Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watership Down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Watership Down

While Lion King shall always reign as one of the best animated films ever to be made, I've always held something even deeper for Watership Down. I really can't explain what drew me to this movie when I was a child. The story, the unique culture of the rabbits, the beautiful animation. It's really hard to explain what is so moving about the film and the book.
    So now that I have you thinking with my sentimental intro *l*, I'm just wondering if there any fans of the book, the film or even the Canadian/UK animated series?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well i've never heard of it. I'm interested though - could you explain it in a little more detail please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Certainly. =)

Watership Down is about a group of rabbits who must leave their warren in search of safe home. They?re led by a level-headed yearling named Hazel and his visionary brother Fiver, who foresees the warren?s destruction and convinces his brother to leave the warren and take as many of the other rabbits with them. So they set off and basically, the novel tells of their struggles on the journey, the cruelties of man, and in my opinion, the very similar societies of rabbits and man.
    However, when the rabbits find Watership Down, a new quest surfaces as they realize they must find other rabbits to join their warren if their home will survive for future rabbit generations. So they try to help rabbits of a militaristic warren escape, but this forms a rivalry between Watership Down and the warren Efrafa, led by a fearsome tyrant named General Woundwort.
    The novel also included short stories of the El-ahrairah, the rabbit?s hero of their stories, Frith, their god, and the Black Rabbit of Inle, which is death.

To really understand and appreciate the film I would suggest read the book first.

The 1978 film itself is very, very good and one, if not the best film adaptation of the book (the only film adaptation? let?s see Disney try to take this on). It?s not what you would think of animation either. There are some very violent but powerful sequences near the end of the film.

The recent Canadian/UK television series is aimed towards kids of course, but I would imagine it?s a little complicated for children to understand. The series is different from the book and movie, but it tries to chronicle events from the book in an episodic way. I have only five episodes on dvd so I really don?t know all of the tv series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've heard of The Animals of Farthing Wood.
    Unfortunately the U.S. has never picked up either series so I doubt I shall ever see it. =(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
    You should watch The Animals of Farthing Wood if you like Watership Down, a fantastic TV series =) . BBC 2, Weekdays, 6am.
    I used to love that series. I had all the books and everything.

But Whatership Down, never heard of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Scape
    I've heard of The Animals of Farthing Wood.
    I've seen a clip of that from somewhere's pretty Kool though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Watership Down sounds very interesting Scape! I'd be happy to read it if i could find it in a library, or a bookstore!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It should be pretty easy to find. If nothing else, you could always order the novel online. =) Author is Richard Adams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    never herd of any of em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe some links will help.

Watership Down (Novel)

Watership Down (DVD)

Here's a site with screenshots from Watership Down and The Plague Dogs which was also written by Richard Adams and made into an animated feature.
    http://furrypaws.landbeforetime.org/

You have your orders, soldier. Dare's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent! Another Watership Down fan!
    I've always loved the book, myself, though I've never seen the film adaptation. I think my library has it. I'll pick it up the next time I'm over there.

Providing Lea with quality curmudgeon and lurking services since 2004.
    Lea Felon: warned for the heinous crime of poking a badger with a spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    =) This has really interested me! I guess at first it is natural to think 'ok... rabbits :Psst:'
    but from what u and everyone on amazon has said, it seems to be really intriging! It's on my must-read list! Actually, i havn't read a book for ages. :woeisme:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess at first it is natural to think 'ok... rabbits :Psst:'
    Yeah, that is generally everyone's first reaction. =)

"A book (or movie) about bunnies?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Watership Down

How many fans of Watership down are there here? After TLK2, Watership down is my second favourite film. :kovusmile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw it when I was younger but I haven't really seen it in a long time.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been meaning to either read the book or watch the film for months now since Scape i think recommended it...i still havn't gotten around to it though

I'm sure i will someday though, and i know i'll enjoy it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OMFG.....that moive havent i seen sens i was like 3-5 years old....and i still rimeber it....not the moive itself....i only...well....reimeber it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I first saw this movie when I was about 10 and then I read the book a couple of years ago and fell in love with it, I saw the movie again and it's saw awesome. I'd could quite possible say that it's my fav movie after TLK. If you haven't seen it since you were younger, I recommend seeing it again or reading the book, or both! I'm planning on buying the DVD soon and I'm reading the book at the moment.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ive herd alot about it, but i never got to see it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by TakaTiger
    ive herd alot about it, but i never got to see it
    Same here!