Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm buying an mp3 player

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I'm buying an mp3 player

Well, I finally managed to save up enough money to get myself a serious mp3 player.
    w00t!
    Trouble is, I'm having difficulty deciding between ipod and Zune. I've never actually owned/handled either of 'em myself, so I don't have much to go on except other folks' opinions and consumer reviews...and I've read something like 6+ reviews already (and most seem to be out-of-date).

At the moment, I'm kind of leaning more towards the Zune mostly because
    • I'm sick of the ipod - most of my friends have one and I'm weird and want to be different
    • the Zune has FM radio. The ipod does not.

However, I figured I'd get some last minute opinions in before I go out and spend $250.
    Anyone out there have anything to say about the ipod or Zune?
    Or...know of another mp3 player that's worth taking a look at?

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ZUNE HANDS DOWN!!!

I'd go with a Zune over iPod anyday. iPods are over rated big time. I have had my zune for almost a year now with no problems and it has a bigger screen and better sound quality . Personally I would look for a refurbished 30gb Zune unless you "have" to have a new one. They are tough MP3 players, had a friend that was really upset at the moment and threw her Zune across the room, put a hole in the wall, and then fell onto the ground and kept playing the song without skipping a beat and continued working just fine. Every person that I have known that has owned a iPod has told me enough stories to keep me permantly scared of ever wanting to own one. You drop it, kiss your $250 good bye! Their HDDs crash after a year or two of owning it, the screens break easily, and the batteries at the longest last on average a year and is $60 to have replaced by Apple and the shipping comes out of your pocket. The only complain/problem I have heard about the Zune is the size of it. Yes it is larger...but to me it is well worth it because of the bigger screen . Of course with an iPod you can find accessories EVERYWHERE including gas stations for crying out loud and with the Zune you will be limited in your accessories unless you enjoy shopping online like I do. If you get a Zune I would reccomend getting the travel pack, it is everything you will need for a Zune except for speakers but the headphones that come with it are some of the best SQ headphones I have ever heard. I worked at a retail store for almost two years, so I have seen the best and the worst of both players. The iPod list kept racking up with problems non stop, the Zune...again the only major complaint was the size but then there were a few that complained about finding accessories for them. Try shopping online for a Zune or wait for them to go on sale, save some money for the travel pack!

www.Amazon.com
    Black 30GB Zune ($180 new)
    http://www.amazon.com/Zune-Digital-M...4671731&sr=8-3

Zune Travel Pack ($27.99 open box)
    http://www.amazon.com/Zune-9DY-00001...671731&sr=8-11

I know the 80gb model is out and it is a little smaller but you have to understand how hard it is to use up 30gbs worth of memory, I have probably 8 movies on mine with over a thousand songs and I'm still not using half of the memory yet with my 30gb model, not worth the extra $70 imho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ Here here. Zune all the way!!! ...

It's better to spend a couple' C-notes on Zune rather than an iPod. You could go for a cheaper brand: but top-of-the-line is always the way to go!!...

Stuff like Durabrand, whatever; kick that _ to the dirt...

♩ "Summer's going fast, nights growing colder.
    Children growing up, old friends growing older.
    Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
    Make each sensation a little bit stronger." ♩

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While I'd recommend the iPod because of generally superb build quality, reliable customer service (I've found the support for my Zune to be abhorant when it had issues that were covered by the manufacturer's warranty), and the availability of a vast assortment of accessories. However, if you're entirely set on not having an iPod, I do still like my Zune (I won it as a prize, so I didn't actually pay for it), and the Creative lineup has also gotten a lot of props. If you like the FM tuner and think that you'll use it, then the Zune sounds like it'll serve you well. Just remember, whatever product you go with, as long as it's name brand, I don't see you being unhappy with your purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ipods sux, mp3s are much better and more easy to handle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by pntbll248
    ...generally superb build quality...
    I don't see that one, sorry

my friend for his birthday received a 3rd edition Nano, battery went dead after one days use, swapped out for new one...went dead within a couple weeks, now he is on his third one and it seems to be working ok now. Another friend I knew, his HDD went dead within a year, another friend same problem, no abuse or anything, just normal playing. One of my friends accidently dropped his, shattered the screen on impact. When I worked at RadioShack, we had more iPods come in for repair than any of our other MP3 players. Step-brothers screen went dead within a year as well, it was going to cost the same to have it fixed as it was going to be able to buy a new one. A majority of the customers and reviews I have read on iPods all point out that the sound quality is lacking on them and even Creative players have better SQ.

Originally posted by O_o
    ipods sux, mp3s are much better and more easy to handle!
    hahaha, iPods play MP3s, iPod is just the name of the player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This one corresponds to S'04's:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5223245

The Wal-Mart I go to had its own Zune display case. (Like this one below- )

With different prices of course, but the best / standard deal probably is the 30-Gig Zune.

; )

♩ "Summer's going fast, nights growing colder.
    Children growing up, old friends growing older.
    Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
    Make each sensation a little bit stronger." ♩

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    30GBs is really all you could ever need, 80GB is for those who never want to delete anything off of their MP3 player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to be against iPods because of their popularity. But my old other mp3 players changed that completely Whatever you do, don't by a player from Creative! They break way too easy and all 3 of mine had the same technical fault in them after a while. So the fault was definitely in the production, not just the individual player. My brother had one to, and it stopped working when he dropped it from 4 inches or so. After those, I got an iPod just because I knew they would be reliable even though I didn't like them at the time. And now I'm very happy with the decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh I love creative, after 3 days I use the mp3 player it suddenly shut down and i had to format my mp3 player. and I had to convert into wma file because if one mp3 file is corrupted, you can't even open the mp3 player. And that's my experience with my mp3 player.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    May I throw a suggestion out there of some Cowon audio products. The sound quality is by far superior over ANY other portable player out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=COWON+America

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Kovster
    May I throw a suggestion out there of some Cowon audio products. The sound quality is by far superior over ANY other portable player out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=COWON+America
    I'm sure the guys over at Archos would say the opposite

Your friendly neighbourhood poom! Taneli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    What the frig is a Zune? o.o

I have an iPod and have had one since they first came out. I love them to bits and find their flowing style menus so easy to navigate around.

Pnt is the only one speaking sense in this thread. I've never once had a single problem with an iPod in all the years I've had one. I've only ever upgraded my iPods...never replaced or changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I posted a link to the zune in my first post

you are very fortunate with your iPods, every person I know that has owned one has had problems with them

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm...the Cowon looks to be a bit out of my price range.
    XD

My friend has a 1st Gen ipod and has never had a problem with it. However, my other friends all have 2-5 Gen ipods and always seem to be having trouble...'tis one of the other reasons why I'm hesitant to invest in one...I don't want the thing to conk out on me in 6 months and then get a "sorry, we won't replace it/fix it...but we'll give you 10% off if/when you buy a new one" schpeal.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's a reasonable concern, it'd suck to buy a several-hundred dollar piece of equipment just to have it fail on you. Hypothetically, if you did buy the iPod classic, you could opt for the 80 gig (I can't think of anyone that needs 160gb of storage) and use the money you save to buy an Applecare plan. I have an Applecare plan for my iPod, and I love it. I accidently crushed the iPod under a heavy skid a while back, there was no visible damage but the screen wouldn't work anymore, but apple took care of me. I made an appointment at an apple store, walked in, showed them my applecare plan, and they exhanged the iPod for a new one on the spot. I don't know that accidental damage is fully covered under the applecare plan, but they didn't ask what happened and I was out of there in five minutes.

There's also the iPod Touch if you like the idea of an iPhone without the phone part. You still get music, PDA usability, internet access, etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DUDE if the Cowons are out of her price range then the touchs are going to be as well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh, I didn't see that she had a set dollar limit. Another option is always ebay, it's a great source for some good deals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't trust buying a MP3 player from ebay, there is no warranty on them...if it goes bad, out of your pocket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've never had a Zune but I would probably go with that. I guess there are some lucky few like Taneli, but I've always had problems with my iPods.