Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driving Lessons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SimbaTheMighty
    I believe Gas is on the right and brake on the left at least on our cars. The biggest mistake you can do with pedals is press brake with right foot... I have tried it and trust me it's not working too well... either it wont slow down or you make sudden stops.
    Really? Over here you're taught to use your right foot for both the gas and the brake pedals and the left foot is for the clutch only. Because if you need to perform an emergency stop you'll need your left foot free to press the clutch down while you're braking so that the car doesn't stall and lurch forward even more.

That's what we're taught anyway...

EDIT: Typos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by SVelasquez
    Alright this is the best advice I got.

1. Gas is on the left, brake is on the right (DON'T CONFUSE THE TWO!)

2. Always come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

3. The best way to combat stupid idiots who fake out jumping in front of your car is to blow the horn the moment they least expect it.

4. Pedestrians are worth 500 points. 1,000 if they are old people.

5. Make sure your parking brake is off before driving.

That ends my comical list. Here's the serious list:
    ...now that's advice to live (well, drive) by..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Once when you get your licence all you need is this:
    http://webbsgraphics.com/decals/images/MG%20Hits.gif

As you can see. Normal people dont count. It would be too easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by shadow
    well am gona start driving preety soon but i think il wait until the winters over..
    Yeah, some will say that it's better to start during the Winter as the weather's more unsettled, and it gets you more used to driving in more hazardous conditions, but I'd start whenever you feel comfortable. There's nothing worse than feeling under pressure. I know I was a tad nervous on my first lesson, but afterwards I felt really good about myself. It was my first time driving a car and it was loads of fun once all the theory stuff had been explained. It's like learning to ride a bike, something you never forget about. Now for me, it's a natural thing to change to the correct gear for the appropriate speed. When I first started and on my first few lessons my instructor had to tell me what to do, now I do it almost automatically.

Driving's awesome.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bingo KS

Are you driving on the right hand side? and drive on the Left side?
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Phoenix
    Are you driving on the right hand side? and drive on the Left side?
    We drive on the left hand side of the road on the right hand side of the car....the way it's meant to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *phew* I pass my whole exam today
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so yu have the licence now? Perfect to start hitting pedestrians!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i went home to my parents place this weekend to fix papers for my visum, and sunday night my bro and i went to see Rattatouille-whatever-its-spelled. I told my bro it was good i could practise my driving a bit since i havent been driving since the summer (cuz cant have cars around here when we build the garage). I drove some in town and then out on the highway.
    It went better than i thought, and i had my bros car that i have never been driving before .. Also copied my license and papers today for visum as well. I started drive 4 years ago now

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Tiikeri
    We drive on the left hand side of the road on the right hand side of the car....the way it's meant to be.
    Why do you say that? I believe we, with STM, looked online about that, and that most of the world does the opposite.
    Thank you to the talented KanuTGL for my avatar!
    My Lion King Fan-Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Sharifu
    Why do you say that? I believe we, with STM, looked online about that, and that most of the world does the opposite.
    Yeah I know, it was an example of typical British banter When it comes down to it, there actually is no right or wrong side of the car/road to be on. Each to their own as they say...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I know, it was an example of typical British banter When it comes down to it, there actually is no right or wrong side of the car/road to be on. Each to their own as they say...
    Is the gas pedal to the left or the right of the break pedal for you guys? I've always wanted to know...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by lion_roog
    Is the gas pedal to the left or the right of the break pedal for you guys? I've always wanted to know...
    The accelerator is to the right of the brake pedal.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving..._left_or_right

Looks like I have no problem driving in England after all

*Buy a ticket and goes to England *

But most country who drive on the left are British Commonwealth except for Canada.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i cant imagine how hard must be when you are used to drive on a right side and then you go to england or so...
    My uncle once went there. he was driving a truck and after some time he forgot about sides. After some time there was car coming in a a opposite direction straing into him. no one wanted to move becouse they were both sure they are right. Ofcourse - the guy in a car escaped on the other side of the road. It wasn't smart to get crushed by a truck. And only after driving pass him and thinking what was the metter with that guy, my uncle remembered he's not home!

I would like to go and try myself. I would probably stop when i would have to turn somewhere and stay there like an idiot, thinking how to go anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In all honesty, I think the first thing new drivers should do is find a fairly twisty, unpopular road, and driving it. That way, you "connect" with the car and can estimate its limits far better. From there on, you can go through traffic, intersections, etc. with more confidence because the car feels more like an extension of you. I would also practice parking a lot in empty parking lots so you get the hang of it down (do all kinds of parking- parallel, slotted, and back up into a space). I would recommend driving for more than 40 hours, so if unforeseen circumstances arise during your test, you will know how to handle them.

The analogy I have for it is riding a horse versus driving a carriage. When you ride a horse with a saddle, you are far more involved and can tell what the horse is doing. When you drive a carriage, you're hoping that your commands register with the horse, but it's difficult to see how he's really responding.

Driving at night is more difficult, because it feels as though you are going faster than you really are. It's not very different if you go into a city, though, because the street lamps help quite a bit.

Not true! The right side of the road is right, damnit! If you Brits would make more cars left hand drive, it would be far easier for us Americans to import your cars!