Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TLK Fandom?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well for me, I'm just pretty much known as a movie nut. I watch just about any kind of movie I can get my hands on. So, my family/friends etc. are used to me obsessing over a whole variety of different movies, and therefore, just see TLK as just another movie of one particular type that I fawn over a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well..... none of my friends or family knows that I like TLK. Nobody knows what I like at all... cuz I hide it... I hide everything ~_~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i have shared that i love lion king with my friends and of course they think i am a freak but in telling some of my friends, they revealed that they loved the movie as well. So i would have to say about at least 25% of my friends said they loved, 25% kind of expected it, and 50% said that i am a very weird person. My family very well knows i love the movie and make fun of me for it, but who cares, TLK RULES!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, glad to know I'm not the only one

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    How can people make fun of you for liking TLK? I just don't get it... It's a good movie.
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My (former) coworkers know that I'm a TLK fan, but one of them has two cats named Simba and Nala and sings the songs at work, so in a way I'm beat, even if she doesn't know what CotPL stands for.

One of my friends called me a "sap" the other day (by which I think he meant "sensitive" or "childish," not its actual definition, which is stupid or weak) but I can't take him seriously when his entire bedroom is covered wall-to-wall with anime figurines, posters, and Sonic the Hedgehog memorabilia. (You'd probably get along well with him, Benzai )

Heck, even my dad's really in to it. He's watched all three movies with me.

I think I get more groans from people who can't stand the unbearably slow (for them) movies I enjoy watching, such as Ghost World, American Splendor, American Beauty, Slingblade, Judy Berlin (an independant movie I just love, for some reason), etc. Or the BBC miniseries Gormenghast. Or Babylon 5, with its very involving story arc which makes it unapproachable for those unwilling to do a little research or start from the beginning.

But again, there are two sides to everything. I think the Lord of the Rings movies are unbearably long. Their being long is justifiable. They're rich in scenery and plot. I just can't watch them all the time.

As I see it, that's the difference. Others know that they like The Lion King, but it may not be something that they feel is appropriate for them to watch based on a perceived expectation of role, e.g. adult vs. child, or masculine toughness vs. feminine sensitivity, and they will chastize you for pushing one of these boundaries, when they wish they could do so themselves. Or, it is something that they can't see themselves devoting a lot of time to, and will consequently judge others who do. This is all just speculation on my part, but I suspect that this may be part of the reason why others have reacted the way they do to our particular interest in this movie.

It's fine for others to have interests that are different than yours. Diversity of thought and opinion makes the world go 'round, so to speak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I havn't told anybody i know because its almost certain they would mock me, and i certainly don't want to feel bad about my LK addiction!

Woes, you are right about why people tease those who like TLK. They have expectations of what you would watch based on child vs. adult and those others. They immediately associate cartoon animation with children's movies. Shows how much they don't think things through - TLK is NOT a childrens movie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sharifu
    How can people make fun of you for liking TLK? I just don't get it... It's a good movie.
    everyone has their own interests and if they don't like something that you like then more than likely they are going to take it down becuase they really have nothing better to do with their lives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While on the subject of mockery, the other week I bought a Lion King CD from HMV. The guy at the check-out laughed at me, asked me if I had picked up the right CD and informed me that "the goth section is on the next level". Looks aren't everything, ya know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When i went to get the TLK soundtrack i actually had a worker at Circuit City come over and help me get the SE version instead of the double pack becuase SE had two new songs, so he talked me into it. When i went to the check out counter they just rang it up like it was nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    bah, stupid thing ate my post . gotta remeber the limit on those smileys *sigh*. but in short, if people like me can like TLK then there is hope for this world

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woes you're right on, as are you DerekNitro Society has this horrible habit of trying to decide what your life should be like for you, try to shape you into its image.

It tells you what clothes to wear, what music to listen to, what you watch, what cars to drive, what job you should take, how you talk, and who you should be with. Lotsa people follow it. Lotsa people also follow it who would rather not but do anyway. And then there those who go completely against it Did that make any sense?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    When I was still in school, no-one cared about me, so they didn't care about what I did in my free time.

I was in college for 1 day (not really college, it's little different in Belgium).
    And I was learning for kindergarten teacher.
    So it worked out fine then, haha, think lots of little kids like Disney, so I had nothing to worry about.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Nephilim
    While on the subject of mockery, the other week I bought a Lion King CD from HMV. The guy at the check-out laughed at me, asked me if I had picked up the right CD and informed me that "the goth section is on the next level". Looks aren't everything, ya know.
    Now thats a bunch of rubbish!! *grrr* Show me t him....

I'll take care of him right, after a nice long pub visit first, then agian after!!

All for ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah...thats the spirit LKD let him 'ave it!

Just wait a bit so I can watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hate when people do that.
    nothing like that has ever happened to me, like when the Disney stores where still around, i would just breeze into there look around, and pickup a TLK plush toy or whatever, and go to the counter to pay and i have never been given any weird looks or anything like it

but if that ever happens to me, boy will they get it
    ill probably make a big scene out of it, just to see what they would do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know I remember now. When I was on the plane coming to England, the man was was sitting next to me saw my laptop's background and made a comment. "That is tacky" he said.

I remember saying something back to him but i wasn't really in the proper state to be having a 'chat' with anyone!

But that was srange because it led into like a 3 hour Disney convo! and more drinks for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha. People can be so rude. I'd never say anything like that to someone. [size=tiny]Mostly because I'm a coward...[/size]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha. People can be so rude. I'd never say anything like that to someone. [size=tiny]Mostly because I'm a coward...[/size]
    You are not a coward!
    you're just better than that xD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hehe, I am incredibly nervous in real life, so it probably is the first. But I try to be poliet anyway.