Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Musically Speaking: How complete is your 1 1/2 soundtrack?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Musically Speaking: How complete is your 1 1/2 soundtrack?

Go back with me, if you will, four years ago.

Remember this? With a track list of just eight songs, this album literally left out a lot to be desired.

First track is Grazing in the Grass by Raven. I can stomach this song okay, but it isn't from the film itself - it's in her music video that accompanies it. Next is Digga Tunnah Dance by Vinx (who?), and while it's a fun rendition of the song, once again it's not the version played in the movie, but rather in the credits. Since when is the credits rendition of a song given precedence over the rendition found in the film itself?

At last, That's All I Need, a song taken from the actual 77 minutes of the sequel, and unlike the movie it has an actual ending; remember, the hyenas cut Timon off. Maybe that's the problem here - TLK 1 1/2 has so many interruptions during the course of the film that it never has a chance to complete its own songs?

Apparently that is the case, because next is a cut-and-paste of the original TLK Hakuna Matata. At this point I was wondering why I even bothered with this CD, even at its pathetically inexpensive $5.99 sticker. Similar story with The Lion Sleeps Tonight by Lebo; even though this song is in the movie, we've heard this all before, on Rhythm of the Pride Lands as well as Return to Pride Rock.

Drew K. & French add their version of Jungle Boogie, but again, not the version heard in the film.

Now here's the funny part. Tacked onto the end are just two of Don L Harper's original orchestral score - Timon's Traveling Theme and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It's an odd end to the album, if indeed it had much of a beginning, and it's so short to begin with.

So why on earth am I doing a review four years later? (Or perhaps the better question is, why on earth do I keep disappearing and reappearing on this forum?)

My answer is, despite the erratic, stop-and-go nature of TLK 1 1/2, there is still plenty to like about the score to this film. I especially enjoy the stirring, expressive theme given to Timon as he decides to leave his mom and the meerkat colony in search of something better - and this refrain can be heard many times over as the movie progresses.

Don L Harper's work on this sequel must be commended, for while he was compelled to re-score pieces from TLK for the scenes that coincide with the original, the rest of the film is filled with great musical moments - like a fun salsa number when Timon and Pumbaa first discover paradise...

...the forward-moving Timon Traveling Theme...

...and the moving piece for Alone in the World (a moment completely destroyed when the scene is paused and Timon sobs).

So the message I'm driving home is, isn't it a shame that the true redeeming quality of this sequel, its score, never gets to be enjoyed fully - not in the movie itself, and not on CD either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    .. i see no problem with the CD It has the songs that is in the movie, so what

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's compare/contrast for a bit.

The original TLK soundtrack includes four instrumental tracks: This Land, To Die For (my namesake), Under the Stars, and King of Pride Rock. A few tracks are mixes of scores, and while it is by no means complete, it certainly does better justice to TLK's score than the 1 1/2 CD does to its score.

And if we were worried our TLK music collection would be incomplete forever, we needn't have, thanks to this bootleg wonder:

Hardly a single gap remains.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Actually... there is a bootleg version of the TLK1.5 score. It's just not all that common on the "market" as it were.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *leans in* Oh really?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    YA RLY.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So it does exist. Really.

But bootleg CDs such as this are never meant for distribution; indeed, they're illegal.

I'm a big fan of movie scores, sometimes even more than the songs. It's a shame that the scores from the TLK universe do not get the same treatment as many other Disney films have on CD, such as Peter Pan, Snow White, and Pinocchio, all of which include nearly complete film scores.

My vote is for a complete instrumental release of TLK coinciding with the Blu-Ray release. (Asking for 1 1/2 is far too much wishful thinking.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hypothetically speaking, where would one go to find this bootleg "Complete Score"?

and I see what you mean 2DieFr, the soundtrack is kinda jumbled

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hypothetically... *cough*PM*cough*.

Oy got something in my throat there.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    OMG ! where is that 1 1/5 one to be found ??

I agree though, the original soundtrack is just wastefull, haha.
    Now, if it would have the normal "Digga Tunnah" song on it which is actually in the movie, it would already be a lot better in my opinion.

Amanda, you got a little cough there

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I do have a bit of a cough.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Could you maybe... ? *blush*

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OMG I didn't even know that these bootlegs existed I gotta find out where to get them I love all the music from the movies ^_^ I always wondered why they cut the TLK 1.5 soundtrack short lol.

P.S. You might wanna get that cough checked HasiraKali
    Siggy pic made by Simba '04

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by ?nathalie?
    Could you maybe... ? *blush*
    Cough on you? That could be arranged.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Upload the bootleg and give it to me, please

Seriously is there a bootleg for TLK 3: Hakuna Matata? Any possible link or site?
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ah, you should get that checked out HK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh yes, I too was also very dissapointed in the 1 1/2 soundtrack. Yes it has the songs, but I like to hear the movie versions of the songs, not the credit versions.

I have always wanted TLK complete score.. though I've heard something about the timing being a little off for it or something?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Azerane
    I have always wanted TLK complete score.. though I've heard something about the timing being a little off for it or something?
    It depends which version it is. The original one had a timing issues as well as some miss labeled tracks. There's a newer version that someone kindly fixed all around.

*Team Night Sky*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Before we get to business, let me hand out cough drops to everyone. Lots of nasty colds going around in the winter, and I just got over mine, and besides there's no need getting sick over this matter.

Like most bootlegs, the 18 tracks that make up the unofficial, so illegal score of TLK 1 1/2 are not the highest bitrate; the ones I found are only 128 kbps, which isn't the best, but the sound quality is quite good regardless. (If someone out there has a higher bitrate, PM me!) Also, the tracks are fairly short; most of them are around 1-2 minutes. Furthermore, the names given for the tracks are uninspiring to say the least - like "Timone and Pumba Meet" and "Timone and Pumba Split." That's right, both feature characters' names are misspelled. Even worse, the tracks are all out of order. :woeisme:

That's why I am now working on the full-length, start-to-finish, everything you wanted and more soundtrack of The Lion King 1 And A Half (with emphasis on the ONE, not the HALF!) I am giving the score tracks more creative, representative names, and I'm editing the tracks themselves so that the order you hear the music is the same as you do in the film - without sacrificing sound quality or messing with the actual data.

This is as close as you're gonna get to being able to hear TLK 1 1/2 in its entirety.

One problem. I haven't got the DVD with me here at college so I can't get the actual "Digguh Tunnuh" song off of it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, coolness 2DieFR!