Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The only thing I don't like about Kovu...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think Kiara looks like Sarabi either. I don't think she looks like anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ah like 'im that way^_^

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think Kovu is cute the way he is. I like his dark coat and green eyes.

Originally posted by jannali
    i guess to regular non-tlkholic people he might resemble scar.
    Yeah, I think most non TLK fans think he's resembles Scar a lot. My mom asked me when she first saw Kovu in SP if he was Scar's son. She said he looked a lot like him.
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: The only thing I don't like about Kovu...

Originally posted by ChildOfThePride
    His eyes...they just look freaky with dark green and dark yellow against a dark coat....
    What're you talking about? I LOVE Kovu's eyes!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, so do I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sheaa

I don't think Kiara looks a thing like Sarabi.

both have the darker eyelids (only them two have those) and the broad noses
    *shrug* she looks more like sarabi than any other tlk character though, they both have somewhat darker complexions aswell. usually traits skip a generation so it would make sense if kiara looked more like her grandmother than her parents. I think as kiara ages she will look more and more like sarabi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awwww....they're both cute.

And i can see the resemblance Kiara has to Sarabi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't like Kiara, but I like her design. People always say she looks nothing like Simba or Nala.. which I don't get Her fur color is kind of a blend between Simba and Nala's, and it was a nice touch making her resemble Sarabi as well. They did a good job with her design, I think, she could've been a Simba clone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What are ya kidding!?

Kovu and Scar have very pretty eyes...Mmm, *ahem* Pardon me.
    If I got hepatitus I'd look just like them. ^^

But anyway - Green is the color of envy, which is considered an evil ugly thing. So characters with green eyes are sorta evil and jealous of someone or something. Scar is jealous of Simba and Mufasa, and Kovu is...well I dunno, maybe he's jealous that Scar isn't considered one of the "great kings" in most eyes. That's why my mother says I have green eyes because I'm a jealous girl, and I must say that I'm very harsh sometimes.

I dunno that's jsut my stance. ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't see anything wrong with anyones eyes, but with noses on the other hand no, just kidding ... But actually I don't see anything wrong with Kovus eyes, actually, green eyes is very odd and that makes them even more special. I really like green eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hate Kovu's mane--it's so...lumpy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But it's very him, too. I like the TLK manes. They're all, like, personalized as such.

The only thing that ever annoyed me about Kovu is that he never came out with the full truth. I mean, yeah, he turned around after falling in love with Kiara, but Simba got an awful lot of flak for his decisions, while Kovu gets off fairly scott-free on the fact that he *was* sent to originally kill Simba (and tried to, as well!). I suppose that's why I was never really able latch on to Kiara like the other characters. She talks alot about being open-minded, but she's fairly quick to shut the door on the possibility that Kovu may have also been in the wrong. I still like her, mind you, but that is a quality about Kovu and Kiara that I distinctly dislike. There's never that carthartic confession of, "Well, yeah, I was kinda out to kill your dad originally. Just not anymore."

Yes, you're right, jannali, in the original Simba's Pride script Kovu was Scar's son. However, the production crew soon realized this would be incest (Kiara and Kovu would be cousins) and did a very sloppy job of trying to make it so that at every point possible Kovu's parentage was denied.

The thing that always amused me about that is that they already have an incestuous couple - Simba and Nala. In a recent interview, tlk.org's Brian asked about Nala's parentage, and the producers admitted that they always assumed it was either Scar or...Mufasa. I guess as long as it's "don't ask, don't tell," it isn't a big deal?

I will admit that it's a bit sloppily covered and should've been delved into more, but I have to confess that I like the idea of Kovu not being Scar's son. It adds an extra dynamic to his whole connection to Zira and better explains why he was able to turn his back on the Kill Simba Agenda so quickly - it's hard to remain fiercely dedicated to somebody you don't owe anything to, neh? It also helps to emphasize why Nuka is so bitter. I'd be angry, too, if somebody who wasn't even my full (or possibly not even blood-related) was chosen over me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't like Kovu's big head tuft in his mane...it looks...eugh. And my other problem is that he's too sexy. D:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, Scar's only got a little green orb with a black dot smack dab in the middle-THAT'S creepy. But cooooool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I kinda agree a little with chaotic serenit, and trying to take out everything in a FanFic right now...x) Also, just the black dots is creepy too..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by chaotic serenit
    The thing that always amused me about that is that they already have an incestuous couple - Simba and Nala. In a recent interview, tlk.org's Brian asked about Nala's parentage, and the producers admitted that they always assumed it was either Scar or...Mufasa. I guess as long as it's "don't ask, don't tell," it isn't a big deal?
    Acutally, it sounded more to me like at no point during or after production did the thought ever cross their mind. These guys only knew what they made. What other answer could they have given?

Also, that their initial response was 'Roger Allers' kinda goes to support that...

I will admit that it's a bit sloppily covered and should've been delved into more, but I have to confess that I like the idea of Kovu not being Scar's son. It adds an extra dynamic to his whole connection to Zira and better explains why he was able to turn his back on the Kill Simba Agenda so quickly - it's hard to remain fiercely dedicated to somebody you don't owe anything to, neh? It also helps to emphasize why Nuka is so bitter. I'd be angry, too, if somebody who wasn't even my full (or possibly not even blood-related) was chosen over me.
    It does seem rather sloppy, but I like that dynamic too. It seems to add more intrigue to the whole situation. 'scar's son' is relatively cut-and-dried, while 'not scars son' makes ya think

I figure that Zira was eager to impress Scar, especially since Nuka was deemed 'less than worthy', and was disappointed the second time when she found her own cub was female. In the end she stole another lioness's cub, ploped him in front of Scar, and said 'This is our son, Kovu'. Perhaps Nuka knew of this feint, but was threatened into silence...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They mainily look alike in the film off course Simba looks like Mufasa in some scenes only difference Simba's maine is different then Mufasa as for Kiara I think she looks like Simba & Nala (you're thinking WHAT??) well I'll tell you she looks like Nala & she's just like Simba when he was young

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't see young Simba running around like some ditzy five-legged chicken...Well, you have a point there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They mainily look alike in the film off course Simba looks like Mufasa in some scenes only difference Simba's maine is different then Mufasa as for Kiara I think she looks like Simba & Nala (you're thinking WHAT??) well I'll tell you she looks like Nala & she's just like Simba when he was young

What's the big deal even if she doesn't look like Simba and Nala? It's not like the genes they carry only offer so many variables. It's very possible to have a child that looks nothing like the parents. I myself resemble my maternal grandmother more than anyone else in my family.

Acutally, it sounded more to me like at no point during or after production did the thought ever cross their mind. These guys only knew what they made. What other answer could they have given?

Also, that their initial response was 'Roger Allers' kinda goes to support that...

Oh, I'm not saying it was planned out, but the fact that they admitted it kind of surprised me. They could have just as easily said something similarly improv, like, "Sarafina was an outsider who Mufasa took mercy on. She was also knocked up at the time."

Though, Nuka's death seems so much sadder when you realize that it was indirectly caused by his own cousin. SP gets more bitter and tragic when you consider the blood relations amidst the characters. (Because of Vitani's similar appearance, I tend to lean toward the idea that Nala might be Scar's daughter. So, bitter blood between sisters, there.)

I figure that Zira was eager to impress Scar, especially since Nuka was deemed 'less than worthy', and was disappointed the second time when she found her own cub was female. In the end she stole another lioness's cub, ploped him in front of Scar, and said 'This is our son, Kovu'. Perhaps Nuka knew of this feint, but was threatened into silence...

I personally always thought Zira was lying about Kovu being "Scar's Chosen One," myself. I haven't worked it out in my mind who's son Kovu really is, though. Part of it is figuring out the timeline. Zira's exile and Kovu's birth are two important variables we need to figure out. There's a cut scene in the SP script that has Zira's gang already exiled before Kiara's birth (which makes sense - the animosity between Zira, Simba, and Nala we see the film suggests a history we aren't privy too). However, taking this scene in context adds a problem - Kovu can't be much older than Kiara (who I usually put at 2-3 months when they meet), yet in the cut scene, he's already beyond the baby stage. This would support Scar choosing Kovu because it would mean he was old enough to have known Scar (simply not remember him), but it doesn't cover why he isn't bigger than Kiara when he first meets her. (Unless the Outlands have stunted his growth, but his bulk in the latter part of the movie suggests Zira cared for him well.)

I dunno. It's a bit baffling. This is less plot hole and more artistic mistake, but the only thing I can make it fit is to make it work like this:

Event 1: Kovu's mother conceives him. At some point in this pregnancy, Scar names the cub his heir, for whatever reason Nuka isn't acceptable. At this time, Zira is pregnant with Vitani.

Event 2: Simba comes back. Scar's defeated. Nala's either already pregnant or becomes as such shortly thereafter.

Event 3: Vitani is born. Kovu is born a little bit later.

Event 4: Something dramatic happens to split the pride. Zira and her supporters are exiled.

Event 5: Kiara is born.

And the events of the movie follow.

This is, of course, assuming Kovu isn't Zira's son, but material from the movie seems to suggest he isn't. Not just becuase he isn't Scar's son, but also because of when he was born. Vitani is obviously Zira's daughter, and she's Kovu's age, so if they were blood siblings, they would have been born together - yet Kovu is the "last born" before Simba exiled them. And even if she is a bit older than Kovu, she *still* couldn't be his brother because lionesses don't go back into estrous until their cubs are at least 2 years of age. (Which also means that Nuka must be near a full adult already. Zira would've become queen a year or so into Scar's reign.)

It's just a bit...puzzling, is all. Saying he isn't Scar's son both ends one conflict and starts another. Really, the line that just needs to be completely removed is the one about Kovu being the last born before the exile. That's what really throws things off because you can then otherwise assume he's Vitani's littermate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i think Kovu is Zira's son XP we have no idea what zira's parents, or kovus father and his parents looked like. So, Vitani may look like a grandparent. Also, i like the idea of zira having two cubs. real lions dont typically have just one o_O i mean it happens but not all the time (though im guilty of doing it with my own characters. otherwise my 'generations' would be bigger than it is now.

Kovu being born in the pridelands throws everything off. age difference in Kiara and Kovu (then me thinking kopas in ther,e but thats a whol other story xP)

anyway, back on topic. Im a fan of green eyes *.* but blue like vitani's may have worked out better? unno. I praise disney for character designs either way