Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Linux Is Slowly But surely creeping up.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Linux Is Slowly But surely creeping up.....

http://wddc.blogspot.com/2007/09/lin...ry-begins.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXwGMf141VQ

Linux Ubuntu

read that and watch the videos trust me ^^

Ive been thinking of converting to Linux for some time now, and im gonna convert tomorrow, these videos can prove to you how Linux completely beats Windows. read what the guy had to say in that first link at the top of this post and you will understand.^^

Linux Has loads more compatibility then you think.

For windows messenger, you can use a Linux based version, and you still can do web cam and voice convo with windows based computers.

Any Office products like word, power point etc, you can download Linux versions 100% legally free, of course it isn't proper Microsoft software but you can always open up power point files, word documents etc. this goes the same to many other software. not to mention Linux itself is 100% legally free (downloadable).

You can even Run Linux Ubuntu directly off the CD and just see what its like before you want to go ahead with the full installation XD.

I'm sick of being stuck to windows, error this, error that, cannot find driver, computer just recovered from a serious error. i've had enough.

one of my mates Jason, he has been using Linux for a couple of years now. and he is very demanding on his computers (and trust me, he knows his stuff) and he hasn't encountered any problems ^^.

Just the little things like the whole of My TLKGO website (except forum). is all Linux based. [size=small]And is situated in a old army nuclear bunker xP[/size].

Dell Are already teaming up with Linux Ubuntu. and are producing laptops with linux installed. Thats always a good sign that sooner or Later, there will start to be tough competition on the OS Market.

Of course with all OS's there are problems, i have read reviews about Linux, and you can get some bugs , minor compatibility issues, etc. but no OS can be perfect xP.

Even though Microsoft is a Multi Billion dollar industry, if more and more people, then more and more companies, start to switch over to Linux instead of keeping with Windows,

then Microsoft will just give up but still make their money elsewhere.

Well thats what i think

Your friendly neighbourhood poom! Taneli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Linux is pretty awesome, takes a while to get used to though.

I used OpenSuse to get a flavour for it and now I have a partition on my lappy so I can choose between XP Pro and KDE :3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sticking with Vista Ultimate, once you get use to Vista, it is definitely a great operating system and much better than previous versions of XP and Mac, no idea about Linux, never cared for it really.

idk, I'm just tired of everyone crying about Vista and about how horrible it is, everyone gets in their comfort zones and when something changes they cry. That is what happened to XP users converting to Vista, they all complained about how horrible it is when the truth is that they honestly just didn't take the time to read up on Vista and learn how to work it properly. My Vista is more compatible than XP by far yet when I worked at a computer shop everyone said Vista was compatible with nothing, big fat lie. If you hear someone says Vista sucks, it is because they don't like big changes and they do not want to take the time to learn something new.

~'04

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've only known Windows all my life. I have XP currently, but have no plans of upgrading.

I'd give Linux a shot because I don't know any better.

:Psst:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *off topic* UTORA YOUR SIG IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where did you find that?!

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I took those photos, the one in my avatar as well, down at the Acadiana Zoo in Louisiana. Her name was Jollie, but..it was French so my spelling is off a bit. I have a lot more of her. She was very active and I got to play with her and pet her,...probably got to close and broke some rules lol, but it was a private zoo so that stuff goes unnoticed. I also crossed the fenced and got down with the lions and touched them. They were Tsavo lions; the male was mane-less. He started mating right there!

XD

Anyways...ja.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you should upload all of your tiger photos to photobucket and send me the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love using Linux, but right now I have Vista installed on my Dell laptop and it hasn't given me any problems. The thing about windows is that it's so easy to get programs for it (since there are always Windows versions out), even though there is a problem with using MS Office 2003 to work with MS Office 2007 files. But as Linux becomes more popular, more and more programs will be compatible on Linux.

But as with Windows, you have to be security conscious with Linux. Windows is the highest targeted OS due to its popularity, but many, if not most, attackers use Linux boxes as their OS of choice to launch attacks from. So they know how Linux works. Plus, if my knowledge is correct, Apache is the most common Web server out there.

But I usually like to dual boot my computers to have both Linux and Windows (always install Windows first).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Simba '04
    I'm sticking with Vista Ultimate, once you get use to Vista, it is definitely a great operating system and much better than previous versions of XP and Mac, no idea about Linux, never cared for it really.

idk, I'm just tired of everyone crying about Vista and about how horrible it is, everyone gets in their comfort zones and when something changes they cry. That is what happened to XP users converting to Vista, they all complained about how horrible it is when the truth is that they honestly just didn't take the time to read up on Vista and learn how to work it properly. My Vista is more compatible than XP by far yet when I worked at a computer shop everyone said Vista was compatible with nothing, big fat lie. If you hear someone says Vista sucks, it is because they don't like big changes and they do not want to take the time to learn something new.

~'04
    So im not trying something new if i move to Linux ? I'm in my "comfort" Zone with XP, and I'm moving to Linux is that a problem ? i dont see myself "crying"

and think about all the people who changed to XP from 2000 etc.
    we all changed to XP one time didn't we? And what i can remember not many people complained about that change compared to people who are complaining about going from XP to vista

so dont start critisiing people about not liking changes.!

Your friendly neighbourhood poom! Taneli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Simba '04
    idk, I'm just tired of everyone crying about Vista and about how horrible it is
    Do you know why everyone insults Vista? Because it's wank, that's why. It's one of the slowest systems I've ever come across and it's incredibly frustrating to use. It needs all the computer's available RAM just to boot the damn thing so you have nothing left to run programs with. Funny thing is, the people who praise Vista are the type of morons who look at how shiny and organised it looks and go "Oooh! Shiny! It MUST be good!"

Ask anyone who knows the first thing about computers and they'll tell you that "Vista = fail" To be perfectly honest, I don't think Windows will improve beyond XP Pro. I'm stuck with Home Ed on this lappy and thus have installed a KDE partition to keep myself happy ^__^

No disrespect or anything, if you're happy with Vista then that's all well and fine. But just don't think that it's a good OS to use :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This Land~you are crying j/k

Taneli~beleive it or not I do know the first thing about computers, I've been going to school for computers for the past couple years, I've worked at a computer repair shop and I now work in Atlanta doing IT
    Vista only = fail for those who don't like change like I said

btw FYI, Vista runs a lot faster than XP, much much faster, especially for gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Keep it nice, boys. Just because someone likes or dislikes an Operating System is no reason to call them a moron.

Actually, I'm with 04 on Vista. I like it. Plus, my ex boyfriend knows a heck of a lot about computers and he thinks Vista is alright (even though he admits it has its problems). I've had Vista since last May and I've had no problems whatsoever (apart from a minor one putting The Sims 2 on here that was solved by my ex).

Anyway, back to Linux (which this thread is actually about). Don't think I'll be changing, because I have no problems with Vista.

Remember, play nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by This land
    I'm sick of being stuck to windows, error this, error that, cannot find driver, computer just recovered from a serious error. i've had enough.
    I've lost count on how many times my desktop has crashed down like that.

I've never tried Linux before, so I'm not quite sure how it works exactly. It does sound pretty cool though. As for OS, my lappy has Windows Vista Home version and even that's taking some getting used to. I don't want to start any arguments about which is better between Vista and XP, but I'll be honest, I'm no fan of Vista. I prefer XP, because it seems a lot simpler and faster to use for what I want it for (I don't use my lappy or computer for gaming or anything, hence why that doesn't concern me) So I'm happy with XP, and the chances of me converting to Linux or any other OS are slim, but I might give it a go at some point anyway.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Aka STM (Administrator ) Sadiki's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I never tried Linux and I have never thought of changing Windows to Linux.

And I'm not planning to update my Windows XP to Vista either as Vista takes so much more from computer and I don't really have the money to upgrade my desktop or laptop. But I probably will get Vista after I get the money to upgrade my gear... which most likely wont be before I move to US.

Lea members I have met: Fuzzy, Naline, Boos, Ruska, Tima, Talfasi, JambaB, Sharifu, Vidan, Muruwa, Taneli, Shadow, nathalie, Lucy , Amaryllis, This Land, Daniel, Lion King Stu, King Simba, Nephilim, KanuTGL, Lion_King_300, 2DieFR, Kenai, A-non-a-mus, Eva Janus, dlb138, Levin, HasiraKali, Revo, Simba The Enigma, Azerane and Xacheraus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll have to throw Ubuntu, on my new EEE PC 4g, already my first Linux system and I'm lovin it! And yes I have xp, vista and mac systems in my house, so I've tried them all.

http://flamingo7388.shackspace.com/Misc/EEEpc2.JPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never thought to change my OS from Windows to Linux, right now I'm thinking about buying a mac at the moment. But I don't want to upgrade from XP to Vista. Like Daniel says: Vista sound like Blister.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know if i'd say Linux is better. All operating systems have their advantages. But i have to say Linux is special. If nothing else - it's free! And you can easily reprogam it to make it to improve security or change anything you need. I have Ubuntu and Kubuntu on CDs. I thinks Ubuntu is better. So i orderen some days ago the newest version. Only thing i dont like it is that games wont work. But it's not It's fault. It can also be solved with small programs. Well in any case. If you want a stable OS you're choice is Linux, If you want "useful" it's windows then. But Windows really likes to crash. So even if you're a Windows user its smart to have Linux CD at home. Just for any case. It saved my files once. My PC crashed so badly I couldn't even get into windows. So insert Ubuntu CD in, boot brom it and save what you need on USB or other hard drive or however... Thanks Linux!
    And just another word for 3rd guge OS.. Macintosh. I personally like it. But again Apple screwed with prices. And i dont think they are special enough to do that. I can get much better PC for much lower price than Mac.