same story with Leo, there's another lion shown in illustrations (I don't believe he's named). He looks to be of Simba and Nala's generation, though, so he'd be too young to be Nala's father.
    Then there's Ni ("We are...the Knights Who Say....NI!" *cough* Sorry). In Swahili, ni translates rather enigmatically into "I am." However, Ni is young, probably less than three, while Nala is still a cub. Too young, then, to be her father.

"Nala's Dare", the book from TLK6NA in which Ni appears, however, does present some interesting clues as to how the pride deals with rogues. Initially, the lionesses roar to warn the strange lion, Ni, away. Later, once Ni has saved Nala's life not once, but twice (the second time with Sarafina's help), he is invited onto Pride Rock by the lionesses as a friend (a fact I never understood, since this is supposed to have taken place while Scar was king. I can't imagine he would have supported the idea of a rogue in his kingdom, let alone on Pride Rock itself, and particularly not without his prior knowledge and consent). Rogues, then, might still be seen as a threat, at least when cubs are around (there were three, including Nala). Or, the perception of threat might have been that the lionesses simply did not know the rogue, and so it was more a reaction to a stranger than to the idea of a rogue male.

I could probably go off more on this (in fact, I know I could), but I think that's enough out of me for one night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Snowy, very well said!

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well maby disney not keep that who is Nala father so important... even it is for us. They can't do movies just for fans right?"
    Well like TLK3... where is reallity in storyline?

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, I never knew there was a character in TLK6NA named Leo! Coolies! Yet now I feel as though my character isn't so original Well, yeah he is, just his name's not hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nala's father?

Just one question, who are Nala's father?!

I'm going nuts thinking about this, cuz there is no logical explanation. In real life lion packs, there is normally one male and the rest is femals, meaning that the male is the father of every cub that is born. But that can't be the case in the Lion King, because then would Simba and Nala be brother and sister, and... they aren't! And Mufasa isn't Nala's father, right?! He can't be...