Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Lessons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Driving Lessons

Ok, I have a couple of questions for all you drivers out there. How many lessons or hours did you have to take until you were ready for your driving test? xP I'm just curious, because my driving school says you need about 40 hours depending on the learner, but really I'm not sure.

And what's it like driving at night? I'm asking this because I have a driving lesson tonight at 5pm, and it'll be pitch black. I'm just really nervous about it, even moreso since last lesson I made quite a few mistakes, and that was in the daytime. People have also told me that it's twice as hard driving at night than it is when it's light.

So yeah, I'm really looking for advice and views (if this belongs in the Community Advice Thread then let me know) And if anybody's thinking of starting to learn soon and looking for advice or whatever, then feel free to post it in here.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    40 Hours omg..... I'm only do 10 hours and one exam from the Road Transport Department.
    My last class is tomorrow and complete the 10 hours class
    Advice: don't get too nervous on the wheel, all you need to do is keep your eyes on the roads and know how to change the gear.

Driving at night? I can't drive at night without my glasses
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i guess i wontbe to much help since driving education here is different .. x)

Driving at night is fun i think, but its much harder and dangerous, considering you only see same things and its black around you, you get tired faster and more un concentrated as the surrounding is so monton. I think thats the word, right? You must also remember switch the lights alot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    which reminds me - do not use beamlight (?) during night traffic, which is irritate me >.> if some dude flashes me from the front.

We can drive it home with one headlight well that's what Jakob Dylan says
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's mandatory here that each learner driver must do a minimum of 50 hours of driving before they can go for their P's (which is driving on your own, they just give you that as you're a new driver or whatever) 10 hours of that driving has to be night driving.

With driving at night, basically just be watchful. I find that during the day, I tend to check my position in the lane from my side mirrors, but I can't do that at night. It's also harder to judge how fast a car is coming along, because all you see is the headlights. So if you're unsure, ask the instructor (or whoever you're driving with). But my mum always tells me, just to go when I'm comfortable with going (if I'm crossing over traffic or whatever)
    It is easier to get sleepy at night, especially if you're driving long distances, so be wary of that. If you're feeling tired or drowsy because of it, don't push on, you could end up tuning out etc.

I don't mean to scare you though, all the road rules are the same at night, you've just got to be more aware of choosing your gaps and things. I'm sure you'll be fine.

EDIT: Also, just thought of something, with night driving, it's harder because you can't see where you're going to, like you can in the day, around corners and such. You can only see where your headlights shine. (Unless the street is well lit of course)
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say overal I was learning just past the 40 hours that they require you to do. It took me a while because I wasn't very confident because my old driving instructor was an *** and really put me off driving all together which is slightly sad because I would of been driving a lot sooner.

I wouldn't worry about night driving is anything I love driving at night than I do during the day. That and I have to drive in the pitch dark at 6:00am.
    Shouldn't worry about it Tara; besides we all need to go there and get used to it. Sure you'll be fine ^^.
    Members I have had the pleasure to meet: STM [x2], Sharifu [x2], Taneli [x2], King Simba [x4], Shadow [x1], Nathalie [x2], Lucy Lioness [x2], This Land [x4], Daniel [x2], Nephilim [x1], KanuTGL [x2], Revo [x1], Naline [x1], FCSimba [x9], Leorgathar [x1]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ive been Riding at night quite alot for the past 22 months. isnt as scary as you make it to be.
    Somtimes, night driving is in fact safer in some cases, eg, you are are about to go around a blind corner, you can actually see if a car is approaching as their headlights are on and you can see the reflection off buildings/others cars etc.

Just keep a sharp eye, dont be pressurised to be moderate speed, go slower then normal of you want, because in the end. they are just looking if you are a safe driver ^^

Good luck Tara ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Driving is teh pwn!

@ Night, go slower and don't outdrive your headlights (Can you stop within the range of what you can see?), remember the lights can't "look" through a turn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i just got mine about 3 weeks ago. i had 27 with final one. depends on school.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I passed my test in May 2005, and I started lessons in September 2004. I usually had 2 hour lessons every other week, so work it out x) The only reason it took as long as it did is because I kept failing my theory because I kept spacing out in the hazard perception exams and forgot to click (curse my ADD :P)

As for driving at night, I find it somewhat easier than driving during the day, especially on country roads and the like. Apart from that there's not much difference, you just need to keep a sharp eye out for peds who don't seem to look before crossing these days.

I'm sure you'll be fine though ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As a fellow driver, I recommend not hitting things or getting into car accidents.

Seriously though, at night just do what Darkslash said, don't out-drive your headlights. Also, if you find yourself in a situation where there's an animal in front of you and you can't stop in time, I hate to say it, but you're better off hitting the animal. If you can safely brake, do so, but if not, your safety and the safety of others on the road take priority over the animal's well-being, and going into a ditch at 50mph to avoid hitting a rabbit will most likely kill you. The only time that's not the case is when hitting the animal is more dangerous to you than hitting the ditch (ie, a horse, cow, large deer, etc...). It's sad, I absolutely hate it when I hit a possum or rabbit on the road and my night is ruined, but it's better to be alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah agree with Pnt on this one since I've been in this situation before myself at 6:00am in the morning.
    I tried to break after a badger shot out of the hedge on a blind corner...seeing as it was a little too late to break I had to hit the thing.

And amazingly all I got away with was a small crack on the bumper and one of my lower lights being pushed back a little. Better than death anyday you ask me; sure could of been worse trying to dodge the bugger.
    Members I have had the pleasure to meet: STM [x2], Sharifu [x2], Taneli [x2], King Simba [x4], Shadow [x1], Nathalie [x2], Lucy Lioness [x2], This Land [x4], Daniel [x2], Nephilim [x1], KanuTGL [x2], Revo [x1], Naline [x1], FCSimba [x9], Leorgathar [x1]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^Actually, it's illegal here to brake or swerve to avoid an animal when there's other traffic around, as it's regarded as reckless/dangerous driving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Driving at night is pretty scary but after a couple times you get used to it. like Darkslash and Pnt said, just don't go too fast. and in England it must be so much harder!!! your roads are so tiny I personally think driving in heavy rain is scarier, it' really hard to see =x

I'm not that big a fan of driving, but i have to say it's pretty cool to think that I can drive now. x) I'm quite excited to get my license!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Lunarcat
    Driving at night is pretty scary but after a couple times you get used to it.
    I passed my driving test, got my licence but i didnt had even 1 hour of night driving. There were some but only on paper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^Really? That's pretty crazy. I find that strange because night driving is a different experience to driving in daylight. That's missing a whole area of needed experience in my opinion. Not saying you're a bad driver. I just think the system is wrong. I think even the mandatory 10 hours of night driving that I'm put with, isn't even really that much and that it should be higher. Especially considering, that most new drivers are 16-23-ish years old, and they're the people who often go out at night and are driving around in the dark, so that experience is really vital.

By the way KS, how did your driving go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I had my lesson, and driving at night is easier than I expected. Thanks everyone. ^^

Originally posted by Azerane

By the way KS, how did your driving go?
    My lesson went alright thanks. It could've been better but I think I handled the roundabouts and the night driving pretty good. I made a few minor mistakes (yes minor, but my instructor seemed to react to them like they were major) but I guess that was because it was my first time driving at night and that it took a little getting used to.

Originally posted by Phoenix
    40 Hours omg..... I'm only do 10 hours and one exam from the Road Transport Department.
    Well yeah, they're pretty strict in the UK when it comes to driving. You also need to take a theory and a practical test.

My sister passed her practical first time round, but it took my mum and dad about 3 or 4 attempts. They were much older when they started learning though. I'm only 17, but they say it's best to learn when you're young.

Originally posted by Tiikeri
    I passed my test in May 2005, and I started lessons in September 2004. I usually had 2 hour lessons every other week, so work it out x)
    It didn't take you that long to pass then, I know it takes some people over a year to get anywhere near to passing their test (it took my mum one to two years) And from what I saw of you, you were a pretty good driver.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Azerane
    Not saying you're a bad driver. I just think the system is wrong.
    Its not the system. I should have night hours too. But no one cant check if you really had them or they are just on paper.
    And you can call me bad driver. I'm not good yet. after few years maybe but now. I just want to speed off road even if i wrek a car. Thats why i want to get 1 cheap car to crash it and another one to drive arround.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by King Simba

Well yeah, they're pretty strict in the UK when it comes to driving. You also need to take a theory and a practical test.

My sister passed her practical first time round, but it took my mum and dad about 3 or 4 attempts. They were much older when they started learning though. I'm only 17, but they say it's best to learn when you're young.
    I'm pretty much like your parent, I mean the theory test. Actually I take the theory test twice because of my "laziness", and the stuff department help me out on the theory test so hehe *is evil*.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Driving at night is easier...not nearly as many cars and people to worry about. But you have to watch out for those people that think it's cool for them to run red lights and stop signs because of the reduction in traffic.

As long as you're not driving recklessly and tailgating and all, driving is easy...you just have to pay attention to what everyone else is doing.